• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone help with this? Wood or Icterine Warbler (1 Viewer)

neilbaldwin

I saw this (sorry for the image quality) at the Lodge in Sandy.

I think it may be a wood or Icterine Warbler.

Can anyone help?

Attachments

• IMG_8839-02.jpg
    IMG_8839-02.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 390
The bright yellow in supercilium and particularly the wing panels suggest Wood Warbler, but the apparent white throat/chin looks odd - very hard to call on this photo as colour reproduction does not quite ring true, also pic is blurred, and in any case different monitors show different colours/shades!

Pluvius said:
Bird Identification dont you just love it.
Having read all my bird id books my guess would be Wood Warbler in that Icterine are generally found in the tops of trees and this looks as though its in brambles. Definately not easy.

Then again, Wood Warblers are usually found in the tops of trees too. Think we need a bit more description with this one, although I don't think it's an Icky.

Looks like a Wood Warbler. It looks like the picture was taken in bright sunlight. I think they get Wood warblers at the Lodge from time to time. It is still a tad early for Iccy.
Wood warblers do look a little Hippoish to me. (Bulky looking with a slightly thicker looking bill)
Must be the angle of the picture because the tail does look squared off.

I've seen mainly autumn birds in recent years. You don't see them very often up here!

One of my favourites I must admit...

Thanks for the replies. I did not hear it sing, and the photo was taken in haste Canon 100-400 with 2xTC!!!!!

It had dropped down to the brambles to be near the feeders, at the hide. That might explain why not in tree tops.

Hmm. Well its no Icky. Assuming its a Wood Warbler on all the bright fringes, where did the wings go! Does it really have pale lores or is that a photographic effect. Can't make it into a Bonellis, not even with the aid of Thai Whisky!

It might just be an over exposed and unusually bright Willow Warbler.

Hi all,
I'd go for willow warbler. Wing/tail length already discussed as have been head shape and bill. However, compare colour of shoot upper right of bird which is showing bright yellow lime and that could then explain that the bird, where showing the same yellowy hue is in fact considerably greener/browner and so rather rapidly becomes willow warbler. Reflection of green shades in bush/tree may be reason for bright colouring. Not correct for wood wrbler for sevral reasons and forehead not angled for Icterine.
Interesting dilemma though. May need to check on another monitor to compare colours, but at present is an impossible yellow.
Jono

Willow Warbler, surely. Tails too long for Wood. Also clearly not a hippo warbler (i.e. Icterine), and is slightly too early for them. Even an Icterine in May/June at the Lodge (or any other inland site in the UK) would be a flippin' good record.

JANJ said:
Image impression! Doesn´t strike me as a Wood Warbler. Look at the primary projection, to short! Tail to long! Tertials usually more contrasting dark with clear-cut pale edges and a much more obvious dark eye-stripe. Rarley show a whitish throat.
JanJ

Definately Phyllosc, wood or willow, but really difficult say, which one ?

* The primary projection is enough long for wood > 7 primary tips, maybe view angle mislead us

* obvious dark eye-stripe > not always, sometimes only some kind of spot in the front of eye, see:
http://www.tarsiger.com/images/masa/Physib09.jpg

* tail looks really long, but bird positon and view angle can emphasize it too much ? (also because wings shows different direction than tail)

* whitish throat > that's odd for wood, but it can be sometimes paler than rich yellow.

* In my mind, the colour of tail and wings are quite odd for willow

Very interesting case,...

Last edited:
lou salomon said:
nobody mentioned, wood has a notched tail, this bird doesn't. it's a willow.

??????
In my mind, this bird has clearly shorter Innermost tfs than outermost tfs

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back