• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zitting Cisticola - Zimbabwe (1 Viewer)

DeanT

Mother feeding two jeuveniles in waist high grass next to a dam. Moist grassland

Bird would flit 3or4 times up and down and drop down to stop on a grass stem.
I have listened to all the cisticolas and this bird did not have a complicated song. I think I can remember the tink/tink/tink but cant be sure even though I tried hard to remember becoz this forum always says "What was the call?"

Anyway.... me and my mate want to put it down as Zitting but we would prefer a more difinitive guess because we really are novice birders. We also looked at Pale Crowned and Ayres as possibles.

Any pointers??? I tried to take many photos...

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 33
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 25
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 31
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 18
Hi Dean,

I'm surprised no-one has responded to this thread as your photos are pretty good. For what it's worth, it looks good for Zitting to me, although I've only seen it once or twice on my visits to Africa (seven visits, a week or so at a time, no long holidays, unfortunately). I think the tail is too long for Wing-snapping (Ayre's) and the head seems to be streaked, so Pale-crowned should definitely be out. But Desert would be a possibility where you are, and the tail in the clearest photo - the second - doesn't show a clear black subterminal band above the white tip which should be there for Zitting, but not for Desert.

Zitting is a very widespread bird, and the only cisticola in Japan where I live, but common and I see them often around my local birding spots. But looking at past BirdForumthreads, there seems to be some regional variation in colouring, and there are obviously a lot more confusion species where you are.

There is a site which you may know called Xeno-Canto where people post bird songs. Unfortunately, I'm not at all sure that all the IDs are correct, and some people post recordings which can only be described as junk, which can make trying to find a good one frustrating. I listened to some of the recordings identified as Zitting, and the ones I found didn't fit my own experience.

The calls may be different in different regions, I suppose. However, I have taken photos of Zitting perched on reeds and plants of different kinds over ten years or so, but I have never heard a perched bird make any sound, and never heard the bird make any noise other than the two sounds described below, although some of the Xeno-Canto recordings seem to be different.

So, I attach a recording of a Japanese Zitting from a few weeks ago, in the breeding season. The call fits well the description of the call in Sasol's Southern African Birds guide. There is a sharp zit repeated, and then a chit repeated, according to Sasol. The zit is high-pitched and strong, and an English person such as myself would probably transcribe the chit as 'tsk tsk' which is how in England we write the clicking sound you make with the tongue when you disapprove of something.

Here in Japan, the Zitting Cisticola seems to make the sharp zit sound as it rises in display, and the tsk sound as it descends again, so the zit can be repeated sometimes a few hundred times, but the tsk is usually repeated many fewer times.

In the background of this recording, you can hear the pwee of a Little Ringed Plover four times (9, 18, 24, 36), and the chew-chew-chew-che-che-che of a Lesser Cuckoo eight times - 8, 11, 14, 17, 19, 21, 23, 26 and then right at the end - 52, just after a few caws from a crow.There's also a few cheeps from Eurasian Tree Sparrow, and near the end a few background zees from Long-tailed Tits from 37 or so.

There is a series of about 80 zits starting right at the beginning of the recording (0-32), then a few tsks (32-36), then a few more zits (37-38) and a few more tsks (39-47).

I hope this helps. Anyway, next time you can listen for the call. I think it's fairly distinctive, even among cisticolas, once you have heard it clearly and know what it is.

Just as a note: I have a bad memory for sounds, but in the last couple of years I have started using a small Olympus voice recorder, VN-8000PC (now superceded by the other models, I think) to record sounds. It doesn't work too well with a lot of background noise, or when the bird you want to record is further away than another bird you do not want to record, but my aural ability has increased greatly as a result. These machines are not so expensive.

If anyone reading this thread has advice on a recorder which is particularly good for recording bird song, please let us know.

Attachments

• 1706011230 NP Zitting.mp3
    909.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
can't help with the ID, just to say that from very recent experience Japanese Zitting Cisticola sound very different from European ones.
James

...just to say that from very recent experience Japanese Zitting Cisticola sound very different from European ones

That's interesting. When I posted photos of our Zittings before people also said that they looked different to European ones (though mainly tone, not pattern, I think).

There isn't any possible confusion species here in Japan, if you allow for the combination of features - streaked back at rest, russet back when in flight, tail pattern with white tip and black subterminal stripe, distinctive hovering display and display call, and anything else.

When breeding (which is basically when we see them where I am) the breeding male has a chestnut cap, with little or no sign of streaking, and a very strong black loral stripe, neither of which seem to appear clearly in the Japanese, African or European guides.

I attach some photos just for information.

Attachments

• 170426042 Heijokyo.jpg
    170426042 Heijokyo.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 160608041 Nara Ponds.jpg
    160608041 Nara Ponds.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 150416037 Heijokyo.jpg
    150416037 Heijokyo.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 140829092 Heijokyo.jpg
    140829092 Heijokyo.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 19
  • 150901065 Nara Ponds.jpg
    150901065 Nara Ponds.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 10
I would like to thank MacNara in Japan very, VERY much.

When I did not see any reply after two days ... I thought - "Oh well, the forum maybe don't like to ID Cisticolas, because they are so difficult."

How wrong I was because only today... I have seen all this valuable information and it is only right to appreciate openly that someone across the other side of the world can a) know so much about our African birds and b) put so much effort into a reply so as to help us.

Thank you MacNara.

DeanT

My friend and I took a long time to listen to the call and we put it down as zitting. It is always great to have that 3rd opinion.

In the same area on this farm.... my friend took these photos today and asked me to post them.

I said Rattling but he said it was a huge Cisticola and made a different alarm call. He is thinking Croaking Cisticola.

We know this is difficult.... but is there anything in these pics that lends itself more to either Croaking or Rattling??

Attachments

• IMG-20170624-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20170624-WA0008.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20170624-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20170624-WA0009.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20170624-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20170624-WA0010.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi all. I took the pics of the "croaking" that Dean very kindly posted for me. I thought Croaking over Rattling due the large size and quite heavy bill.
Am I on track with this one?
Many thanks in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back