• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetits are hatching! (1 Viewer)

First pics

The left hand photo shows the chick that has just emerged, and is still resting in half the shell. The second photo, taken 11 seconds later shows Fluffy removing the other piece of shell.

Attachments

• Fluffy1chick.jpg
    Fluffy1chick.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 143
  • fluffy1st shell.jpg
    fluffy1st shell.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 135
Hi Elizabeth,

I've been keeping an eye on Fluffy's nest as I've got your website in my favourites file. When I logged on this morning and saw the chicks I immediatly shouted on Ian to come have a look. In my excitement I forgot he was out at work!!!! Silly me!!

Eileen.

Eileen said:
Hi Elizabeth,

I've been keeping an eye on Fluffy's nest as I've got your website in my favourites file. When I logged on this morning and saw the chicks I immediatly shouted on Ian to come have a look. In my excitement I forgot he was out at work!!!! Silly me!!

Eileen.

Hi Eileen - so how excited do you reckon I was??? It would have to be a Thursday, when I help with the stroke recoverers' group!!! Still, Malcolm has recorded it for me - this is better than watching the playback on the computer, which is just a sequence of still pics - so now I can take the ironing board into the sitting room and catch up on the action, while I also catch up with a huge pile of ironing!

I'll post more photographs later - at the moment there are still two eggs left.

Yes - we actully watched the sixth one hatch! Here is a recent pic - showing a hungry chick. Barney is working very hard to keep them all fed.

Attachments

• Fluffy6chicks.jpg
    Fluffy6chicks.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I was watching Fluffy on my coffee breaks on the course. The instructor was quite taken with the set up.

Typical! I was going to have look at the web site this morning after coming back from birding but something came up so I didnt have time!! Only just managed to have a look and Fluffy's sitting there now!! Good picture posted above though, thanks. Is there still one egg left?

All I'm getting on your website now Elizabeth is "This feed has lost it's video input display." Any ideas what's up? Have I missed the last egg hatching. Hope not!!!!!

Eileen said:
All I'm getting on your website now Elizabeth is "This feed has lost it's video input display." Any ideas what's up? Have I missed the last egg hatching. Hope not!!!!!

No Eileen - all is well. We switch off the light and camera when it's getting dark outside - it will be on again around 6am tomorrow. When Fluffy started roosting in the box, she seemed a bit worried about the light in the evening, so we switched off at that point. Now the days are getting longer, we've delayed the switch-off - tonight it was around 8.15pm. The camera monitoring the outside of the box is on all the time - so if you fancy getting up before 6am, you can watch that!!! :eek!:

Wow! I've never seen baby birds before, and today at the pond, I was surprised to see two baby Canada Geese swimming about with Mom and Dad! I have posted a thread ("Baby Pictures!") in the Birds & Birding Forum.

The last egg has hatched.

Around 7 o'clock this morning, the last egg hatched. This time, instead of removing the shell, Fluffy surprised us by eating it. We saw this happening quite often last year, but Fluffy removed the first six this year.

Attachments

• Fluffy,Barney, shell.jpg
    Fluffy,Barney, shell.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 120
  • fluffyeatshell.jpg
    fluffyeatshell.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 129
Missed it by about half an hour. Shouldn't have had a shower first!! Now poor old Mum and Dad are really going to have their work cut out for them. Nice to know there were no infertile eggs. Blimey, don't think I could have coped with seven babies all at once. Looking forward to seeing them 'feather up' and leave the nest. Thanks for sharing Fluffy and her family with us Elizabeth. I'm getting quite addicted.

Eileen.

Eileen said:
Missed it by about half an hour. Shouldn't have had a shower first!! Now poor old Mum and Dad are really going to have their work cut out for them. Nice to know there were no infertile eggs. Blimey, don't think I could have coped with seven babies all at once. Looking forward to seeing them 'feather up' and leave the nest. Thanks for sharing Fluffy and her family with us Elizabeth. I'm getting quite addicted.

Eileen.

We only saw it on the playback facility Eileen. This is available to you too, but unless you have broadband it's almost certainly going to be too slow. We've also had as many as 13 people watching the action at the same time, and this slows our computers down as well!

Elizabeth,thanks for posting the pictures.Yes,I went to have a look last night and saw the cameras were off.Now I know when they are working,will have a look during the day.They are fascinating.I hope you are going to show them to your stroke patients ,it should certainly cheer them up ,as they follow the progress of the chicks.They may even come up with some names.
Again,thankyou for sharing this lovely event with everyone.
I saw my first Canada chicks today,and our Grebes are all settled on their nests.It is a simply lovely time of the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back