• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White tailed Sea Eagle (1 Viewer)

mullbirds

Happy New Year to all members of this forum..The Telegraph yesterday had an article about the persecution of the WTSE breeding birds which is going to make the bird protection even harder as we also have egg thieves to look out for. It's difficult to understand why some people seem unable to stop themselves from this kind of activity. Anyway here is a picture of a WTSE taken in Sept as it came down to bati. check mout www.mullbirds.com Happy new year and good birding in 2003 mullbirds

Attachments

• wtse-landing.jpg
    wtse-landing.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 571
couldn't agree more...the birds are renewing pair bonding at present and building already the next few months keeps us all busy with the Eagle watch on nest sites..if you can ever get up to mull call me and we could watch WTSE all day long
Regards mullbirds

White-Tailed Sea-Eagle

To BirdForum

In the Vest coast of Norway, near Aalesund; The Prosjekt Havørn have a camera at a Sea Eagle nest, and you my look to the local Newspaper:
Sunnmørsposten-Smp.no
In Norway Sea-Eagle = havørn .nest= reir look at havørnreiret.
The Sea-Eagle transfer to Vest of Scotland come from North of Norway, Bodo
in Salten area.

The sending to East Scotland (from 2007)l come from Vest coast of Norway.
So it everything goes well this year you can followed nest site in Scotland and Norway.

To BirdForum

In the Vest coast of Norway, near Aalesund; The Prosjekt Havørn have a camera at a Sea Eagle nest, and you my look to the local Newspaper:
Sunnmørsposten-Smp.no

Hello Harald (welcome to BF!)

Please, if possible, could you put a website link on this page of the Prosjekt Havorn camera?

Many thanks.

Hi deborah,I'm sitting in Central Scotland watching two White Tailled Sea Eagles in Western Norway re-building there nest,absolutely brilliant,my names Joe by the way.

Just looked Joe - fantastic! Last time I saw wte was on Mull several years ago - looking forwards to the next few months if the webcam survives (no massive labels either ;))

Not sure where the location is but hope it's well away from the Smola windfarms!

Hallo deboral
Well I am new man with data, but I see you have fond the nest site near Aalesund--my place of bird.
In Bodø there have come a lot of snow the last to-tree days, and not sheltered nest are covered by snow. But some birds are incubating at offshore Isles.

Thanks Harald - credit to Joe for finding the webcam link! Incubation already? Is this early or normal?

This year is my 40 season with Sea-Eagle, some par have get they young on wing before mid summer. Egg (2- two) in 2 February the earliest I know.
Small young(c.a week old) found 22 of June.
One of the problem when working with transferring to Scotland with young Sea-Eagle was to find young so not was to big for handling (could fly out from nest). In other nest at ground they have wandered far away, difficult to find in dens vegetation's in a hurry (not Scotland)
The outlaying Isles have not so much snow as inland, some nest are also well hided.
To day at breakfast I look out over Saltfjorden, at 0845am one WTE fly low over my house, 10 minutes later the other, both carry nesting material from shore or lower area, still snow falling! But still I learn,-could not see which was male and female, but I have they tail feather, and handmade they new nest.

Hallo deborah4
We have a beautiful winter morning in Bodø, I have just looked to the nest site near Aalesund (called Little London under WW 2) If you look at the front page you (if not already) had notis under: MER OM HAVØRNREIRET Alv Ottar Folkestad have written Information in English.http://www.smp.no/ornereiret.asp?page=3544,3641&lang=1
This is a typical nest at ground, the green plant in behind nest are Storfyrtle Luzula silvatica,a plant used for lining of nest also in Scotland as I have seen in pictures.
Most of the Sea eagles lay egg around date 15-20 of March in Salten, Nordland.

Hi Harald

This is a beautiful capture http://www.smp.no/default.asp?page=3544,3641,3640&lang=1&item=1448146,1

Does the male and female at Aelesund both have a blue ring on the right leg? I find it difficult to tell which one I am looking at!

Hei deborah4
It is some time since I have used color ring ( I use only one steel ring), but the code are Blue on right leg for Norway, the other various after the year.
You can read in your language both birds story.
I have just come in after a long work with snow, but the snow is not heavy, later on in April there come often heavy snow, and many nest fall down, the Sea-Eagle have not learn to chose a strong tree, best will bee to have it on ground, but they must have good humans as neighbors.

Both on the nest at the moment busy building (8.58 GMT)

Harald: Is there a way to sex these two, I can't tell which is the male and which is the female? I'm thinking the female is larger with a slightly steeper forehead but when seen singly it's hard to be sure

Last edited:
Hi deborah,easy to tell the male,that's the one doing all the work,lol, seriously I'd love to go over there with a saw and remove that stick/branch in the middle of the nest,obviously they built their nest around the base of that tree,but that branch seems to really annoy them from time to time,pity there's no sound,still beats watching TV,
Joe.

Hei Deborah
The Aalesund bird. look at the front page: MER OM ØRNEREIRET.
In English they told you about both birds:

Both are Norwegian born BLUE RING AT RIGHT LEG!
Male: white over black ring
Female: Blue over red.

Very difficult to find out who are male and female at some birds. Some peopel often say that when thy pass by--- i did not, since I have seen many, and often given up to make it sure.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back