• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (53 Viewers)

Hi Phil,

The Birds of Norfolk (Moss Taylor et al) mentions several nesting records for Norfolk including two attempts on Blakeney Point in '83, Hickling in '78 and Salthouse in '77 while a pair was in the Cley/Salthouse area from April to June '75.

With the only Worcs record at Bittell in July 1940 it would great to have a repeat performance but I don't hold out much hope given how much scarcer they have become since the '70s and '80s let alone the '40s.

Brian

Interesting that none of those made it into the RBBP report ....

Re: KP - i suppose it depends on how much of a pedant one is? 'attempted breeding' could be any activity from nesting to egg-laying and then 'breeding' could be the hatching of young to the fledging. The '83 record from Moss Taylor (who ran a local ringing site) would be the one. An enquiry to the Castle Museum @ Norwich could be interesting, are the eggs on show, stored or what? The record and details should have been included in the relevant RBBP report, imo, but perhaps i was cursed not to have my name included in any Norfolk records? At least i was fortunate enough to have the place to myself for 2 Summers and still have a charcoal drawing of Bean Geese in the distinctive style of Richard (RAR) Richardson which will grace my narrowboat - one day!

Far from attacting birds i have always been troubled by the fact that we might have scared the birds off altho we only made a couple of visits adjacent to the roped-off areas to ascertain whether the female was sitting, which she was, and one visit to check for eggs when the birds had'nt been seen for a while. This is why i take a very dim view of un-warranted viewing, nest-searching and handling of birds whether it be common breeders, migrants or rarities for 'ringing' purposes but that's just me;)

We did not bother putting any news out but if birders coming up spotted a KP then it would make the log book @ Nancy's. When we retrieved the eggs i just put a cryptic note in the logbook - KP AT BP AM OK as i had seen a male earlier on that day................I would love to have a perusal of those books again they should be at the museum as well:eek!:

With regard to a FACEBOOK page - altho well-intentioned i agree with Phil in that everything UW (and a bit beyond) is already on this site, most birders that i personally know do not use FB for bird info as this purpose is well-served on the relevant forums. The observers finding and identifying the bulk of the stuff @ UW use and post here and i do not think it needs re-telling on a site that is more about 'social networking', flaming and gossip.

And i do'nt even visit the place;)

ATB Laurie:t:

Water levels at the Flashes

At this time of year the levels are critical. If its too high then nests could be flooded, if too low then we could have problems later in the year.
Ideally we are looking at between 0.44 and 0.46 at this time. This is shallow enough for the wader chicks to feed in. The level is also high enough to ensure that the islands are what they are - 'islands'. Ideally for passage waders the water could be lower, exposing more muddy margins. But in a warm year the mud would dry rapidly and render it ineffective in a short period. The priority at the end of May is for chick rearing, as most of the spring wader passage is now over. Any late arrivals, as yesterday's - sanderling and ringed plovers, fed around the 'shingle islets'.
Yesterdays continuous rain, raised the level by 3 to 4cm in the 11 hours I was there, up from 0.44 to 0.48, I opened the sluice to allow more run off. This morning Des noted the level at 0.45 which is perfect. So please be assured that we are closely monitoring the levels at all times and it is not on an ad hoc basis.
In 2011 on this date, the level was at 0.35 and we all remember what happened later that year - the 2nd Flash dried out completely by mid August.

I have attached the water level 'easy view' guide. This was produced many years ago and is still the 'definitive' article today.
B :)john

Attachments

• Flashes depth marker.jpg
    Flashes depth marker.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Re: KP .......................................................................................................................................... This is why i take a very dim view of un-warranted viewing, nest-searching and handling of birds whether it be common breeders, migrants or rarities for 'ringing' purposes but that's just me;)

I don't think it's just you who takes a dim view of those activities - a resounding 'me too'. With respect to ringing, however - I think we must all accept that it has its place - e.g. at designated observatories and has provided much invaluable data on bird migration and movements over the years but at places like UW I'm only comfortable with it taking place outside the breeding season . Maybe new techniques, like satellite tracking etc, will render some ringing studies less necessary in future. I certainly hope so.

After careful consideration and a few pm's I have taken the view that a face book page is NOT required as the local birding site Worcester Birding will still be reporting local rarer birds

I would like to thank ALL for their speedy replies

After careful consideration and a few pm's I have taken the view that a face book page is NOT required as the local birding site Worcester Birding will still be reporting local rarer birds

Hi Adrian
just keep your Thursday report coming and try and encourage more people to add their sightings/photos/ comments. A lot of positivity has come from this forum, to help Upton become a better more enjoyable place. Ultimately I would want everyone to love the place, but realise that wont happen, so lets just make it as good and as interesting as we can.
B :)john

Adrian - agree with John, yr annotated Thursday list is detailed and informative - on a day, for whatever reason few others are able to participate.

Keep 'em coming:t:

Laurie:t:

Good move Adrian - you still doing the Twitter account? Not sure it's worth carrying on with it, but up to you :t:

Love the Image of the Cetti! If I was (just a tip) Maybe clone the red tag of on his foot :) + Overall great sharp image! :t:

Jo, don't know which photo of the cettis warbler you are referring to. But with respect, at the end of the day this is a forum for showing the photos of birds at upton, its not a photographic competition . I think seeing the birds in action and exactly how they look in the field,, is far better than doctoring them. If you see my pictures then you will know what I mean8-P
B :)John

Last edited:
Jo, don't know which photo of the cettis warbler you are referring to. But with respect, at the end of the day this is a forum for showing the photos of birds at upton, its not a photographic competition . I think seeing the birds in action and exactly how they look in the field,, is far better than doctoring them. If you see my pictures then will know what I mean8-P
B :)John

Fair point John was just offering a tip to maybe help ;) Are stick to the bird chat not the Critique 8-P

@Gertatron I still update the twitter account with the rarer news from the reserve when I have been able to source the information but have considered closing the account and sticking with this forum as it is very well supported by all that use the reserve.

Lepidoptera Today

Several butterflies: Small Copper, Brimstone, Large and Small Whites and Green Veined White and several moths evident today on the reserve during a brief spell of sunshine this afternoon: 6 Ericrania subpurpurella (worn), 385 Nettle Tap 3, 1738 Common Carpet 2, 1776 Green Carpet 1 and 2069 The Cinnabar 3 (on the heathland). There was also a Beautiful Demoiselle.

6 Ericrania subpurpurella.jpg 385 Nettle Tap.jpg 1776 Green Carpet.jpg 2069 The Cinnabar.jpg
Beautiful Demoiselle.jpg

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Water level this morning 0.45 and 0.45 this evening.
Avocet (25) + 4:4:3:3:3:3:2 chicks
LRP (6)----------------Oystercatcher (4)
Shelduck (9)-----------Gadwall (2m)
Tufted Duck (15)-------Mute Swan (2)
Kestrel-----------------Whitethroat
Garden Warbler---------Common Gull (1st S)
Little Owl reported at Hobden Hall Farm

MOORS:
Oystercatcher (3) + 1:3 chicks
Lapwing (2)------------Shelduck (1) not from the Flashes.
Little Grebe (1) +chick--Cormorant (1)
G C Grebe (8) + 1:3 chicks
Tufted Duck (14)-------Mute Swan (2) + 5 chicks
Whitethroat (2)--------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Common Tern (7)-------L B B Gull (3) finding the B H Gull chicks very tasty!

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back