• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reaching Focus (1 Viewer)

WJC

Even though I've been thrown away, I still like to snoop on Cloudy Nights. Right now, one poor fellow is talking about his bino NOT reaching focus, and is being told to SHIM the objects to move the lenses OUT farther.

Well, just because that is easier than going the other way, it does not mean it is the right thing to do. Will someone who frequents Cloudy Nights please go on there for this poor fellow, and give him the real deal.

I tried to get in touch with a moderator. However, I'm not allowed to get THAT far.

Bill

Even though I've been thrown away, I still like to snoop on Cloudy Nights. Right now, one poor fellow is talking about his bino NOT reaching focus, and is being told to SHIM the objects to move the lenses OUT farther.

Well, just because that is easier than going the other way, it does not mean it is the right thing to do. Will someone who frequents Cloudy Nights please go on there for this poor fellow, and give him the real deal.

I tried to get in touch with a moderator. However, I'm not allowed to get THAT far.

Bill

Just out of vulgar curiosity, what did you do?

Just out of vulgar curiosity, what did you do?

There is a fellow on there who asks questions he know the answers to, in order to draw attention to himself, and asks questions of me that he KNOWS would cause me to stop what I’m doing and roust around my basement for hours looking for the proof of my assertions—which I have so far done 100% of the time—while he babbles along gaining worshipers from the newbie and non-English speaking crowd.

If I answer his self-serving questions, I waste my time; if I ignore him, it appears to those newbies and non-English speakers that I’m the one with the problem. And, I’m just not man enough to look the other way. But then, so many of these kinds of forums have members who are so WELL READ on the subject, or have tinkered in their kitchen so much, they can come across as one who knows from In-depth experience what he’s talking about.

I have asked the mods and admin to have the fellow actually state his VERIFIABLE credentials in optics, over a period of YEARS, and for a number of helpful reasons. But they refuse to do so, even for the good of the group. CN is not about educating folks, it’s just another sales vehicle for Astronomics. Thus, they can’t afford get involved; their terms of service seem to be written with the lowest common denominator in mind.

What I could tell you—starting with my first encounter in 1990—would fill volumes. However, what he brings out in me—along with the wimpishness of those who protect him—goes against my philosophies of life and especially my faith. Thus, I will share only this with you. Just know that it is only about ½ of 1% of what I have shared with their Mods and Admin. They will let me back onboard if I promised to be bludgeoned by his crap without offering up any facts to defend myself.

“Without health you HAVE nothing; without INTEGRETY you ARE nothing.”

So, I’ll just leave the staff of Romper Room to their own devices and hurt when I see someone about to waste time and money following the advice of the ill-advised.

Bill |:(|

Excuse me while I go repent . . . AGAIN!

Bill, I would rather see you posting here than that other site anyways, carry on.

Bryce...

Thank you; you are very kind. But, I even get my tail yanked, here, as you have probably noticed even this week. My sad philosophy is ,"to thine own self be true." Don't act like you really want to know about binoculars if you want to shout down the realities with idle chatter.

If you really know what you're talking about, and don't want to get bogged down in all that time-wasting, wishy washy, politically correct garbage, you come across as a hotdog and not part of the wannabe crowd. That's why the heavy hitters never frequent these forums.

They don't want to be taken to task by those who don't have the experience to know. Are the wannabes right? Are the post docs right?

I think the truly helpful reside somewhere in the middle. You can't teach if you can't communicate. You can't communicate if you don't speak a common language.

Bill

Last edited:
Bill,

Hey its andrew with his $39.95 binoculars again.

Hey man you are not looking so good.

I know how its feel when you know you have knowledge but those ignorants cant feel it and attack you for fake fame anf fake joy.

I dont speak english well for sure but atleast i can feel as a human being.

I given up the wish of purchase another binos because you taught me via email how it should be adjusted and even showed me which ways i should be award of if i wanna upgrade it customly.

You are a real teacher as i said before you know the true potential of binos even its just a $39.95 one.

So cheer up

Im sure you did a lot of cheering ups before until you become the you of today, so why dont cheer up again when you do have lots of supporters who got your help before.

Bill,

Hey its andrew with his $39.95 binoculars again.

Hey man you are not looking so good.

I know how its feel when you know you have knowledge but those ignorants cant feel it and attack you for fake fame anf fake joy.

I dont speak english well for sure but atleast i can feel as a human being.

I given up the wish of purchase another binos because you taught me via email how it should be adjusted and even showed me which ways i should be award of if i wanna upgrade it customly.

You are a real teacher as i said before you know the true potential of binos even its just a $39.95 one.

So cheer up

Im sure you did a lot of cheering ups before until you become the you of today, so why dont cheer up again when you do have lots of supporters who got your help before.

Be careful what you say about the "ignorants." People will think that came from me. There's already enough who think I'm over the top.

As one other on this forum is fond of promoting: "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have."

Bill

Thank you; you are very kind. But, I even get my tail yanked, here, as you have probably noticed even this week. My sad philosophy is ,"to thine own self be true." Don't act like you really want to know about binoculars if you want to shout down the realities with idle chatter.

If you really know what you're talking about, and don't want to get bogged down in all that time-wasting, wishy washy, politically correct garbage, you come across as a hotdog and not part of the wannabe crowd. That's why the heavy hitters never frequent these forums.

They don't want to be taken to task by those who don't have the experience to know. Are the wannabes right? Are the post docs right?

I think the truly helpful reside somewhere in the middle. You can't teach if you can't communicate. You can't communicate if you don't speak a common language.

Bill

In the last couple of years I have reached the point I pretty much dont care what happens on forums. The world wide web is full of so many eggspurts that you are tilting at windmills to try and correct them, because for all practical purposes, it's a lost battle. People will believe what they wish to believe.

There are more important things to worry about, at least in my life there are. If ya got the time, then go for it.

In the last couple of years I have reached the point I pretty much dont care what happens on forums. The world wide web is full of so many eggspurts that you are tilting at windmills to try and correct them, because for all practical purposes, it's a lost battle. People will believe what they wish to believe.

There are more important things to worry about, at least in my life there are. If ya got the time, then go for it.

Now, now; be careful. What if Travis had had that attitude? Disney would be poorer, David Crockett would have been a tiny footnote in history, and Buddy Epsen would have missed his gig with the Hillbillies!

Speaking of which, please tell me the facade of the Alamo chapel I have been seeing lately is somewhere else and they haven’t really screwed up the façade on the original. If that's what they have done, tell the governor I'm coming down to see him! A lot!

Of course, you are right. I’m just going for the sacred 2%! “Neptune” had a simple question and was getting all kinds of insipid answers—illogical to ditch diggers—including how to make the matter worse by shimming the objectives farther out, or “gluing” an extra lens on the rear eyelens. I know it’s not popular, but sometimes experience actually trumps opinion. All it would have taken would have been 2 sentences. Fortunately, RichV gave him those. Now, if he follows some less than logical tangent, he’s on his own.

I probably should never go there. But then, thinking has never been my strong suit!

Bill

Last edited:
Now, now; be careful. What if Travis had had that attitude? Disney would be poorer, David Crockett would have been a tiny footnote in history, and Buddy Epsen would have missed his gig with the Hillbillies!

Speaking of which, please tell me the facade of the Alamo chapel I have been seeing lately is somewhere else and they haven’t really screwed up the façade on the original. If that's what they have done, tell the governor I'm coming down to see him! A lot!

Of course, you are right. I’m just going for the sacred 2%! “Neptune” had a simple question and was getting all kinds of insipid answers—illogical to ditch diggers—including how to make the matter worse or “glue” an extra lens on the rear eyelens. I know it’s not popular, but sometimes experience actually trumps opinion. All it would have taken would have been 2 sentences. Fortunately, RichV gave him those. Now, if he follows some less than logical tangent, he’s on his own.

I probably should never go there. But then, thinking has never been my strong suit!

Bill

You have a point for sure, just that the internet has so much faulty info floating around as fact that people seem to find the one they want to believe and take it as the gospel. Whats the saying? "never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it".

I havent seen the Alamo in about 5 years, it's a couple hundred miles south of me, but as far as I know they havent substantially changed it since the late 1800's. :-O

You have a point for sure, just that the internet has so much faulty info floating around as fact that people seem to find the one they want to believe and take it as the gospel. Whats the saying? "never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it".

I havent seen the Alamo in about 5 years, it's a couple hundred miles south of me, but as far as I know they havent substantially changed it since the late 1800's. :-O

I know that top knot was added by the Corps of Engineers in 1852. But to most Americans the chapel IS the Alamo. I gotta find where that other subject of humor is.

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back