• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular choice (1 Viewer)

Bash

Bash by name not by nature
Hi there.......My name is Paul and I am from Cheshire, I am new to this website after finding it more by accident, I have only recently got into bird watching after having a great week at Griffon Forest in Yorkshire, it was fantastic, I have always been interested in wild life but this looks like it is going to be my hobby, I am 51 yrs old and never really had the time with work and so on, any way my dilemma.........!
I have been looking around at binoculars and have narrowed it down to 2 pairs, they are within my budget with the right magnification for me both quite similary matched, however one is waterproof and one is just weather resistant and that is the only real difference, the models are as follows:

1. Nikon Monarch 8x36 DCF.

2. Pentax 8x36 DCF HS.

Has anybody got any advice or suggestions they could help me out with, I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks........confused. :h?:

Paul.

As I remember, the Monarch is brighter. Pentaxes can be good, but not so much in the low end. If you are looking at 36mm, there are also some 32mm models worthy of testing. I like Bushnells Legend 8x32. Try Opticron too.

Bushnell Excursion 8x42 has some durability issues, but it should have warranty for a few years.

Hello Paul,
First, on behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum. As to your binocular question - my wife has the Nikon Monarch 8X42 and loves them. I don't have any experience with the Pentax.

Waterproof isn't an absolute requirement for normal birding, but it is helpful for pelagics and tropical birding where rains can catch you suddenly and without close shelter. If there isn't much price or optics difference, WaterProof would be my choice.

Hi there

I looked through both of these at a local Jessops and could not decide which was the better view. The Pentax are larger in the hand and may be more comfortable over time while the Nikons are smaller but felt little different in weight.

While I ended up buying a pair of Leupold Yosemite 8x30 from the USA, which I think are better than either, I am sure that you would not be disappointed whichever you choose.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve.......thanks for the info, I to went to Jessops but they did not have the Nikons in stock, I just happened to read a small review on them and there did not seem much to choose between them.
Thanks again..........Paul.
Cheshire.

Hi Dave.......firstly thankyou for your welcome, many thanks for your input regarding mu choice of binoculars, it is always good to get first hand advice from some one who uses a product you are thinking of purchasing, I know it is not imperative to have the waterproof option........and hey, I live in the UK......we gotta fly that rainy flag.....lol
Thanks again.......Paul.

Hi Paul

I see there are a pair of Monarch 8x36 on a well known auction site at the moment.

Might be worth a look. Oh, and they are nothing to do with me in case anybody thinks I am advertising!

The Monarchs are also available from Cameras2u.com for £149, formerly Tecno and now part of Jessops. You need to search for "Monarch" to find them as they do not appear in the normal listings.

Cheers

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back