• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Updates for Bird-Finding guide to Panama (1 Viewer)

dnsallen

I found this book by Angehr, Engleman and Engleman very useful on my recent trip to Panama, even though it was aimed at a slightly different audience from my style of birding. But it is at least 3 years old and some bits need updating.
For example, p195 details a road that goes to the transmission towers. That road is now very well paved, and continues on past the towers to a pumping station that helps the oleo through the oleoducto. However, the last part in particular is very steep in places, but certainly good for a 2wd if you are allowed access through the gate at the tower.
I couldn't find the continental divide trail beyond about 1.2km. It seemed to be overgrown. This trail and others off the tower road had birds that were very fearful of humans, possibly owing to excessive specimen collection.
p192 the Quebrada Aleman trail seemed to be overgrown, though a trail from near the Fortuna office west over the hill to Fortuna was easily walkable, though with very nervous birds.
Good budget accommodation is available the Lost-and-found hostel near Valle de la Mina:
http://www.lostandfoundlodge.com/lostandfoundlodge.com/Eco_Resort.html
They also have some of their own trails in the forest, over the ridge and along the Rio Hornito, which are quite productive for birds, and the lodge also has visiting mammals.

p233 The Verrugosa trail was accessible for about 900m but could be cleared further.
p234 Willi Mazu - the lodge seems to be no longer in operation, but the trails are still maintained. Checkout the minicafe opposite run by Isabel, who is a birdguide.
p212 Volcan Lakes: if you take a taxi there - $2 from Volcan - the driver will probably drop you at the end of the airfield, and not cross it as per instructions in the guide, and if so the directions given are not useful. There is a sign saying 'prohibido el paso' there but apparently that is not relevant. Marshland starts shortly after entering this area, on either side of the track.
p216 Los Quetzales Lodge is a nice place to stay. Dormitory accommodation is now $18 per night, up from $12 in the guide.
p209 The book talks about a turning with signs for Buena Vista and Bajo Frio. It seem the community at that corner is Buena Vista, and that is what you ask the bus conductor for. The trail goes along and then down to Bajo Frio.
If I remember more I will post.
Des

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back