• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

RSPB Saltholme this evening late opening 7-8.15pm - Bottom Tank - Snipe x5, Lapwing x5.

Wildlife Watchpoint - fox coming to apples.

Saltholme Hide - in front of the window - Snipe x12, Dunlin x35, Yellow Wagtail (juv) x2, Redshank and Lapwing x2. A Greenshank had been present just before I arrived. Walking down to the hide three fox cubs were chasing hares and Starling c.2000 were wheeling around over the wet grassland before heading towards Petroplus. Lots of Geese and Curlew in flight plus one Little Egret.

Attachments

• IMG_8544a.jpg
    IMG_8544a.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_8687a.jpg
    IMG_8687a.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8580a.jpg
    IMG_8580a.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8789a.jpg
    IMG_8789a.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8631a.jpg
    IMG_8631a.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 102
Sea Watch from Whitburn Coastal Park

Seawatch yesterday evening between 07:30 - 09:30 and then 17:30 - 18:30:

These are my total numbers for the day.

Great Skua 3N
Manx Shearwater 31N
Roseate Tern 3 (feeding just offshore)
Great Crested Grebe 1N
Shag 1S
Teal 25N
Common Scoter 90N
Gannet (lots!)

Scope for sale

Celestron Ultima 80 Scope with 20-60 Zoom Eyepiece and seperate x25 Eyepiece. Waterproof and with Soft Case. Also Tripod with carry handle. Will also throw in the new Collins Bird Guide edition 2 hard back and loads of back issue Birdwatching mags if wanted.

All as new condition £100 no offers.

Please pm with tel number and i will get back to you tomorrow.

Osprey still at Crookfoot Reservoir this morning though remaning in the trees on the west side and not always in view.

Whiskered Tern at RSPB Saltholme am on the west pond. It was feeding by the roadside as I drove past but by the time I'd parked up it was heading over to Back Saltholme. Also along the causeway - Little Gull, Blacktailed Godwit x2, Dunlin c.30, Ruff x2.

RSPB Saltholme this evening during the late evening opening for the Tall Ships event - Saltholme Hide - Barn Owl, Ruff, Greenshank, Redshank, Snipe, Dunlin x12, Lapwing x5, Pied Wagtail, Yellow Wagtail. Fox chasing after waders ran right by the hide.

Attachments

• IMG_8872ao.jpg
    IMG_8872ao.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8990ao.jpg
    IMG_8990ao.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_9338ao.jpg
    IMG_9338ao.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_8889ao.jpg
    IMG_8889ao.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9346ao.jpg
    IMG_9346ao.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 122
NTBC/NEWT pelagics update

Morning all

We're down to our last few pelagic spaces for this year, so please give us a call on O167O 827465 to book on any of these;

Thursday August 12th. 10hr pelagic to the Farne Deeps, departing Royal Quays at 08:00. £60/person. 4 places remaining.

Saturday September 4th. 8hr pelagic departing Royal Quays at 09:00. £45/person. 1 place remaining.

Saturday September 18th. 8hr pelagic departing Royal Quays at 09:00. £45/person. 1 place remaining.

We will also collect participants from Mill Dam if required.

cheers
martin

Black necked Grebe again on the main lake at Hetton Lyons Pk

NZ359477

Nice one Mr E.
Still there at 11.00am, watched It diving, preening etc for around 3/4 hour, but It never seemed to come up with any fish.

Attachments

• _MG_5226.JPG
    _MG_5226.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 121
  • _MG_5414.JPG
    _MG_5414.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 109
  • _MG_5419.JPG
    _MG_5419.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 86
  • _MG_5424.JPG
    _MG_5424.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 92
  • _MG_5437.JPG
    _MG_5437.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 87
RSPB Saltholme - good views of the Whiskered Tern again today.

Pretty much the same as the last few days for other birds on the reserve with several Ruff, Snipe, Black-tailed Godwit, Dunlin and Wagtails in front of the Saltholme hide plus a near summer plumaged Turnstone that looked striking but remained too distant for photos.

Barn Owl around again this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_0500ao.jpg
    IMG_0500ao.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0934ao.jpg
    IMG_0934ao.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1125ao.jpg
    IMG_1125ao.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1131ao.jpg
    IMG_1131ao.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1499ao.jpg
    IMG_1499ao.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 82
bng

Nice one Mr E.
Still there at 11.00am, watched It diving, preening etc for around 3/4 hour, but It never seemed to come up with any fish.

it was catching small fish no probs Ray at the weekend, nr the outlet ( & taking feathers to aid digestion)i wonder if smaller items are consumed before it breaks the surface ?

after Colin phoned, i got through asap, but it took me 15 mins before i could see it - hard to believe on an open water body with no emergent vegetation !

Its still there this morning, also Kingfisher, Dunlin & Green Sand.

Gulls!

Just checking to see that I haven't misidentified these that I saw yesterday.
1. Common Gull (seen at Saltholme)
2-4. Common Gull (seen at North Gare, Teesmouth)
5. Not sure what it is (also seen at North Gare)

thanks

Noel

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2896.JPG
    IMG_2896.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2907.JPG
    IMG_2907.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 135
it was catching small fish no probs Ray at the weekend, nr the outlet ( & taking feathers to aid digestion)i wonder if smaller items are consumed before it breaks the surface ?

It was at the end nearest the middle pond, N.W. when we saw It, and did see It taking feathers, but didn't know why. Maybe It does eat the smaller stuff prior to surfacing, but It made loads of Dives and seemed to be empty handed when It surfaced.
and before anyone mentions, I checked It's beak as well:-O.

Just checking to see that I haven't misidentified these that I saw yesterday.
1. Common Gull (seen at Saltholme)
2-4. Common Gull (seen at North Gare, Teesmouth)
5. Not sure what it is (also seen at North Gare)

thanks

Noel
Gulls look all like Herring gulls to me and the last pic is a Sandwich Tern.

It made loads of Dives and seemed to be empty handed when It surfaced.

I popped in to see it Yesterday from 16:30-17:40 (between heavy downpours:C) and it came up a couple of times with small fish and once or twice with some weed:h?:

Attachments

• Black-necked Grebe.jpg
    Black-necked Grebe.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Black-necked Grebe2.jpg
    Black-necked Grebe2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 89
It was at the end nearest the middle pond, N.W. when we saw It, and did see It taking feathers, but didn't know why. Maybe It does eat the smaller stuff prior to surfacing, but It made loads of Dives and seemed to be empty handed when It surfaced.
:-O

Having no hands probably explains why its got a black neck;)

Nice selection

Stoneybeck Lake

This is the "road-side pool" on the RHS as you approach Bishop Middleham from the Sedgefield / Coxhoe road.

This land here is managed sensitively for wildlife as well as farm produce.

There are several recent instances of people walking round the lake, despite there being no rights of way / nor access round it.

Thankfully there was no sign of any disturbance today, with a nice selection of waders.

3 Greenshank,
2 Ruff,
1 Black tailed Godwit,
4 Green Sandpiper,
12 Snipe,
1 Common Sandpiper,

4j Yellowagtail, 1Gsw, 5Dabchick, 200Greylag, 1C.Buzzard, Corn Bunting singing, 1 ad & 1j Little Owl, 2j Bullfinch, Shoveller, Pochard, 8 Teal, f Sparrowhawk, 20+Tree Sparrow, 3 Hares etc etc

Another Good wader day, with 12 species - but Stoneybeck currently performing better than The Lake . . .

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/2010/08/roadside-waders-et-al.html

Attachments

• LO_11th_AUGU_2010-am-039.gif
    LO_11th_AUGU_2010-am-039.gif
    169.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Greens_11th_AUGU_2010-am-08.gif
    Greens_11th_AUGU_2010-am-08.gif
    132.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
LBB vs YL Gull.

A Gull question.
While working in Peterlee today I saw a Gull which I thought was an adult Herring Gull until I noticed the bright Yellow legs, so then I automatically thought Lesser Black Backed Gull. But thinking about other Lesser Black Backs I've seen the grey back looked a lot lighter than usual making me hope Yellow Legged Gull (which I don't think it would be).
Anyway I only saw the bird on the ground as we drove past so didn't have time to study it, but I was wondering how you would tell between LBB Gull and YL Gull at a glance???
Because they both look the bloody same to me;):-O:-O.

A Gull question.
While working in Peterlee today I saw a Gull which I thought was an adult Herring Gull until I noticed the bright Yellow legs, so then I automatically thought Lesser Black Backed Gull. But thinking about other Lesser Black Backs I've seen the grey back looked a lot lighter than usual making me hope Yellow Legged Gull (which I don't think it would be).
Anyway I only saw the bird on the ground as we drove past so didn't have time to study it, but I was wondering how you would tell between LBB Gull and YL Gull at a glance???
Because they both look the bloody same to me;):-O:-O.
I don't think there is an easy way to tell them apart. I usually try to go by the size of the spots on the wings when at rest. I've seen an awful lot of light grey LBB Gulls. Even the intensity of the yellow legs on LBBG varies tremendously.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back