• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue grosbeak, and ??? (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
I must admit that I'm only just starting out. I really don't know anything about birds, but am consulting lots of books and websites for the ID of the birds I see. Can someone confirm for me whether this is a blue grosbeak? Also, I have no idea what the other two birds are..."plain brown bird" and "yellow tinted bird" don't really produce good results on search engines.

I took these photographs in the Cedar Ridge Preserve in Duncanville, TX, which is just outside of south Dallas.

Attachments

• IMGP9796.jpg
    IMGP9796.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMGP9798.jpg
    IMGP9798.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMGP9806.jpg
    IMGP9806.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 107
Looks like:

Indigo Bunting male

Indigo Bunting female

White eyed vireo, perhaps??? (edited after I realised I was completely off the mark with my initial ID)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your first bird is a male Indigo Bunting, the second bird is a female Indigo Bunting, and the third bird is an adult White-eyed Vireo. By the way, a Blue Grosbeak has Rusty wing bars and a very thick bill. Also, if you look closely, you can see the light iris on the White-eyed Vireo (which only the adults show).

Best,
Jim

[EDIT: Posting at the same time as Chris].

Last edited:
Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I see you got your query answered. You can expect that a lot here ;)

thanks!

Wow, you guys are awesome. A reply within just a few minutes! Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to learning a lot on this forum (just hope that people don't get tired of my questions on probably obvious birds).

Wow, you guys are awesome. A reply within just a few minutes! Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to learning a lot on this forum (just hope that people don't get tired of my questions on probably obvious birds).

Welcome to BirdForum! Feel free to bring any questions forward - we've got a sizable crew here ready and willing. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back