• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen-Ray Prime HD scope (1 Viewer)

Body color looks different.

;)

Asphetic lens to provide flat field with Edge-to-edge sharpness

I didn't notice that part in the previous description.

Without even reading a comparison of the descriptions between both scopes my assumption, based on the name change, would be that the Prime HD version would have a flat field with edge to edge sharpness. That would mean a redesign of the eyepiece. Since the Prime HD version is shown with the 25-50x wide angle zoom then maybe Zen Ray redesigned the wide angle zoom to include a field flattening element.

The price on the 25-50 didn't change which would be a surprise if the new Prime HD's zoom was redesigned.

I have heard nothing on the scope but then I haven't emailed Charles in some time. I was planning on it though as they are set to introduce the 8x32 ZRS fairly soon.

Maybe Steve C has some info.

Maybe another April 1st release?

Edit: sorry it was the same url as in previous thread...camera land seems to be the only one who displays it, I have checked several of the recommended dealers on ZR home page...

Last edited:
The 25-50x eyepiece had considerable barrel distortion (which I don't think the 20-60x had, being a Swaro clone) so maybe that's why it's mentioned in the one but not the other? Perhaps they addressed that issue on the 25-50x eyepiece only.

I've been using the ZR Prime spotter for the past month with the 25-50x wide eyepiece. I've never used the ED2 so have nothing to compare it to. I like the ergonomics, color rendering, resolution, wide FOV. I can confirm the barrel distortion and rolling ball when panning (at least in the one I have). Is this the price to pay for having a wide fov?

j,

Rolling ball is basically the result of trying to achieve edge to edge sharpness in the image without adding any pincushion distortion to compensate for it. You can easily have a wide field of view without rolling ball but typically the image either has pincushion distortion added or there is some type of distortion/aberration/astigmatism at the edges of the image.

Eitan,

Here is a thought. Maybe nothing changed about the 25-50x82 version of the ED2 except the name. Basically the Prime HD binoculars are sharp edge to edge (in the grand scheme of things). From what I remember of the 25-50x eyepiece it was also sharp from edge to edge but had that barrel distortion. Maybe they chose to rename the 25-50x82 version of their spotter from ED2 to Prime HD in order to reflect the difference in performance between the 25-50x and 20-60x eyepieces. Just at thought. I am going to have to email Charles and ask him to chime in for clarification on the issue.

Last edited:
Since the Prime HD version is shown with the 25-50x wide angle zoom then maybe Zen Ray redesigned the wide angle zoom to include a field flattening element.

That theory doesn't work out because (1) there is also a Prime HD version with the 20-60x zoom eyepiece (see link in post #3) and (2) jragsdale confirmed that the 25-50x still has barrel distortion in the "Prime" version.

My bet is it's just a simple rebranding / color change with (hopefully) better quality control and no change in the basic optical system.

We finally released the newer PRIME HD spotting scopes. They are on the website now. The main optical system of the body is identical to original ZEN ED2 system. However, we have made several sigificant changes with the new spotter

1) The 25-50x kit with aspheric lens in the eyepiece available.
2) Cyrstalview (Hydrophobic coating) is standard on the eyepiece
3) Change the orientation of the tripod foot 90 degree to make it compatible with widely available Manfrotto 128RC tripod head
4) 2nd generation Dielectric coating as used our PRIME HD binoculars
5) The rugged looking exposed Magnesium body now has a newer, smoother finish. It feels like velvet or suede it if I try my best to describe it.
Of course, individual star testing of every unit is by default per our standard.

Out of numerous other quality improvements with the new spotter, what I am most proud of is the new 25-50x PRIME HD kit.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/spottingscopes/primehd-spotter-2550.html

Thank you

Charles

Michelle,

May I respectfully ask where you came up with the $300 figure from?

The reason I ask is because the original ED2 with the 20-60 zoom was around $1100 if memory serves me. The ED2 with the 25-50x zoom was around $1300-$1350. The new Prime HD 25-50x82 is the same price as the ED2 was with the 25-50x zoom.

...or were you referring to the price difference between the ED2 at Cameralandny and the newer Prime HD..both with the 20-60 zoom?

We finally released the newer PRIME HD spotting scopes. They are on the website now. The main optical system of the body is identical to original ZEN ED2 system. However, we have made several sigificant changes with the new spotter

1) The 25-50x kit with aspheric lens in the eyepiece available.
2) Cyrstalview (Hydrophobic coating) is standard on the eyepiece
3) Change the orientation of the tripod foot 90 degree to make it compatible with widely available Manfrotto 128RC tripod head
4) 2nd generation Dielectric coating as used our PRIME HD binoculars
5) The rugged looking exposed Magnesium body now has a newer, smoother finish. It feels like velvet or suede it if I try my best to describe it.
Of course, individual star testing of every unit is by default per our standard.

Out of numerous other quality improvements with the new spotter, what I am most proud of is the new 25-50x PRIME HD kit.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/spottingscopes/primehd-spotter-2550.html

Thank you

Charles

Thanks for the info Charles :)

A couple of these changes are welcome. Does the aspheric lens element in the 25-50x eyepiece reduce the level of barrel distortion? This was the one thing that really bothered me about this kit as it created a major "funhouse mirror" effect when panning (e.g. scanning shorebird flocks).

The tripod foot orientation change is great. It was always a bummer that the scope was designed to be the same shape as my manfrotto QR plate, but it was 90 degrees off from where I needed it! :p

Just to be clear, is the 20-60x eyepiece changed at all (besides the addition of the hydrophobic coating)? Or is it just the 25-50x wide zoom that received an optical update?

Thanks for the info Charles :)

A couple of these changes are welcome. Does the aspheric lens element in the 25-50x eyepiece reduce the level of barrel distortion? This was the one thing that really bothered me about this kit as it created a major "funhouse mirror" effect when panning (e.g. scanning shorebird flocks).

The tripod foot orientation change is great. It was always a bummer that the scope was designed to be the same shape as my manfrotto QR plate, but it was 90 degrees off from where I needed it! :p

Just to be clear, is the 20-60x eyepiece changed at all (besides the addition of the hydrophobic coating)? Or is it just the 25-50x wide zoom that received an optical update?

You are welcome.

The 25-50x actually does not have barrel distortion. Because of its flat field (with aspheric lens) nature, there might be a small amount of RB effect because there is only a small amount of pincushion. I have been using them for over a couple of months. Although I don't pan the scope very often, I hardly notice much RB when I do.

Yes, you are correct, the only change on 20-60x is water repellant coating. It also has serial number inscribed to help better quality control.

Charles

Hello Charles,

The New Prime HD 25-50x Eyepiece

I am still trying to understand specifically what the differences are between the new Prime HD 25-50x eyepiece and the older ED2 25-50x eyepiece.

1) The new Prime HD 25-50x eyepiece now has a serial number?
2) The new Prime HD 25-50x eyepiece has an updated water repellant coating?
3) the New Prime HD 25-50x eye piece uses aspheric lens whereas the older ED2 25-50x eyepiece did not?
4) The older ED2 25-50x eyepiece exhibited barrel distortion whereas the new Prime HD 25-50x eyepiece has a slight amount of pin cushion?

From a couple of years ago discussing the older ED2 eyepiece ....
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2169512&postcount=21

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2169534&postcount=22

5) Are there any other differences?

Optical Properties of the New Prime HD Spotting Scope Body

1) The new body has second generation dielectric prism coatings where as the older ED2 body had 1st generation dielectric prism coatings?
2) The new Prime HD body has updated water repellant coatings?
3) Are there any other optical differences?

Kit Differences between the 25-50x Prime HD kit and the 20-60x Prime HD kit

I noticed there is a $100 difference between the price of the Prime HD 25-50x eyepiece and the Prime HD 20-60x eyepiece ($450 vs $350), yet there is a $150 difference in the price of the two kits ($1,299 vs $1,149 after $200 coupon code). Are there any other differences beside the eyepieces in the two kits that accounts for the additional $50?

I appreciate the additional info as I try to decide between the close out of the older ED2 20-60x at $870 or the additonal $430 for the Prime HD at $1,300.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Michelle,

May I respectfully ask where you came up with the $300 figure from?

Hi, Frank. I must have looked at ZR's webpage wrong this morning...was kind of in a rush. It looks like $150 difference. The ED2 is $1199 and the PrimeHD $1349.

Either way, I will follow along with this discussion. Thanks for pointing out that I can't add or subtract. 3:)

Charles, will you be at the Biggest Week this year? Any plans for shows? Midwest Birding Symposium again?

Also, will you be doing a closeout on your site on the ED2?

Last edited:
Hi, Frank. I must have looked at ZR's webpage wrong this morning...was kind of in a rush. It looks like $150 difference. The ED2 is $1199 and the PrimeHD $1349.

Either way, I will follow along with this discussion. Thanks for pointing out that I can't add or subtract. 3:)

Charles, will you be at the Biggest Week this year? Any plans for shows? Midwest Birding Symposium again?

Also, will you be doing a closeout on your site on the ED2?

Hi Michelle, yes, we will be at MBS this year. Cannot believe how fast 2 years just went by.

We are out of ZEN ED2 spotter now.

Charles

Bruce, please see my answer below

I am still trying to understand specifically what the differences are between the new Prime HD 25-50x eyepiece and the older ED2 25-50x eyepiece.

1) The new Prime HD 25-50x eyepiece now has a serial number?
2) The new Prime HD 25-50x eyepiece has an updated water repellant coating?

Yes for #1 and #2

3) the New Prime HD 25-50x eye piece uses aspheric lens whereas the older ED2 25-50x eyepiece did not?

Actually older ED2 25-50x has aspheric lens too. But since it is a project that needs constant tweaking. We didn't really promote that product until the design and manufacturing of 25-50x becomes matured for the PRIME HD version.

4) The older ED2 25-50x eyepiece exhibited barrel distortion whereas the new Prime HD 25-50x eyepiece has a slight amount of pin cushion?

Neither has barrel distortion. But PRIME 25-50x has slightly more pincushion than older 25-50x EP. So the rolling ball effect is less. As I mentioned in another post, panning spotter is much less frequent than panning your binoculars. I believe either eyepiece will serve you well.
5) Are there any other differences?

You summed it very well. :)

Optical Properties of the New Prime HD Spotting Scope Body

1) The new body has second generation dielectric prism coatings where as the older ED2 body had 1st generation dielectric prism coatings?
2) The new Prime HD body has updated water repellant coatings?
3) Are there any other optical differences?

Yes to #1 and #2
#3: optically, they are similar. But we have tightened the spec on how some of the critical lenses are made to yield an overall better system

Kit Differences between the 25-50x Prime HD kit and the 20-60x Prime HD kit

I noticed there is a $100 difference between the price of the Prime HD 25-50x eyepiece and the Prime HD 20-60x eyepiece ($450 vs $350), yet there is a $150 difference in the price of the two kits ($1,299 vs $1,149 after $200 coupon code). Are there any other differences beside the eyepieces in the two kits that accounts for the additional $50?

I appreciate the additional info as I try to decide between the close out of the older ED2 20-60x at $870 or the additonal $430 for the Prime HD at $1,300.

Thanks.

We substantially lowered the 25-50x eyepiece to make it affordable to people who already own our 20-60x spotter kit.

The close out ED2 is 20-60x, so the new PRIME HD equivalent is $1149. The difference is about $280.

Thanks

Charles

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back