• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which panasonic? (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Looking for a cheap ultrazoom for backpacking tropical birding trips when I don't want to lug my slr around. A bit of research suggests a fz7 - which I can get for about £135 from ebay or a fz8 for just over £160? Any thoughts on my best bet bearing in mind that it won't be used on trips where photography is 'high priority'. Is the fz8 worth the extra? Am I right in believing that the olympus 1.7 teleconverter works with both?

Cheers

Steve

http://www.freewebs.com/stevebabbs/index.htm

Steve

I am not a photographer but used an fz7 on a trip to Tanzania last year. Some of the photos are in the gallery or on African Bird Image Database. Obviously not as good as a DSLR but I was generally happy with the end results. Light and easy to use.

I am sure the Olympus 1.7tc works with the fz7.

Can't comment on the fz8.

Nick

You might also want to consider the FZ18. More pricey, but 28 to 504 mm equivalent. Have just bought myself that one and took it out yesterday. Haven't downloaded any of the pics yet but if you are patient I'll try and get some onto flickr sometime this week. It is supposed the be an improvement on the FZ8 in terms of noise and has an "intelligent Auto" mode - no idea what this does compares to P mode! From what I have seen on the screen so far at pixel level it is still quite noisy (though I have probably been spoiled with my fuji F31).

BTW, does anyone know if the Tcon 17 would work with the FZ18?

ETA: Some test shots (apologies for the cross post but not sure if everyone checks all the threads):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601@N03/sets/72157602613555322/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back