• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax XW14 Eyepiece Question (1 Viewer)

TRT45

I have a Pentax ED65-AII and an XW14 eyepiece. I purchased the items for an upcoming Alaska birding trip. Shortly after receiving it, I lost the rear lens cover for the eyepiece. (Not long after looking at it and thinking, "I should tether that.") My first call to Pentax customer service resulted in my speaking with a gentleman who was of no help whatsoever, as he appeared to become fixated on "what model of scope is it?". Today I spoke with a woman at their Colorado customer service number, and was advised that they do not have/sell spare eyepiece lens covers, and that I should try my "local sporting goods store."

I won't bother with that, as the cover is clearly proprietary to the eyepiece and no generic equivalent is available - I think. Anyone out there know otherwise? I could machine one, which is way overkill, or make one out of cardboard and duct tape, which is just tacky. Suggestions? Thanks!

I have about three dozen eyepieces I've picked up over the years as an amateur astronomer, of all different sizes at the eye lens end. What I have done when I've lost a cover (not at the 1 1/4" end) is scrounge around and find a plastic bottle or jar top and carefully cut out the threads inside if necessary to fit. Just around our house I can easily find plastic tops from 2" diameter on down. It doesn't bother me that the tops may be red, green, or any color instead of the traditional black, as long as they fit!

Attachments

• 004s.JPG
    004s.JPG
    880 KB · Views: 142
I have a Pentax ED65-AII and an XW14 eyepiece. I purchased the items for an upcoming Alaska birding trip. Shortly after receiving it, I lost the rear lens cover for the eyepiece. (Not long after looking at it and thinking, "I should tether that.") My first call to Pentax customer service resulted in my speaking with a gentleman who was of no help whatsoever, as he appeared to become fixated on "what model of scope is it?". Today I spoke with a woman at their Colorado customer service number, and was advised that they do not have/sell spare eyepiece lens covers, and that I should try my "local sporting goods store."

I won't bother with that, as the cover is clearly proprietary to the eyepiece and no generic equivalent is available - I think. Anyone out there know otherwise? I could machine one, which is way overkill, or make one out of cardboard and duct tape, which is just tacky. Suggestions? Thanks!

I can help you get a nice plastic tube, designed as an eyepiece or dust cover, for astronomical eyepieces. I will give you their address, if you are interested. The cover screws down into the tube, so they are very secure. I have several.

Perfect - just the inspiration I was looking for. Within minutes I found a lid from a bouillon jar that will work fine, it just needs a bit of shimming. Thanks!

There are other eyepieces with the vulcano shape ,you could try one of them for replacement..take a look to agena astro,they sell a starguider ED eyepiece with that shape..i am sure they can help you...

Last edited:
Dear All:

I use the spent plastic containers used for apple relish sold in most supermarkets. They are labeled "1/2 cup - 4 oz - 118 ml" on the bottom, and they are manufactured by Glad.

They fit both my XW 20 and XW 14 lenses perfectly, and I always keep them on the lenses when I am not using them.

I have never lost one, even in windy conditions, but it would be wise to puncture a hole in one and run a string that you can loop around the lens collar on the scope to keep it secure.

I hope this helps.

Frank, I see the above is your first post, so welcome to Birdforum Spotting Scopes! I don't post often myself, but think you'll find there are a lot of knowledgeable folks with good information here.

I tried to find the apple relish containers you referenced in our local supermarket, but was unsuccessful. There were some empty Glad "Mini Round" containers for food storage that had "1/2 Cup 4 oz-118 ml" on the bottom along with the word GLAD, but these were sold as container only, with lid. I tried them and they do not fit Pentax XW's snugly enough that they will stay on when the eyepiece is inverted. Your "apple relish" ones must be a bit smaller diameter at the mouth. Could you please post the brand name of the apple relish you found so we'll be able to ask at the store for that particular item?
Thanks very much. - Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back