• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Needed - Blackbirds (1 Viewer)

mimiller

Hi - help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

We have had blackbirds in our garden for a few months now going through the various stages: building the nest, laying eggs, incubation, feeding. The chicks (three of them) must have been hatched for over 2 weeks now and we have been keeping a regular eye on them and even built some protection below the nest to stop the cats getting up there.

Anyway my problem is that I went to have another check on them and could see all three just sitting there in the nest (they're pretty huge now so it always amazes me how they all fit!). However, when I got closer I disturbed them and one flew off to the other end of the garden (into a branch/treey thing in the corner - sorry I'm not a gardener!) - flapping like mad about a metre off the ground. I went inside and waited for one of the parents to return and they did but didn't seem too worried (I was concerend they couldn't find it perhaps). A few minutes later the second one flew out and onto the fence as the parents kept watch and then one of them fed it. Then the final one flew out about 10 minutes later, to the same corner as the first.

I kept watch for about an hour - more due to a guilty conscience than anything else. I have now had another look and cannot see any of the birds and the nest is empty. My questions are:

1. Were they ready to leave the nest or is it just due to me disturbing them?

2. Once they leave the nest for the first time is that it and they never return, or do they have stages to their flying until they are completely accomplished?

3. I lost sight of the first one to fly out, but I'm sure it didn't go very far - would the parents be able to find it fairly easily?

I'm just concerned as they're not fully grown yet (they're kind of short and fat and don't have the same wingspan of their parents yet) that I frightened them out of the nest before they we're ready. Am I right to feel guilty?

Sorry it's so long - thanks very much for reading. Any help would be wonderful!

Hi Mimiller

Two years ago I had an experience with blackbirds in my garden that made me feel very guilty that may help with some of your questions. Basically I was cutting a hedge with a power trimmer and only just missed a nest with very young chicks. To cut a long story short (sorry pun not intended) they all survived. Full details of the escapade can be seen with pictures on my website, http://www.graviton.demon.co.uk and follow the link to blackbird's nest.

I am no expert but from my experience above
1. My chicks showed no tendency to fly when I took photos so suspect yours were ready to go anyway.
2. When mine left the nest they did not return.
3. I feel sure that the parents would find them - the chicks have a loud call.

If you keep a look out you should see them being fed until they are as big as the parents.

If you look at my pictures you can see how big the chicks were when leaving the nest.

I hope this helps.

By the way,welcome to Birdforum. You will find there is tons of expertise and a very friendly atmosphere here. It is great fun and highly educational at the same time.

Dave

Dave thanks for your reply - that has certainly put my mind at rest somewhat, even though I do still feel bad for intefering with nature!

I will definitley take up your suggestion and have a look round the site!

Cheers

Hi Mimiller, and welcome to BF. Have no fear your blackie's are in no danger of being lost by their parent's, both adult blackbirds make very good parents, and will be watching so if you cant see them they will be listening for the juv's to call them. they will be well fed and looked after till they are fully fledged and can take care of themselves. Good luck with your garden watch.
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back