• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (5 Viewers)

Spurn Point
There is a planning application submitted to more than double the size of the caravan site in Kilnsea. This will mean the loss of habitat, increased urbanisation, massive visual impact in the Heritage Coast and a reduction in birding areas.
If you have a view on this I would urge all to comment via the links below, this can be done on line.
The application reference is DC/10/007850STPLFE/STRAT/HC
and can be found on http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/publicaccess comments can be e-mailed to [email protected]

This is you opertunity to try and protect good hedge rows and permenant pasture from being lost.

Andy. Forgive me for my mischievousness but will the semi-resident Spurn birders be moving their static caravans off this site as a matter of protest? ;)

www.ofpiesandbirds.blogspot.com

Managed a few evenings after work this week, Mon. and Wed. at Rother Valley Country Park and Tues. at Old Moor. Had the 2 Marsh harriers at Old Moor plus a single Tree Sparrow (so they're not extinct) and a Little Ringed Plover. Best bird though was a superb Wood Warbler at Rother Valley on Monday which hadn't even crossed my mind that I might see, making it all the more enjoyable.
Thanks all for the advice. I'll be back next week.
Phil

two amazing things happened today

no 1=

i went out into the garden to find a sparrowhawk sat on the back fence we stared at each other for a few seconds before he took off..wow

no 2=

i just found out i'm gonna be a GRANDAD and i'm over the bloomin moon

Andy. Forgive me for my mischievousness but will the semi-resident Spurn birders be moving their static caravans off this site as a matter of protest? ;)

www.ofpiesandbirds.blogspot.com

What do you think.:eek!:

On a serious note , there is no problem with the existing site it is the new site planned for perminant pasture and fantastic hedges that is the birding issue.

Cheers Keith and Ken for taking the time to look and comment.

Bird Race

I am taking my nephew on a bird hunt on Monday with the hope of seeing 100 species.
We have tried twice before (last April when we managed 94 and this January when we managed 89).
We are starting at forge valley, then Filey, Flambro, Tophill, Swinemoor then on to Spurn/Kilnsea (depending on whats about).
Could anyone advise if the mandarin ducks are still around hackness and if so where could we view them? Also is there an 'easy' spot for dipper up there?
Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Despite living in Beverley for most of my life I've never really heard of Swine Moor Common, where abouts is it? I've heard of Figham and know where it is (parents live on Beckside) but never been before. Which is the more preferable of the two? I'm hoping to get out for my first proper bird watching session next week.

Despite living in Beverley for most of my life I've never really heard of Swine Moor Common, where abouts is it?

I suppose the quickest answer is, it's were the new hospital is going to be built! TA 051 409. It's between Beverley & Tickton, and you can access it from Tickton walking south along the river Hull, cross the stile near the factory, cross the drain & walk back along the drain bank back to Tickton. You can also access it from Beverely itself, but don't know exactly where. If you have a telescope I think you can also park in the entrance to Corporation Farm & view the waders from there. It does get a few interesting waders most springs. Last year there were Ruff, a Temminck's Stint, Whimbrel, Wood Sandpiper, etc. There's a Little Owl and Yellow Wagtail & Ring Ouzels are sometimes seen - definitely worth a look, and May can be a good time there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back