• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attractive tortrix for ID and a few for confirmation (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
These are from a largish catch on 16th July.

Annoyed I can't find the pretty tortrix but I'm sure someone will be put me straight - please. The others I'll put up for confirmation and I think they are:
Udea prunalis
Trachycera advenella
Cloaked Minor - bit tricky this one and I wouldn't have got this from Waring. One of the few occasions I have relied on Skinner as I reckon it is a dead ringer for fig. 6 on plate 38.

Cheers

Attachments

• tort_16jul04_640.jpg
    tort_16jul04_640.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 643
  • udea_prunalis_16jul04_640.jpg
    udea_prunalis_16jul04_640.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 628
  • numonia_16jul04_640a.jpg
    numonia_16jul04_640a.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 640
  • numonia_16jul04_640b.jpg
    numonia_16jul04_640b.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 143
  • cloaked_minor_16jul04_640.jpg
    cloaked_minor_16jul04_640.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 644
Not up to Angus' standards but 186 moths of 47 species was my busiest night so far. Thought I would just share this White Satin pic as I thought it was quite an impressive beast. As is the ichneumon (Netellia testaceus), which is a common visitor to the light trap and is a parasite on moth larvae.

Attachments

• white_satin_16jul04_640.jpg
    white_satin_16jul04_640.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 624
  • netellia_testaceus_16jul04_640.jpg
    netellia_testaceus_16jul04_640.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 643
Hello Brian,
For your unknown Tortricoid have a look at Blastethia buoliana. It's so variable that Bradley illustrates 4 specimens. Now known as Rhyacionia buoliana I think this is it.

Harry

Last edited:
brianhstone said:
These are from a largish catch on 16th July.

Annoyed I can't find the pretty tortrix but I'm sure someone will be put me straight - please. The others I'll put up for confirmation and I think they are:
Udea prunalis
Trachycera advenella
Cloaked Minor - bit tricky this one and I wouldn't have got this from Waring. One of the few occasions I have relied on Skinner as I reckon it is a dead ringer for fig. 6 on plate 38.

Cheers

Agree with Jamie on #1 and with you on no.2. Won't attempt 3 & 4, and my Cloaked Minor was similar with less distinct markings.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back