• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An impossible task for you to speculate on... (1 Viewer)

You can even age them based on song. The song in BirdSong database is that of a 2-year old male. In the adult's song, the whistling is even more pronounced.

Common Rosefinch is common here and usually announces its spring arrival by its loud and distinctive song - in fact, if the bird were a Common Rosefinch, the song woulld have been so distinctive and 'different' that I think your writer might have mentioned something about this and not said "when i first heard it i thought it was a linnet" .

Additionally, though they certainly do sometimes, Rosefinches also tend to not sing from such exposed song posts ...indeeed often sing from within vegetation.

Two pictures don't look like the same bird, though I assume they are! Picture one has a vague resemblance to a Lilac-breasted Roller!!! Picture two to one of the forest wood-doves!!! Of course, it ain't either of these!!!

Chaffinch fits best (all except green on body). The bird could well be an escape, too.

I would not go for Rosefinch, because the red seems not to extend to the cap, and Rosefinch arrives only in May.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back