• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

revisited thorne moor this afternoon. parked at moorend. walk takes about 45mins to get to the viewing platform which is dodgy for scopes as it is steel mezzanine. bit hazy, so i walked to the road that bisects the moor. 3-5 hobbies were hawking for insects on all points of the compass. how we missed them on sunday i'll never know. no sign of black terns.

mark.

Nicely done!

I'm down in Devon again (yawn!!)

Anway I found an American Golden Plover today, I could not beleive it I was amazed and chuffed with my find. So I rang it in to birdguides only to be told it had been there for four days. Oh well!

revisited thorne moor this afternoon. parked at moorend. walk takes about 45mins to get to the viewing platform which is dodgy for scopes as it is steel mezzanine. bit hazy, so i walked to the road that bisects the moor. 3-5 hobbies were hawking for insects on all points of the compass. how we missed them on sunday i'll never know. no sign of black terns.

mark.

Hi Mark,
was the road that bisects the moor near where we stopped for 'lunch'?
good work with the hobbies.
rob

Hi Mark,
was the road that bisects the moor near where we stopped for 'lunch'?
good work with the hobbies.
rob

near there. the road is the same hard core one that goes through pitts wood. from where we stopped for lunch you would have been able to see them as they were hawking over both the gull pond we walked by first and the viewing platform. may have been hard to see on sunday as most views were at distance. i just walked a bit further north till i hit the road as it was slighly higher in elevation. In fact, i decided to take a less well used trail to reach it from the platform and quickly found myself in a swamp. 20mins to walk four hundred yards plus water over the wellys twice.

mark.

Going tetrad surveyng for the first time tomorrow AM - got the Nidd Gorge - surprising no-one's bagged that or a few other choice spots? Apart from Keith, who else on the thread is doing one (or more)

Graham

Is that SE24Q - Breary Marsh, Golden Acre, Adel Dam? I had my eye on that one - wish i hadn't told you you needed a new one next year? ;) Right, change subject before someone else nicks my good ones!

Graham

Went to flamborough for the crane and black redstart but dipped on both. So went to Filey Brigg to check for birds at end of brigg. summer plumage turnstone and knot, as well as purple sand, dunlin and an intermediate plumage sanderling. 2 sandwich terns over as well.

mark.

Had a nice little trip up to Danby Beacon last night. The Dotterels were showing well - managed a few decent shots. Quite flighty at first. I thought they must be about to go, but I see they are still there today.

Ok, not the rarest of birds on the list, but I had quite a spectacular sight at lunchtime (if in a somewhat bizarre location).

I had a sparrowhawk being mobbed by a load of blackbirds whilst I was walking down Horsforth Town Street on my lunchbreak. The hawk couldn't have been more than 6 inches off the pavement & was heading straight towards me before veering off!!

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back