• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray Service Question (1 Viewer)

Nathan H

Hi guys. I am new here but really needed to come on to ask a question.

I researched and researched a while back on which pair of binoculars to get. I cannot tell you how much this forum helped me in my decision. The reviews and usage by the members on here helped me 'virtually' see that the Zen Ray was the way to go. So I bought me a pair of ED3's.

I was, and am still, tickled pink with them. First pair of good glass I have ever had. I spent the first week with my old bins just seeing the difference. Unbelievable.

So the more I used them the more I started seeing the subtle, yet definable, differences in them versus the ones that can be bought for under $100. However, I kept having one issue with the left side seeming to be fuzzy. It was hard to tell when you were constantly going back and forth between old bins which were really fuzzy in comparison, but it still had me wondering.

One afternoon I took a flashlight to look into the end of the bins and could see a small, yet distinct, scratch on that lenses that was giving me fits. It was on the inside of them so it must have been done during the manufacturing. Then the more I looked it also looked like the eyepiece lenses had something on it, so I shined the light in it and I could see what looked like specs of dust or something on the inside of the lenses again.

So I guess I just got a bum set. Funny thing is, even with all the issues, they are still the best bins I have ever had. But I just have to wonder how much better they would be with the issues fixed. I did research the issues and see that at least one other person has had the same kind of issue.

But, the kicker is, with all the good things I read on here about the customer service, they seem to be avoiding me like the plague. It took a week at least to receive a call back, and its been almost 3 weeks since then from when I sent all my info off in an email to them. I bought these bins versus another company that had similar ones specifically because the cost was lower for the good quality everyone said they had, even though it was tempting to go with the other company because of their highest rating of customer service.

I figured with all the good things to say about Zen Ray's customer service from the guys on here that I could not go wrong. But I am now starting to wonder. I was hoping that maybe one of you all knew someone there or a better way of getting ahold of them, or could assure me that they were going to take care of me after all. Maybe everyone in the office got sick all at once or something? I'm at a loss, but have spent a lot of money on these to just sit back and chalk it up to bad luck.

I am not trying to put them down by any means, just trying to make sense about it all and hoping you guys can help. Thanks :)

The first rule in optics never take a flashlight to them, LOL!!! Things show up that does not affect what you see. I did that with one of my telescopes I saw writing on the mirror never did see it in the daylight. The scope was the best I owned.

Mike

I'm not sure if this question is relevant but have you set up the diopter correctly? On my nikons the diopter is on the left eyepiece.

The first rule in optics never take a flashlight to them, LOL!!! Things show up that does not affect what you see. I did that with one of my telescopes I saw writing on the mirror never did see it in the daylight. The scope was the best I owned.

Mike

Oh now you tell me. lol. Yea, they sure are great the way they are, but honestly now I am concerned if they ever do have an issue.

I take care of my stuff and hope that nothing ever happens to it. I bought a nice chest pack to carry them in so they are totally enclosed in something while I'm out and about.

But with this lack of service contact from them I am really starting to wonder if something ever happens and I need them fixed, am I going to be able to do that?

I guess that's just the chance you take with companies that are small like this. I just heard such good things about the customer service guy there that it made me feel comfortable in getting them. Of course, most of the articles and reviews were from a few years back so maybe something has changed.

I'm not sure if this question is relevant but have you set up the diopter correctly? On my nikons the diopter is on the left eyepiece.

Yes it is relevant. The diopter is on the right eyepiece however. But, I do have an astigmatism in my left eye which could possibly be aiding in the blurriness. Who knows for sure. I just saw all that stuff and wondered what a pair would be like if they did not have a scratch or the dust stuff trapped inside. I mean, they are sure a lot nicer than the bins I have had before, but when you shell out quite a few Benjamin's you would like to know your going to get what you paid for and that includes the service.

I kind of blew it off after a week. Then after two I started to wonder. Now coming up on three weeks I am concerned that the warranty might not be all it is said to be. I know there are a lot of Zen Ray users on here so I figured maybe someone could help me out.

I'll keep this up to date on the progress. I just recently read a thread on another forum, from just the last few days, where there are a few guys are really ticked off at Zen Ray. They don't seem to indicate its their customer service and I've been trying to ask them if they have even tried to contact their customer service. So I don't want to make people think I am just trying to get on here and rant, I am legitimately trying to get ahold of them.

Hi Nathan,

First of all, I want to thank you for choosing our binoculars. From the description, it does not look like the internal lens smudge will cause the resolution on one side of the binoculars since none of those surfaces is on any focal plane. I suspected it is probably caused by collimation issue. Please PM me so I can take from there to make sure it gets taken care of.

All the best

Charles

Hi Nathan,

First of all, I want to thank you for choosing our binoculars. From the description, it does not look like the internal lens smudge will cause the resolution on one side of the binoculars since none of those surfaces is on any focal plane. I suspected it is probably caused by collimation issue. Please PM me so I can take from there to make sure it gets taken care of.

All the best

Charles

Charles,

Thanks for the email. I saw it before I saw this. I have replied back.

I want to thank you guys for making a good pair of binoculars at the price they are. You have to expect to have some defects from time to time. But the good word of the folks on here helped me decide that your customer service was able to handle it.

I really have to say that even with the issues I am having with the bins they are the best pair I have owned. I did go to the big box stores to look through other brands and other than a slight blur these seemed to stand up to the rest that were significantly higher, and exceed those which were the same price point.

But, I am not an expert, just my humble opinion. I had a guy just last night ask me about them after I had showed them to him a week or so back. So needless to say they made an impression on him. Its what made me go ahead and try to contact you all again today also.

Anyways, thanks for the fast service. :t:

Hi Nathan, I see you are already on the way to have this dealt with. They might have already asked you to do tests by holding the binoculars upside down. (Right eyepiece on your left eye, and Left eyepiece on your right eye.) It is good that if there is something wrong, you can pursue to have it corrected. Good for you.

I have astigmatism too. It causes me to see some blurs in trying to see things. I am wondering if you also might have some interference from this. Eventually you may have to get glasses....

Because I love to use binoculars, I try to use them to enjoy their strengths. I try to avoid my weaknesses to sour a binoculars. That said, you may eventually discover one model fits you best than another model, just because of how they designed the optics and the ergonomics.

ZenRay does have some sweet binoculars. I have a couple of them too!
Rob.

Hi Nathan, I see you are already on the way to have this dealt with. They might have already asked you to do tests by holding the binoculars upside down. (Right eyepiece on your left eye, and Left eyepiece on your right eye.) It is good that if there is something wrong, you can pursue to have it corrected. Good for you.

I have astigmatism too. It causes me to see some blurs in trying to see things. I am wondering if you also might have some interference from this. Eventually you may have to get glasses....

Because I love to use binoculars, I try to use them to enjoy their strengths. I try to avoid my weaknesses to sour a binoculars. That said, you may eventually discover one model fits you best than another model, just because of how they designed the optics and the ergonomics.

ZenRay does have some sweet binoculars. I have a couple of them too!
Rob.

Thanks for the insight. I did some looking into the astigmatism and they do say you have to wear glasses or contacts to properly view things in binoculars. I wear contacts, used to wear glasses, and I went through a few different kinds till I found one that works best with the astigmatism.

No tests were asked to do. I am not against it though, could you give more detail on how to perform them?

I had a hard time deciding whether or not I should talk to Zen Ray about the bins. I usually just deal with what I have got even if I see that its not perfect. And I would have with this pair had I not looked into the end and saw the line on the glass. It very well may not be playing a roll and it might be the collimation as Charles said.

I in no way at all want this to be a sour look on Zen Ray. I do understand that at times, with small companies, things take some time and/or some different approaches for communication to be effective. I do not blame them for my impatience at all. The simple fact is that they have a great product for the cost. I am sure there will be more Zen Ray's in my future. I am planning a trip out west and am going to be needing a good spotting scope come next year.

I really did just come on here in hopes that I could reach out to them in another way other than phone/email, and to have you guys assure me that their service is what I have heard. Both goals were accomplished and I am as happy as a pup with two tails.

Got the new Zen Ray's in today. They look good. I can tell a difference in them for sure so at least I know it was not me.

Thanks again to Charles for the quick response on here and the support given. I can recommend with ease for sure.

Thanks for the insight. I did some looking into the astigmatism and they do say you have to wear glasses or contacts to properly view things in binoculars. I wear contacts, used to wear glasses, and I went through a few different kinds till I found one that works best with the astigmatism.

No tests were asked to do. I am not against it though, could you give more detail on how to perform them?

I had a hard time deciding whether or not I should talk to Zen Ray about the bins. I usually just deal with what I have got even if I see that its not perfect. And I would have with this pair had I not looked into the end and saw the line on the glass. It very well may not be playing a roll and it might be the collimation as Charles said.

I in no way at all want this to be a sour look on Zen Ray. I do understand that at times, with small companies, things take some time and/or some different approaches for communication to be effective. I do not blame them for my impatience at all. The simple fact is that they have a great product for the cost. I am sure there will be more Zen Ray's in my future. I am planning a trip out west and am going to be needing a good spotting scope come next year.

I really did just come on here in hopes that I could reach out to them in another way other than phone/email, and to have you guys assure me that their service is what I have heard. Both goals were accomplished and I am as happy as a pup with two tails.

Collimation issues do not cause LINES to appear!

Bill

Collimation issues do not cause LINES to appear!

Bill

Bill, I think he was referring to the possibility that his blurriness problems were being caused by bad collimation rather than being caused by the line he saw on the glass.

Bill, I think he was referring to the possibility that his blurriness problems were being caused by bad collimation rather than being caused by the line he saw on the glass.

Howard:

Roger that; thanks.

Bill

PS It is often hard to find out what a questioner REALLY means. Optical terms are so foreign to many folks. Poor collimation will definitely cause poor seeing. Even so, technically it does not cause blurriness. If telescopes are viewed individually, they should provide a decent image. I have often heard people complain of their bino not focussing when, in fact, it FOCUSED just fine. The double image had little to do with focus and ALL to do with miscollimation.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back