• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruby Topaz? Something else? (1 Viewer)

rka

ttbirds
I saw this hummingbird at the edge of Mangrove Swamp feeding on nectar of wild flowers. While the tail resembles the male Ruby-Topaz, nothing else matches the plates in my guide.

Any ideas.

rka

Note: About 3 inches long and bill shorter than on most other hummingbirds I have seen. Bright red area on forehead.

Attachments

• humID1.jpg
    humID1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 228
  • humID2.jpg
    humID2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 172
cuckooroller said:
RKA,

Looks like a male Chrysolampis mosquitus to me. I question your plates.

Steve

What's a bit strange is according to the field guide and a couple pictures I have seen, the throat/breast area shold be brilliant golden. My pictures from several angles show dull black colouring there.

I've attached a picture from a brazilian stamp which is very similar to the one in my field guide.

Attachments

• stamp.jpg
    stamp.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 164
rka said:
What's a bit strange is according to the field guide and a couple pictures I have seen, the throat/breast area shold be brilliant golden. My pictures from several angles show dull black colouring there.

The brilliant colors on the gorgets and crowns of many hummingbirds is caused by refraction of light by prism-like structures in the feathers. The flash of color is highly dependent on the angle of the light and can look black if the angle is not just right. We saw Ruby Topaz several times in Tobago and I recall that we never saw the golden color in the gorget. I am no expert on these birds but your photos fit with my recollection of what they looked like. Glen

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back