• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Black-backed Gull? (1 Viewer)

Bluetail

Senior Moment
I found this pic on Surfbirds in the Common American Birds section. It was taken in Montrose Harbour, Chicago on 26 Feb. It's labelled as a Lesser Black-backed Gull, but just doesn't look like to me and still wouldn't even if the legs were yellow. But then, I only know the graelsii and intermedius subspecies. So, if it is one, please can someone explain why?

I hate gulls.

Jason

Attachments

• 20040226082934.jpeg
    20040226082934.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 325
I think it could be LBB. Iris colour is OK and the big white splodge on the primaries is also fine. The pic isn't the best. Perhaps it isn't quite adult so the legs aren't as deep yellow as they should be...? Maybe the light is making them look pinky...?

I'm more concerned with the fact that it seems to be walking on water...

Last edited:
The black on the bill points to a less than adult bird, I think. The caption on Surfbirds expressly drew attention to the pinkish legs. Like Karwin, my impression was more towards Herring Gull, though perhaps one of the eastern races (which I know not at all). Do the Americans split the HG/LBBG complex the same way as we do?

Jason

Looks OK for 3rd/4th winter LBB to me, the immaturity explains the non-yellow leg colour. The bill looks suitably dainty for LBB, the dark mantled HG races would have a stouter bill (I think?)

tom mckinney said:
I'm more concerned with the fact that it seems to be walking on water...
Yes, it is standing on water, the solid form that they tend to get a lot more of in the northern US than we ever get here. Sometimes called "ice" ;)

Michael

Hi all,
I agree that this is a Lesser Black-backed Gull of the race graellsii,probably a 4th winter bird(though hard to rule out advanced 3rd-w)
The leg and bill colour can readily be explained by the fact that the bird is a subadult.Such birds(with pinkish legs) are regularly encountered,the bill pattern is also common in subad.LBB.
Due to the way that the bird is holding its wings,the underside of the primaries in the far wing is far more apparent than the upperside of the close ones.From this,one can see a white mirror on P10:this would be larger and usually extend to the tip on an adult argentatus.The primary projection is also quite long,as is usually the case in LBB(even more pronounced in intermedius and fuscus)
Harry

Thanks, all - and especially Harry. That's very helpful. Yes, if I'd taken more notice of the primary extension I might have been less dubious and just it hadn't occurred to me that the white mirror was actually on the underside of the wing.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back