• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are We All Boring ? (1 Viewer)

I have been given a bit of stick at work, because of my birding, but the same people that dish it out suddenly become very interested when they see something unusual.I have lost count of the time these people have come to me, with questions about a bird they have seen, in their garden or where ever.I generally thing everyone has an interest in birds, its just that most people don't notice them until they are right infront of them.Of course we were all probably in the same position at one time, and then something out of the ordinary changed our lives. Waxwings have probably been responsible for a few converts this winter.
Ah yes, my experience exactly as well. Most people at first don't know I'm a birder. I don't fit the stereotype of a birder especially in San Diego. When I tell people I am they are rather bewildered. They ask me, "what's so special about watching birds?" You have to explain that the term "watching" isn't a literal one.

As far as boring goes, that's a matter of opinion. I know that my personality and sense of humor doesn't mesh well with the typical birder so I tend to bird alone most of the time. I'm also the type of birder who gets in as close as I can. I've gotten to within 10 feet of a mixed flock of resting sandpipers because of my technique.

Last edited:
Personally I'd rather be a 'sad' birdwatcher than a so-called normal person who watches soaps and reads gossip magazines and complains about being bored and there being nothing to do! THEY are the sad anoraks, not us! How you can be classed as an anorak because you are interested in the world around you beats me Better than wondering if Michael Jackson really will turn up at Jade Goody's State Funeral on Saturday *i work in a newsagents so can't help seeing headlines like this....I don't READ the stoopid articles!!!*

Finchey....you wear your binoculars with pride mate!

:clap::clap::clap: I wish there was a bowing smiley because this sums it up perfectly!

It doesn't help me any that I also collect stamps. That also is not known for its excitement. LOL!

Me too hun ;) I've got about 2000 various nature stamps - around 90% of which are birds :t: I used to collect them when I was a wee bairn and it's only in the past year, after a penpal sent me a mixed pack of 200, that I have gotten back into it. Some of the illustrations on there are mini works of art and I can pick them up off Ebay for just pennies! How much of a sad anorak am I? :-O

I've gotten to within 10 feet of a mixed flock of resting sandpipers because of my technique.

Teach me your ways sir!:-O I like to go alone too, I like getting real close to raptors, actually all of my decent pictures of birds I had to sneak and crawl and stand perfectly still to get close enough ;).

As for this thread I talked to a friend just now down by the river and asked him if he thought us "birders" were boring or weird. He said no he actually learns a lot by hanging around me (usually fishing) and he admits he now looks for hawks and stuff so...

I don't care who knows that i'm a birder. It usually generates some interesting conversations, and is a great talking point when i meet new people. If people say that it's nerdy I always say that trainspotters are the anoraks, birders are the cool ones!

P.s For other teen guys, don't be afraid to tell girls your hobby! It's a great line with the ladies, trust me!

I've got several geeky interests: astronomy being the geekiest, I guess.... But I've never had anyone call me a nerd for being a birder: à chacun son goût

Alot of people at school laugh when they find out I'm a birder. But I don't give a s**t coz at the end of the day, It's my hobby and it makes me happy.

.......When i told another friend about this he said its because birdwatchers are seen to be very dull type people like trainwatchers, etc. I honestly didnt think this to be the case, but has anyone else experienced this sort of reaction from members of the public when they said they were keen bird watchers ?............

I don't normally get too bad a reaction, however there has been the occasional incident. What bugs me about these people, is that usually they lead much more dull and boring lives than I do. They barely leave the safety of their local community, and if they have hobbies it's usually something completely mindless.

Birders are just a cross-section of society, the same with any group of people. I know some birders that I think are really interesting and cool people. I also know some that are rank boring and wouldn't even try to make eye contact with in case they came over and tried to start up a (boring) conversation. It's not being (or not being) a birder that make people boring (looser, geek, nerd, whatever you want adjective you want to use), it's how people are, that dictates it. People have different interests and it's just ignorance that make people smirk when they envisage you sat around in a wet field being also very patient.
I'm sure most adults would smirk at your librarian knowing that she thought that Jade Goodey* was an inspirational human being.

*Jade Goodey - a ... (edited out of respect for the dead) reality TV person who died recently.

Last edited:
Hang on a sec guys and gals....Isn't this supposed to be the Bird ID Q and A section? Surely there is a better place for this thread. And surely there is no place for handing out a good slagging to someone who just died, no matter what your opinion of her.

Hang on a sec guys and gals....Isn't this supposed to be the Bird ID Q and A section? Surely there is a better place for this thread. And surely there is no place for handing out a good slagging to someone who just died, no matter what your opinion of her.

On reflextion, you're right. I've edited my comments.

My own girlfriend thinks I'm a geek...but quess what...I don't care one bit. Just do what you want to do and descent people will accept you. Just don't eat kittens for breakfast.

Maybe a mod could move it to ruffled feathers. It seems to belong there.

You are probably right Apodemus.......tho in my opinion....'ruffled feathers' is a bit tooo 'smooth'!....thuz hardly a feather out of place....;)!! Hey ho....wotever floats yer boat......flies yer kite...etc etc....

ps...are birders boring?....perhaps depends on the personality of the person/s asking the question....;)?....overall i guess we're all a tad freakish/eccentric....maybe that's part the reason why the pastime has become so popular......Respects............

I think we're relatively lucky in the UK. The RSPB has over a million members - getting on for two percent of the population!

Birdwatching is becoming more cool. Over 500,000 people took part in the annual RSPB birdwatch recently. Even so, we can still be seen as objects of ridicule, usually by people who haven't any real interests of their own.

We should be proud and try to inform and educate people whenever we can.

I have to say, I have never had any problems like that in a library, or any other public place I have asked questions about birds. I have had lots of help from lots of people.

I believe in the motto live and let live. I do not bother what people think of my bird watching, as long as they do cause problems for me in any way to spoil/interfer with my enjoyment of what I like doing with my life.

If people have a hobby so be it. Bird watching is a popular pastime like football (football I looth). I think that bird watching is more unusual than say the more popular football and drinking yourself stupid on Saturday night.
To me football, bingo, gambling and drinking yourself to sleep that is being a bore. Also sitting around all day, everyday doing nothing that is being a bore too.

A person needs to have an open mind to take an interest in hobbies (birdwatching) of their own and not reply on the whole world to tell them what to do with their time. I have personally never been a follower that way, and never will be.

So it take all types to make the world, and birdwatching is here to stay as far as I am concerned. :-O

Last edited:
WOW ! ! Thank you everyone so much for your messages of support as well as your shared experiences.

You just confirmed to me that we are not all dull bores just because we have a hobby that some folks dont understand.

Im guess im just a little sensitive too about being called boring cause i dont have a girlfriend and would be considered to be very shy. My sister calls me a little odd but she means it in an affectionate type of way i think.

Although ive been using this site for a while, i only recently picked up the courage to join, but i must say, you guys are brill, i shoulda joined here ages ago.

Thanks everyone for your friendship here.

Finchey

Just don't eat kittens for breakfast.
Damn:-C . Still, back to birding! I used to be embarresed about letting people know I was a birder, then I stopped worrying about fashion, and which bands were "cool", and stuff like that ( in other words, I grew up) and now, if anyone laughs/ s******s at me, I have the smug satisfaction of knowing I've brightened up their sad little lives :D:D:D. Just smile pityingly at them and get on with birding.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back