• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra ED Eye Relief (1 Viewer)

Expect corrected ER figures to be posted on Zeiss web sites soon.

Lee

Toubador,

It doesn't fill me with much confidence if they can't get this right.

To be honest, I've not been impressed with Zeiss on this issue. The Conquest HD 8x42 is supposed to have 18mm eye relief but I had terrible trouble with it. I have to hold the binocular well away from my glasses to get a good image. I complained to Zeiss but they said there was no issue. I've used binoculars with longer eye relief and never had a problem.

Amateur hour from Zeiss!

Toubador,

It doesn't fill me with much confidence if they can't get this right.

To be honest, I've not been impressed with Zeiss on this issue. The Conquest HD 8x42 is supposed to have 18mm eye relief but I had terrible trouble with it. I have to hold the binocular well away from my glasses to get a good image. I complained to Zeiss but they said there was no issue. I've used binoculars with longer eye relief and never had a problem.

Amateur hour from Zeiss!

Hi Petrus

I don't blame you for being frustrated. Put human beings in any loop and eventually something will not go as planned.

Your Conquest HD does have generous eye relief but the original eyecups were a little too short. Don't ask me how these things happen but similar stuff happens to all the top bins brands from time to time.

The good news is that replacement eyecups that will bring your eyes into the correct position are available. Contact customer services at Zeiss UK and they will be pleased to help.

Lee

Hi Petrus

I don't blame you for being frustrated. Put human beings in any loop and eventually something will not go as planned.

Your Conquest HD does have generous eye relief but the original eyecups were a little too short. Don't ask me how these things happen but similar stuff happens to all the top bins brands from time to time.

The good news is that replacement eyecups that will bring your eyes into the correct position are available. Contact customer services at Zeiss UK and they will be pleased to help.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I wear glasses so it was with the eye pieces down that I had the problem. I fail to understand how I can use a binocular with 24mm eye relief but can't with the Zeiss at 18mm! The mind boggles.

Anyway, I actually swapped the 42 for the 32. I think the 32 is a better performer.

Peter

Hi Lee,

I wear glasses so it was with the eye pieces down that I had the problem. I fail to understand how I can use a binocular with 24mm eye relief but can't with the Zeiss at 18mm! The mind boggles.

Anyway, I actually swapped the 42 for the 32. I think the 32 is a better performer.

Peter

Hi Peter

Don't let it boggle your mind. Its because the ER is not the full story. It doesn't matter what the ER is if the eyecup doesn't deliver your eye to the same spot as where the ER is.

So the effectiveness on the system depends on the partnership between where the optics puts the ER and where the eyecup puts your eye: it needs to be in the same place.

Actually the 32 is a particular favourite of mine but now the eyecup issues are sorted the 8x42 is brilliant too.

Binocular manufacturers aren't the only ones to make mistakes. Aston Martin and Toyota are in the process of recalling thousands of cars and Porsche is having to replace all the engines in the current 911 GT3 model.

Glad you are happy with your Conquest HD 32, it's brilliant value.

Lee

Guys

The Zeiss Germany website has been amended.

ER for the 8x is 18 mm ie no change.
ER for 10x is 16 mm, not 14 mm as was previously stated.

Lee

They must measure the eye relief differently than I do.

The eye cup is fully extended and a thin metal ruler is extended down to the edge of the ocular and eye balled at the point where it meets the top of the eye cup. It's about 14mm on the 8x42. That works out to just a bit more than 1/2" as seen on the inch scale of the ruler. 4mm more than that would be easy to see.

I brace the eye cup under my eyebrows when I use the binocular so it seems possible that the ER may extend a bit more to reach my pupils.

Bob

Hi Bob

I'm not sure what this proves as there has to be an allowance for the distance between your pupils and the top of the eyecup.

Anyway a similar measurement done on an HT 8x42 shows the height of the eyecup to be about 13mm plus a bit. Not sure exactly as I was nervous of getting the ally ruler too close to the lens. HT is listed as having 16mm ER.

Lee

I think the Victory FL's all had 16mm ER also. My 7x42 does. That is really an easy binocular to use! A picture window view!

Bob

They must measure the eye relief differently than I do.

The eye cup is fully extended and a thin metal ruler is extended down to the edge of the ocular and eye balled at the point where it meets the top of the eye cup. It's about 14mm on the 8x42. That works out to just a bit more than 1/2" as seen on the inch scale of the ruler. 4mm more than that would be easy to see.

I brace the eye cup under my eyebrows when I use the binocular so it seems possible that the ER may extend a bit more to reach my pupils.

Bob

I would believe you ceasar. I have ER issues with both the 10x42 and 8x32 versions of the Conquest HD, an otherwise great glass.

I would believe you ceasar. I have ER issues with both the 10x42 and 8x32 versions of the Conquest HD, an otherwise great glass.

I had a hopeless time with the 10x42 and 8x42, but find the 8x32 works like a charm - eyecups full out / full in / whatever - as easy as the HT or FL.

I was fine with the 8x42 (didn't try the 10x) and just excellent with the 8x32.

When you start to think of all the variables of face contours and dimensions and the same for eyeglasses, getting this right must be a nightmare.

I am always blathering on about the precision needed when matching eyecup dimensions to ER but I am begining to think I am talking rubbish (don't need you lot to start agreeing loudly here :smoke:) because its maybe the case that the more precision you enforce the more likely it is for this interface to work perfectly for a few people and not at all for rather a lot.

Lee

I thought Zeiss has brought out another eyecup for the Conquest.

Has anyone who was having trouble tried the new one?

I find the standard one works well for me. But then, I have not found a
binocular that I could not get to work well because of eye relief. I don't
wear glasses.
Jerry

I thought Zeiss has brought out another eyecup for the Conquest.

Has anyone who was having trouble tried the new one?

I find the standard one works well for me. But then, I have not found a
binocular that I could not get to work well because of eye relief. I don't
wear glasses.
Jerry

Jerry,

The replacement eyecups for the 8x42 were supposed to be available at the end of January, however, when they arrived at Zeiss USA, the eyecups had an assembly error so they were sent back to Germany, and they were supposed to be corrected and returned in about two weeks. So they should be available if there were no further problems. Mike Jensen could probably give you an update if you PM him.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back