• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mismatched left and right views (1 Viewer)

so its me again the one with a poor binoculars that prints 20x-280x200 on it but it did a good job to teach me about binoculars quality.

i know this forum has many experienced guys who like to share so i must ask about this poor binoculars again.

when its at minium power the image is sharp and all, but when it is zoomed to somepoint, the left eye image and the right eye image starting to spread away from each other, i tried all the adjustments i can do on it but helpless.

question: which is the problem causing reason? my own eyes health? Stupid design? Lens need adjustment by opening the binoculars apart? Unknown damage caused by binoculats fell on ground? Budget limitation? Something else?

Dang if i can learn this lesson well then i can make the next purchase of another pair of bins with more appreciation.

Is this the one?
http://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/p2039...280x-200-IPD-Zoom-Binocular/product_info.html

It sounds very much like you have miscollimation. That essentially means the lenses point in different directions. It might be that under the rubber covers or somewhere there are adjustment screws to allow correction, but my advice is don't touch them unless you have a pretty good idea about what you are doing. Things can go horribly wrong. If there are no external screws then it's definitely a workshop job. Bill will no doubt give you the workshop perspective . ;) If you are content with the view at low power, stay with that. There are all kinds of reasons, bescides miscollimation, why things will get worse at higher power.

David

Thx yes now i notice those adjustable rings. They nerd special tools to screw. I will see what i can do.

The 20-280x200 only taught you the first lesson. You are learning the second one, now. Your bino is out of collimation--as cheap binoculars are prone to be.

99.9% of the info on collimation on the Internet is wrong!!!!!! They can lead you to a condition that will work well for ONE IPD, but is not 3-axis collimation!

For the real info, sent your email address to me at [email protected]. The paper will explain the difference between "collimation" and "conditional alignment." you might want to read the paper before starting to turn anything willy-nilly.

Good luck,

Bill :t:

Last edited:
Dear powerfulforcer,
You will be much better served for high magnification by a spotting scope or even cheap astro refractor.
Say 18x to 55x 65 or 20x to 60x 80.
Maybe look through before buying.

In your part of the world there are many technicians. Probably best to let them collimate the binocular, even if not perfect.

Also betting is a popular local pastime, maybe.

Good luck.

Thx bill and david you guys are real master of knowledge and will not take advantages from students.

I think that is very kind. I don't know about David, but my AWESOME GREATNESS is only surpassed by my INCREDIBILITY . . . HUMILITY!!! |:D|

I have seen few techs who don't know the whys and wherefores of true three-axis collimation. This includes some that have been repair managers at their companies for years (Stateside, anyway). But be careful of those students. Some have advanced degrees and much experience in various fields . They just lay low so as not to get into arguments with others.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back