• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (23 Viewers)

set off to Potteric Carr at lunch time but just couldn't face the thought of wandering around looking for a Chiffchaff with mange - so overshot and headed for hatfield moor instead.

Glad I did as had good flight viewsof 2 of the birds I missed out on at the last BF meet - brill.

Other highlights included 2 male marsh harriers at close range quartering one of the lakes and a Hobby (only noticed it when I realised the hundreds of swifts had all suddenly disappeared).

Couldn't find woodlark

pair of yellow wags on the fence on leaving.

not a reptile in sight.

Finally got lucky when I stumbled on this female Red-backed Shrike on my local patch last night. Reckon I've earnt it after 24 years! A memorable moment.

Alan Whitehead
duffbirder.blogspot.com

Well done! I remember the thrill when I got herring gull and cormorant on my local patch... I'd give my right arm for something like that! :t:

Savi's at Old Moor apparently - special viewing at 20:00 tonight. Also hoping the alby fancies bempton rather than sula sgeir or the shiants

Savi's at Old Moor apparently - special viewing at 20:00 tonight. Also hoping the alby fancies bempton rather than sula sgeir or the shiants

Present for FIFTH day apparantly! Wonder why its just being announced now - doesnt that mean it was there when the BB Sand was present? BGuides reports as only audible - has it actually been seen yet?
Interesting...

Unless some one has just come forward, then no, not present for its fifth day. It was picked up distantly on call by the assistant warden last night and then seen and heard first thing this morning by the warden. It is on the far side from Wath Ings Hide so arrangements were immediately made to open that part of the site under supervision from 8pm this evening.

About 150 turned up and I know it certainly sang and showed at least briefly.

Same arrangements will probably be put in place tomorrow evening if it is still around but watch the info services for confirmation.

Two summer plumage med gulls on the mere this evening and a couple of little egrets on wader scrape. Black tern through this morning.

M

Just got back from Seaforth and Old Moor. Lapwing showed very well but was distant through the fence at Crosby marine park. Fantastic bird! Savi's sang and sang and sang but would not show 9-10pm tonight. It was about 20 yards away, could see reeds shaking when it moved but it kept too low down for us to see. Same arrangements for tomorrow I was told so try again.

Credit to the birders at Old Moor for allowing viewing tonight. 99.9% went home without a view, including me. It wasn't for the want of trying though.

A cool night and it chose to sing low down. That's birding. The first time I've heard Savi's and Gropper singing together which was good - a real feel for how different the songs are.

Credit to the birders at Old Moor for allowing viewing tonight. 99.9% went home without a view, including me. It wasn't for the want of trying though.

A cool night and it chose to sing low down. That's birding. The first time I've heard Savi's and Gropper singing together which was good - a real feel for how different the songs are.

Very frustrating but good to hear both songs togeather.

Unless some one has just come forward, then no, not present for its fifth day. It was picked up distantly on call by the assistant warden last night and then seen and heard first thing this morning by the warden. It is on the far side from Wath Ings Hide so arrangements were immediately made to open that part of the site under supervision from 8pm this evening.

M

It actually says on BGuides that yesterday was AT LEAST its fifth day - maybe there was some doubt or heard distantly over a few days.
Not that it really matters! Good luck to those going tonight, wish I could get up for a shot at it.

Access will again be possible tonight between 8 and 10pm. Meet at the main car park for 8pm.
In addition, there will be access between 5 and 7am on Saturday morning. Again meet in the main car park for 5am.

It was still worth the drive. A Hobby over the Old Moor car park showed well, before we set off for the Savi's.

Also, the crowd was well behaved and in good spirits despite such poor/non-existent views.

I was one of the lucky ones that had a very brief view of the bird in the bottom of the hawthorn. Unfortunately I only saw it for a couple of seconds and I did not see it sing.

I will probably end up not ticking the bird, as there were other birds in the reed bed including a Reed Warbler or two.

I would be interested to know if anyone else saw the bird when it was in the reeds at the bottom left of the hawthorn (near the fence post), just before it flew back into its original area.

Access will again be possible tonight between 8 and 10pm. Meet at the main car park for 8pm.
In addition, there will be access between 5 and 7am on Saturday morning. Again meet in the main car park for 5am.

Fantastic! I can't make it myself, sadly, but it's great Old Moor always works overtime when there's a rarity about. :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back