• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not waterproof? (1 Viewer)

black crow

I've often used non waterproof compacts for many years but I was always super careful not to get them wet and have managed to do that quite well. Of course I just didn't get them out in rainy conditions or if I did it was just for a peak and then back under the coat or in a waterproof pack.

My question is based on ignorance from never having gotten a pair of these bins really wet. I was looking, longingly at the Bushnell 7x26 Elites and saw this in the description. The binocular also offers clarity in the foulest conditions thanks to the patented RainGuard HD coating, , a patented, permanent, water-repellant coating that causes moisture from rain, snow, sleet, and condensation to bead up and scatter less light. To my understanding these are not water or fog proof bins and so my question would be how wet can you get these guys without worry and what happens when you do get them really wet?

If you search and look thru the forum and threads, you will see what other members have said and done about this problem.

I found this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=214980&highlight=non+water+proof

Seems to be mixed opinions on the issue. Tropics or places like Alaska being especially problematic. It seems if bins get wet and you let them dry out every thing is usually ok as long as you don't give fungus a chance to grow. Would you say that is correct?

Great signature quote by the way.

Yes, the waterproof/water-resistant/etc debate does continue...;)

Here is what i have learned, mostly by reading. Anyone please feel free to correct me.

1. The only truly "waterproof" porro prisms are individual focus models. Source: bino repair folks who like porros, over on Cloudy Nights.

2. If you are using an instrument in the tropics, sub-tropics, or in wet weather conditions, you should consider the roof prism design.

3. Quality porro prisms that are central focus that are advertised as waterproof, or in some way, water-resistant, should be able to stand up to light drizzle for short periods, and moist air, in temperate zones. Some do use them in the tropics, but store them in drying boxes or such (somewhere on BF these have been described).

4. Fungus can be a problem in any bino that is not purged with nitrogen or argon etc., or was but has broken seals, if used or stored in moist conditions.

What do i do?
I am in the temperate zone. I usually take the Nikon 8x32 SE spring/summer/fall, unless it is raining or rain is a high probability. Then, and in winter also, I use a roof.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm going to play it safe I guess although that's likely being a bit paranoid. But then I don't worry and that's worth it even if over kill. Almost everything I own but my old bins are WP now but there's still a few non WP that are tempting me. In about 40 years of owning I've never had a problem but I worried about them and that's not worth any savings to me now.

1. The only truly "waterproof" porro prisms are individual focus models. Source: bino repair folks who like porros, over on Cloudy Nights.

It's true that the vast majority of mid and full-sized center focus porros that are claimed to be waterproof (and covered for such damage under warranty) are not actually designed to be waterproof (i.e. they have no seals to prevent water entry between the movable oculars and the rest of the bin), but in reverse-porro compact models (e.g. 8x25) there are many genuinely waterproof choices (e.g. Nikon Prostaff, Pentax WP series).

--AP

It's true that the vast majority of mid and full-sized center focus porros that are claimed to be waterproof (and covered for such damage under warranty) are not actually designed to be waterproof (i.e. they have no seals to prevent water entry between the movable oculars and the rest of the bin), but in reverse-porro compact models (e.g. 8x25) there are many genuinely waterproof choices (e.g. Nikon Prostaff, Pentax WP series).--AP

Did not know that, thanks

I could be wrong, but I think the the Opticron, Leupold and Minox internal focus Porro's are waterproof. Frank or John Dracon would probably know for sure.

Bruce

It's true that the vast majority of mid and full-sized center focus porros that are claimed to be waterproof (and covered for such damage under warranty) are not actually designed to be waterproof (i.e. they have no seals to prevent water entry between the movable oculars and the rest of the bin), but in reverse-porro compact models (e.g. 8x25) there are many genuinely waterproof choices (e.g. Nikon Prostaff, Pentax WP series).

--AP

Porros with movable oculars like the Nikon Action, Bushnell Legend, etc... and that are advertised as waterproof utilize rubber o-ring type seals to prevent water from entering. I don't know if they are actually submersible but I doubt they would be affected in a light to moderate rainstorm.

Coincidentally, it is these rubber o-rings that cause a bit of the focusing stiffness on these models.

The internal focus porros such as the Minox BD BP, Opticron HR WP, Leupold Cascade, etc.... are as waterproof as their roof prism counterparts.

I have had Ultravids out in the worst of conditions and they are sealed tight - no problems.

I do own a pair of Pentax waterproof bins that went for a 10 min swim on a canoe adventure when the dog leaned over one side to get a better look at a Canada goose. They developed some condensation on a lens on one side. Pentax either replaced or repaired for free quickly (excellent warranty).

Prior to that I had the Pentax's out in rain, snow, fog, temperature changes, mist etc. without a problem.

Birding in the rain is not one of my favorite things to do. But I do it. I make every attempt to use the rain guards and only remove them when the bins are horizontal to avoid wetting the glass. I don't violate that rule more than 10 times a day.

The hydrophobic coatings help but I dont always get a clean shake. After a wrist snap shake its not like the bins are restored to no rain viewing. But they are improved. Is there a trick to getting a clean shake? I may start a thread on that topic.

But I am very thankful new bins are less likely to get wet in mist, spray, rain, and fog and temperature change condensation.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back