• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are We All Boring ? (1 Viewer)

Damn:-C . Still, back to birding! I used to be embarresed about letting people know I was a birder, then I stopped worrying about fashion, and which bands were "cool", and stuff like that ( in other words, I grew up) and now, if anyone laughs/ s******s at me, I have the smug satisfaction of knowing I've brightened up their sad little lives :D:D:D. Just smile pityingly at them and get on with birding.
Chris

Hi Chris

Could not have said it better myself. Some people just misunderstand that a person has a hobby like birding because they have nothing to look forward too themselves.

1. Either that they are not mobile for some reason, which is a valid reason.
2. They are cash strapped - a valid reason to a point.
3. They are too lazy to do anything constructive with their own lives
4. They are jealous of someone elses interest in birds.

I think No. 3 is a more obvious one to me with some people. So they mock what they do not understand. ;)

So sad to be like that IMHO.

lets be selfish about this - its much better to be boring than bored.

Well said. Also, I think many who assume birdwatching is boring don't really understand what is involved. All they know about it is media stereotypes suggesting it is an activity only for eccentrics or little old ladies (no offense to the little old ladies out there!;)). I had one friend who had an interest in plants say that he did not think he would like birding because he thought it would be too passive! I think he might have changed his mind if he had accompanied me on a 24 hour birdathon or two. ;)

Best,
Jim

I have never worried much about what people think of my bird-watching. I am sure there are people who think it is quite pointless and silly but I certainly get a lot of enjoyment from it and that is what counts to me.

I did once get out of a speeding ticket due to bird-watching. I was pulled over and the officer asked where I was going in such a hurry and I told him that I was going to look for a rare bird that had been reported. After hearing where I was going and where I had come from the officer exclaimed, “You drove 150 miles to see a bird!?!?!” I told him yes and he had a good laugh and told me to slow down and be careful and sent me on my way without a citation.

I have found that in general bird-watchers are some of the friendliest people I have encountered and aside from the great reward of seeing the amazing variety of birds that are all around us I have made lots of great friends as a result of my birding activities.

Greg

Personally I can think of nothing more boring than watching 22 overpaid men running around a field after a ball.Then I have to go through listening to the post match analysis by my work mates "He should have put so and so here and put him up front etc".Drives me up the wall!
As has already been said,everyone is boring to someone.

If I'm honest, I find some birders pretty dull company... But only those who have little or no interest in anything else!;)

Of course that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to discuss birds at length on occasion, it's just that in say the case of local wildlife, I'm just as interested in identifying other species too (there's well over 100 species of reptiles in my neck of the woods and a similar number of species of frogs, both of which I love studying) but I find many other birders just aren't interested. How anyone can walk through tropical rainforest and only be interested in the birds I simply don't know.

Conversely, as there are relatively few birders per square km here compared with the UK, I find I'm much in demand (despite being a very average birder) for identifying 'funny' birds seen in people's yards. So I guess us birders can have our uses in the eyes of the non-birding public...:t:

Im guess im just a little sensitive too about being called boring cause i dont have a girlfriend and would be considered to be very shy. My sister calls me a little odd but she means it in an affectionate type of way i think.

Slightly off-topic: To anyone who professes themselves to be shy and struggles with it, I recommend reading the book "The Introvert Advantage" by Marti Olsen Laney. I used to be quite shy as well, hated myself for it, and was very sensitive to criticism, but this book helped me completely change the way I view myself, and consequently how I interact with others. It took some time, but I understand myself a lot better and am quite comfortable with who I am.

I don't notice much in the way of negative reactions around me for being a birder. If anything I feel proud that my hobbies (which also include botanizing, running, and reading) are mentally and physically engaging. Some people might not understand me, but I don't understand people that do nothing with their evenings but sit in front of the TV, or nothing with their weekends but get smashing drunk and hungover. Talk about dull ;)

Slightly off-topic: To anyone who professes themselves to be shy and struggles with it, I recommend reading the book "The Introvert Advantage" by Marti Olsen Laney. I used to be quite shy as well, hated myself for it, and was very sensitive to criticism, but this book helped me completely change the way I view myself, and consequently how I interact with others. It took some time, but I understand myself a lot better and am quite comfortable with who I am.

I don't notice much in the way of negative reactions around me for being a birder. If anything I feel proud that my hobbies (which also include botanizing, running, and reading) are mentally and physically engaging. Some people might not understand me, but I don't understand people that do nothing with their evenings but sit in front of the TV, or nothing with their weekends but get smashing drunk and hungover. Talk about dull ;)

Hi Ovenbird

I have always loved nature, and conservation, and met some really good friends over the years. I went through a shy patch, hated crowds, and meeting these people took me out of my shell. They where the best tonic to have, and took you at face value.

To me all nature lovers have the kindest hearts, and are very genuine people. I have never had any problems with wildlife lovers at all.

I have close friends I have known for 30 years now, and I met them through a Volunteer Group who would meet up in Sunday and do some Pond digging. Tree Planting etc... They are the best friends I could wish to have - the support network has been there for all 30 years. We have seen each others ups and downs, and it makes life a lot more interesting.

No regrets there, and the interest in Wildlife carries on to this day.
Like what people has mentioned on this thread, I found people at work, who thought I was a bit odd when I turned up with a rucksack on Friday to go walking. :gh:

Now I would not care what people think of my walking boots, rucksack, bins and accessories whatever ;)

Last edited:
i dont think any one with an interest in birds is boring but some people will never understand why we watch birds, example my friend thinks birds are dull because he thinks they are all basically the same,witch i cant disagree with more.(different colors,sizes,calls,habitats.) i think you are either born with a interest deep down in nature or it develops from family members,friends or watching other people doing it......At least all of us on this forum love birdso:D

If I'm honest, I find some birders pretty dull company... But only those who have little or no interest in anything else!;)

Of course that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to discuss birds at length on occasion, it's just that in say the case of local wildlife, I'm just as interested in identifying other species too (there's well over 100 species of reptiles in my neck of the woods and a similar number of species of frogs, both of which I love studying) but I find many other birders just aren't interested. How anyone can walk through tropical rainforest and only be interested in the birds I simply don't know.

Conversely, as there are relatively few birders per square km here compared with the UK, I find I'm much in demand (despite being a very average birder) for identifying 'funny' birds seen in people's yards. So I guess us birders can have our uses in the eyes of the non-birding public...:t:

In complete agreement there!

In my experience....people start with the birds...then many evolve their interests....[always a few tho that just like 'feathered things']! Not much i'm not into...dragonflies..[increasingly popular with birders methinks]...butterflies..moths...reptiles....itz all fantastic....[i especially like snakes]....just a wildlife freak i guess...;) Beware boredom....!

im fairly new to birdwatching and wanted to research in my local library what it could have been. When i said to the young girl what i was looking for, she gave a little like giggle to herself, as if to say get a life you loser.

She's not really in a position to judge, is she? It's not as if librarians have that great an image!* (no offence to any librarians online!)

* Although having just tried to google images of librarians to illustrate this point, I may be wrong about this!

To follow on from post No. 49- Most people simply dont have any idea, how to Id even the most common of birds. Birds like Greenfinch, Jay and Dunnock.
They are totally oblivious to the uncommon species, stunning birds like Redstart, Pied Flycatcher,Ring Ouzel and Waxwing. Non birders probably think we go and "watch" dunnocks and Blue Tits all day. They just dont know what great sights we see, when out and about. I reckon thats why a few see our hobby as dull/boring.

[/B]

I teach high school and birdwatching is not at all cool for teenagers. You should see the smirks from the teenaged staff at the wings place where we gather to tally the Christmas bird count. "Are you with the birdwatchers?...giggle giggle, smirk". I have to laugh right along with them.

I make a point of "confessing" to my students that I watch birds. They snicker and laugh and it's OK, because I'm laughing first. But then they quiz me and get me to ID birds by sound on the internet, mostly to waste time, but also because they don't know people that can do that.

When I get the grade 10's to do a wildlife ID journal in the ecology unit, you always find quite a few with a genuine interest. They still aren't going to be seen dead binoculars around their neck, but if they see something on the way to school, they'll tell/ask me about it.

I also get questions from neighbors and co-workers. House guests are often fascinated by the birds at the feeders, especially when I can answer their questions.

Most humans are out of touch with nature. We keep our kids in sight of the back door; and allowing kids to expore the woodlot or abandonned field on their own will land children's aid at your door.

Geeky, freaky, odd or creepy,.... the world needs people like us.

Scott

Your approach and attitude is spot on! I wish there were more people like you to inspire young people.
Good for you! :t:

I find here in California it is just the opposite. People are very interested and generally very upbeat about it. When folks see a camera they always ask if I got any good birds. It's a great hobby for anyone, keep taking those photos, we may not have our birds much longer and we'll need all the pictures we can get. Hooray for the waxwings, they are some of the most beautiful birds in the world...

I have (freinds) that often take the micky because I'm a "Birdwatcher" but just recently whilst out for a walk has 2 families I spotted a Peregrine the grapple that ensued for bins only made me smile "Boring aint it"!!!

i come from a family of soap addicts and have given up many years ago describing my days out to them,thankfully websites like this listen to you,even if you closest mates think your boring,incidently when doing family quizzes or puzzles i always come out in front even when the questions are about soaps which i never watch,everybody needs a interest in life im lucky to have a healthy cheap one ,im 47 and have lost a few friends with only the drink to occupy their lives,the latest generation are losing their lives due to drugs,wildlife lovers seem to avoid these curses,maybe the drink/drug rehab people should look into this,
on a lighter note check this out
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...-know-what-a-sheep-looks-like-86908-21238908/

That article is pretty shocking!! 80 percent couldn't identify a bluebell and 10 percent shown a hare thought it was a deer! :eek!:

...maybe if it was battered and deep fried they'd recognise it more easily? ;)

I'm definitely a bit boring, in the same way that football fans are boring, or gardeners, or stamp collectors. If you're not in that clique then it's not normally that interesting and members can sometimes seem a bit... odd. That's just the way people are. Bird watching may not be 'cool' but I'd rather be uncool and do something I enjoy rather than waste time watching some waste of space kicking a ball or switch off my brain and endure Big Bother or Eastblanders.

Truth be told in reality I don't really find many people that think it odd though. I got more stick from people when was taking photos of my home town than when I go out watching and photographing birds - if anything a lot of people stop and ask me what I'm watching and are really interested, especially if it's something they've not seen or even heard of before!

My long adopted policy of not giving a stuff what other people think has stood me in good stead down the years.

90% of televised sport bores me rigid (with football right at the top in the soporific stakes). Other people seem to quite like it. To each their own.

If people think I'm boring 'cos I jump up and down with glee watching Kites wheeling lazily over Wallingford, or stand in open jawed wonder as six Bearded Tits clinging to a reed stem cause it to droop alarmingly close to the water below, or laugh whan a Puffin makes one of those barely controlled crashes they call landings into the sea then they're the losers with sad empty lives.....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back