• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpies (1 Viewer)

Daz

Does anybody know how to deter Magpies? For the last 3 years they have taken the eggs from resident Blackbird nests. To top it all off, we had a Song Thrush sitting on a clutch, last week we heard an almighty racket in the garden, here's a Magpie flies out of the fir trees and the Thrush is going ballistic. Next day there is egg shells on the lawn and one egg left in the nest. What is the answer?, I would love to see a Blackbird or a song Thrush brood survive, but just cannot see it happening.

Hi Daz

It is difficult to deter nature however horrid it is to witness.
The Magpies have predated the robin nest this year sadly in my garden.

The only thing I try to do is put out raw eggs in the shell on the floor to help quench the thirst for wild bird eggs. I try and understand that this is a natural thing and that the magpie is doing this to survive.

The magpie hacks at the eggs I put out quite readily which i hope saves other bird nest attacks. A thing i find interesting about the eggs is that the Magpie does not touch the eggs outside of the breading season.

i am sure others will give you more tips and i hope you find a solution of benefit to all parties.

Magpies seems to have predated the blackbird nest in my garden. I read on the internet that chicken wire placed over the top of the tree/bush should deter magpies from attacking. This should only be done after the eggs have been laid (otherwise they will most likely abandon the nest) and preferably after the young have hatched. Not an aesthetically pleasing option, I agree.

I am certainly no expert in this field. Hopefully the veterans will provide some feedback.

Traps

My father in law made an elaborate wooden trap fot the magpies.When caught they were transported some miles away and released.
Mervyn.

Well i'll put my my own observation's into this thread, we live in a cul-de-sac, and there are a lot of hedge's trees conifers, this year has been the best yet for blackbirds- song thrush, now last year they both took a hammering with predation from magpies. This year saw a big influx of collared dove's, both myself and my wife have actualy seen these doves chase magpies, and much to are pleasure & suprise a 90% drop in predation of our songsters!! they really did give the magpies a hard time. And you dont expect that from a dove, so to us they are the best deterent you could want, and all for a good feed each day. Well worth it.
bert.

Yes, as I've remarked before, one of the worst things that birds can do is nest in conifers, particularly Leylandii, as they are no protection whatosever from magpies; yet there are a great number which seem to do it - perhaps there are just too many Leylandii around. Year after year a pair of dunnocks opposite me nest in the same Leylandii and every year the magpie comes and takes the eggs, so they never produce any chicks, but do provide a treat for the magpie. I suppose in the end, natural selection will kick in, and those birds which have the instincts to nest in safer locations will produce young more successfully and the genes will be passed on.

Alan Hill

Does anybody know how to deter Magpies?

I use a Larsen trap, then wring their necks. If you don't want to do it I will.

What good transporting them miles away is beyond me. I bet the local songbirds in the 'new' area just love the introduction of further Magpies.

John Barclay.

Last edited:
Sleeper said:
Hey John

That sort of speach might get you in at the Whitehouse!!

What about the Jays.......GS woodpeckers?

Herring Gulls, Lessers, Grey Squirrel, etc, etc; If we were covered in Jays and Great-spotted woodpeckers, then they would go the same way. When did you last see a Great-spotted Woodpecker taking the Song Thrushes, Blackbirds, Greenfinch, out of your garden...never. Magpies have cleared my garden out this spring...but not next year.

Move over George...JB is on his way!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back