• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

objective lens - so size does matter? (1 Viewer)

Waldyo

Hi All,

I'm "still" looking at purchasing my first spotting scope, main use hunting/nature observation plus occasional range use.

After looking thru a few threads I get the idea that anything over 40 mag. is a bit excessive unless real top quality gear. Also read a few comments that large objective will brighten up a view significantly given everything else is equal.

Scopes I'm considering vary from a 12-36x50 (Wedgetail -nice compact and reasonable quality) to 18-54x55 (Olivon -middle ground compromise) to 20-60x80 (Acuter pro series - bigger is better type thing).

Given I can always just use the 20-60x80 on say 40x and make use of the large objective I'm starting to think that may be my best option?

There is always the comment "buy the best you can afford" in this case the 12-36x50 may give me a better view at x36 but is hampered by a smaller objective lens?

So does size trump a potential small increase in quality?

Cheers,
Waldyo

Hi Waldyo.

What price convenience? A scope is pretty dependent on a good support to give comfortable views, so you have to think of a scope/tripod combo, not just a scope.
If convenience and portability are key for you, go for a small scope and a monopod.
Of course, hand held on a shoulder stock is even more portable, but a monopod does allow for fairly long observation even given the usual finicky scope view.
However, for ease of view and comfort, a big scope on a solid tripod is definitely the way to go, provided that the extra weight and bulk are not an issue. You will not really see any more, but you will surely see it better with a big setup, albeit at the price of increased weight.

Well, I bit the bullet and just ordered the Acuter Pro Series 20-60x80, should be here in a few days then I'll go shopping for a tripod.

At the price it was a bit hard to pass up :)

Cheers,
Waldyo

I've just bought the same scope, be good to see how we compare it to each other, however this will be my 4th scope, so I can also compare it to those has this scope is a upgrade on lens size and a few other factors, fov, ext. Damian

I've just bought the same scope, be good to see how we compare it to each other, however this will be my 4th scope, so I can also compare it to those has this scope is a upgrade on lens size and a few other factors, fov, ext. Damian

I'll be interested to hear how it compares to your previous scopes, as for me no point of reference but keen to look thru it.

Cheers,
Waldyo

I picked up an Inca I5315 H/P tripod this morning, it looks OK at a glance still waiting for the scope to arrive though.
Cheers,
Waldyo

Still have to wait a little longer for mine also, be good to get your first impressions if yours arrives first.
Waldyo you said in a early post you had nothing to compare the scope with, so am I right in thinking you haven't even used a scope before. ?

Thanks Damian.

No previous spotting scope experience so nothing to compare it to.

Hopefully it should arrive Monday or Tuesday next week?

The scope will see service deer spotting over the warmer months (Aus) and hopefully get some decent pics thru it?

Cheers,
Waldyo

The scope turned up yesterday, only had a brief look thru it today and first impressions are pretty good. Just set it up on the tripod at the garage door and looked at a tree over the top of the house and it focused up nice and sharp. Adjustments worked smoothly and view was nice and crisp, not a thorough test by a long shot but looks promising.

Cheers,
Waldyo

Hi there. Just wondered if you've had a chance to do anymore with the scope yet. It's one I'm looking at too for my first scope. cheers. Les

Hi there. Just wondered if you've had a chance to do anymore with the scope yet. It's one I'm looking at too for my first scope. cheers. Les

Hey Les,

No not yet but I have today off so may head out this arvo and stash a trail camera out bush and do a little spotting. I'll report back if I get out.

Cheers,
Waldyo

Well, I bit the bullet and just ordered the Acuter Pro Series 20-60x80, should be here in a few days then I'll go shopping for a tripod.

At the price it was a bit hard to pass up :)

The Acuter model numbers can be a bit confusing as they all seem to be designated 'Pro'.

I am thinking about the Acuter DS Pro series, (with the 100mm objective lens), which might also double up for a bit of sky watching, as well as terrestrial. The DS Pro series seem to be an upgraded version, and have the dual focusing buttons with fine tuning, and standard 1.25" interchangeable eyepieces, which are apparently better quality, and with better lens coatings. Does anyone have the DS Pro model? If so, are the improvements on the DS models worth the extra cost over the standard Pro models?

Every review I have read about the Acuters seems to be positive, and even more so when the price is taken into account, so they appear to be very good value for the money.

Last edited:
I have the Acuter 100mm version. The supplied cover is not a "stay on" as such. More of just a storage bag. If anyone finds a stay on cover to fit this scope please post here. I may just resort to non adhesive camo tape. Pleased with the scope for the price and extra eyepieces are as cheap as chips and give a better image than the supplied zoom in my opinion.

Damian and Les,

A quick update, my acuter spotter got wrapped up on xmas eave for xmas and then unwrapped again on xmas day! I haven't had a chance to get out bush with it yet but set it up this morning on the front verandah, picked a spot thru the trees and found a clear patch on the hill the other side of town. No idea how far it is but I reckon a deer would be visible at that range which is a damn long way!

Contrast at x60 is pretty good given it was a clear morning with a slight amount of heat shimmer evident, wound back to 45-50x and contrast improved without the loss of magnification being all that evident. So far I'm pretty impressed, I'll head out over the next week or so and see if I can spot a deer or two.

Cheers,
Waldyo

Waldyo i got mine just over a week ago and i am very impressed with the scope, far better than my previous scopes (Celstron Ultima 65, Opticron HR60, Barr and Stroud Sahara 20x60x80). Far better than i had expected with the price been so low, however i have put in a Opticron eps 15x45 and it is even better, with excellent magnification even at 45. Also the Acuter eps have had some good reviews for there price and have been recomended to myself on a couple of occasions, all in all a cracking scope.

John i have been told that the Opticron HR80 fits the Acuter 80mm, similar design, i am just going to buy 1 and try it, if it does not fit i will just send it back.

Damian. :)

Thanks Damian, great to have my initial thoughts confirmed. Always hard when you have no base line for reference.
Cheers,
Waldyo

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back