• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 british birds (1 Viewer)

I'm really not in the mood for consuming another hat after recent events, but I am more than willing to eat several hats over this one. Its a flippin' Whitethroat. Pleeeasse just give in and save this debate raging on another 100 posts.

Where on earth is the strong super of a Wren? In fact, having all you in the pro-Wren camp been misidentifying Wrens all your life?

Oh dear, oh dear.

Picture 3

Very first instant impression from no. 3 was Lesser whitethroat - anyone still in that camp?

wrexile1 said:
I'm really not in the mood for consuming another hat after recent events, but I am more than willing to eat several hats over this one. Its a flippin' Whitethroat. Pleeeasse just give in and save this debate raging on another 100 posts.

Where on earth is the strong super of a Wren? In fact, having all you in the pro-Wren camp been misidentifying Wrens all your life?

Oh dear, oh dear.

Perhaps there is room for a roaring trade in the Collins field guide

I don't think you're absurd at all . I think 1) is whimbrel
2) overexposed shot of a wren,the habitat ,stance etc all v. wren like. Not like a whitethroat at all to me. Size is fine when you consider it's perching easily on a fern frond without bending it. Any appearance of it being larger is probably to do with loss of perspective when "zooming' in for the photo.
3) young whitethroat
4) chiffchaff

harryabbott said:
I don't think you're absurd at all . I think 1) is whimbrel
2) overexposed shot of a wren,the habitat ,stance etc all v. wren like. Not like a whitethroat at all to me. Size is fine when you consider it's perching easily on a fern frond without bending it. Any appearance of it being larger is probably to do with loss of perspective when "zooming' in for the photo.

Picture two IS a Whitethroat - this bird is not a Wren. As Josh has stated - it's worrying that so many people see this as a Wren. Wrens have draker legs, are darker overall and don't have a large bright white throat.

Just found this thread - what a hoot, you must all have been as bored stiff as I am today!

1. Whimbrel - no doubt about that at all, just based on bill structure alone. No way that this bird could be a Curlew in any sex, age, or form whatsoever.

2. Common Whitethroat - but if this photo had been taken in my garden in summer I would have said female Spectacled Warbler. I can see the "Cetti's" aspect in the tail, but the breast is too pale (even though the light tones are burned out in this shot) and I have never seen a Cetti's perched on top of vegetation, especially bracken. Wren is a non-starter.

3. The most difficult of the bunch, even though it is the best photograph. This is a very young bird (going by the gape) and that is dangerous ground. I wonder if it is associated with photo no. 2? If so, I would go with juvenile Common Whitethroat.

4. Unless you can make it sing I cannot be 100% certain, but I go with Chiffchaff on this one - it is mainly gut reaction (and also I have seen about 200 Chiffchaffs today) since there is no way of telling the leg colour on this photo.

5. Spotted Flycatcher - if this was just a black silhouette I would be 99.9% certain.

Finally, the camera can and often does lie even in reasonably good photographs, and these are bloody awful! :brains:

Colin

I'm with Firecrest on my response to this thread carrying on- "NOOOOOoooooo"

On the other hand, let's see if we can bump it up to 200 posts-

1)Slender-billed Curlew
2)Spectacled warbler (cheers Colin)
3)Juvenile Wren
4)Chiff/Willow hybrid
5)Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (1st winter male)

;)

Blimey.............

Just got back on the forum after 18 months off. I see not much has changed!! Well done Colinkey. Agree 100% with your ID's!!

dantheman said:
I'm with Firecrest on my response to this thread carrying on- "NOOOOOoooooo"

On the other hand, let's see if we can bump it up to 200 posts-

1)Slender-billed Curlew
2)Spectacled warbler (cheers Colin)
3)Juvenile Wren
4)Chiff/Willow hybrid
5)Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (1st winter male)

;)

Keep at it Dan and Firecrest will probably change his ID again in 10 posts' time!!
This is the funniest thing I have read on here - Cheers Mark for letting me know about it!!
;))Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back