• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Hope I'm not being paranoid here but a funny thing happened on the way home from the reserve yesterday evening. I drove down Swan Lane and over the motorway bridge and passed a guy standing outside a white van looking through a pair of binoculars at the trees. I drove on but turned back thinking he might have picked something up that was interesting. As I was driving back I saw him jog across the road into his van. As you do I stopped and asked him if he'd seen anything interesting to which he replied "No I'm just having a good day". Fair enough I thought, it takes all sorts and all that.... Just now the incident came back to me and there was something about him that I thought I recognised. Someone put up an image of a convicted egg thief a while back and he did bear more than a passing resemblance. Here's the image of the guy - http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/crime-courts/egg-thief-first-to-get-nesting-season-asbo.16854028. Like I say, sorry if I'm being paranoid and if this was anyone on here my sincere apologies!
Mike

this forum is getting more like facebook everyday . :eek!:

My apologies, not someone I recognised! Sorry again

Mike

Paul is our 'secret shopper' he is there to keep us vigilant:-O. On sunday, 4 menacing looking youths appeared in the Moors car park, having just got out of two 'boy racer' cars. They then proceeded to walk up the west Moors track. I was in the North Moors at the time, so they couldn't see me.
Immediately I took a photo of them (from a distance) and also photos of their cars including registration plates. Then texted Dave and crofty with their details, just in case, it 'got on top'. I then confronted them in a nice way:smoke:, with my 'ZULU' hat on just in case (if you know what I mean;),and explained they needed permits. What appeared to be a dodgy situation turned out to be no big deal, they left with smiles, even waving to me (and not with 2 fingers either8-P.
My point is, be be vigilant, take car registrations and photos if safe to do so, BUT don't put yourself at risk. I often hear people say they saw a dodgy character in a red car, etc etc, but didn't get the registration:eek!:
The reserve is all of ours , so just keep your eyes peeled if you can, treat it like its your own garden and act accordingly. But try not to be too paranoid
B :)john

Hope I'm not being paranoid here but a funny thing happened on the way home from the reserve yesterday evening. I drove down Swan Lane and over the motorway bridge and passed a guy standing outside a white van looking through a pair of binoculars at the trees. I drove on but turned back thinking he might have picked something up that was interesting. As I was driving back I saw him jog across the road into his van. As you do I stopped and asked him if he'd seen anything interesting to which he replied "No I'm just having a good day". Fair enough I thought, it takes all sorts and all that.... Just now the incident came back to me and there was something about him that I thought I recognised. Someone put up an image of a convicted egg thief a while back and he did bear more than a passing resemblance. Here's the image of the guy - http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/crime-courts/egg-thief-first-to-get-nesting-season-asbo.16854028. Like I say, sorry if I'm being paranoid and if this was anyone on here my sincere apologies!

Mike
Nice one Mike
Better being safe than sorry, especially at this time of year:t:.
what was the registration Mike8-P:-O
B :)John
ps Paul isn't as ugly as that Tw** in the picture though,

Paul is our 'secret shopper' he is there to keep us vigilant:-O. On sunday, 4 menacing looking youths appeared in the Moors car park, having just got out of two 'boy racer' cars. They then proceeded to walk up the west Moors track. I was in the North Moors at the time, so they couldn't see me.
Immediately I took a photo of them (from a distance) and also photos of their cars including registration plates. Then texted Dave and crofty with their details, just in case, it 'got on top'. I then confronted them in a nice way:smoke:, with my 'ZULU' hat on just in case (if you know what I mean;),and explained they needed permits. What appeared to be a dodgy situation turned out to be no big deal, they left with smiles, even waving to me (and not with 2 fingers either8-P.
My point is, be be vigilant, take car registrations and photos if safe to do so, BUT don't put yourself at risk. I often hear people say they saw a dodgy character in a red car, etc etc, but didn't get the registration:eek!:
The reserve is all of ours , so just keep your eyes peeled if you can, treat it like its your own garden and act accordingly. But try not to be too paranoid
B :)john

Well handled John, but why were 4 youths walking up the west track with no binoculars?

Des.

Sounds like they knew their way around.
I wonder if they could have been encouraged to join in.....I have met youths before who are all noise and attitude and when you get talking to them and even show them some pics on the camera they get all interested.
But also it does help to be careful........

Keith :t:

Sounds like they knew their way around.
I wonder if they could have been encouraged to join in.....I have met youths before who are all noise and attitude and when you get talking to them and even show them some pics on the camera they get all interested.
But also it does help to be careful........

Keith :t:

Keith
somehow Idon't think so8-P
but then again i came from this 'stock'
here are some of my mates Birmingham Zulus:t:

Attachments

• DSCF7154 (2).JPG
    DSCF7154 (2).JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 186
  • zulus.jpg
    zulus.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Nice one Mike
Better being safe than sorry, especially at this time of year:t:.
what was the registration Mike8-P:-O
B :)John
ps Paul isn't as ugly as that Tw** in the picture though,

Ha! Sorry about that, and sorry Paul for the misidentification! I'm not generally so paranoid to be honest with you. I'll remain vigilant but next time try not to get it sooo wrong! Hope that's all OK. Guess paul probably thought the same of me as in 'who's that t**t asking me if I've seen any birds'. Guess I look a bit shifty in the wrong light (or indeed any light).

Mike

had a stroll upto the east hide when i heard the explosive sound of the Cetti`s warbler male looked down and there he was click went the camera, yes got me a Cetti`s on our turf for the first time:t:

Attachments

• cetti`s male uw_3914.jpg
    cetti`s male uw_3914.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 165
I still havent received any formal confirmation that our wing-tagged Marsh Harrier is from the Tay Estuary scheme. However I have been alerted by the schemes in the Low Countries of a bird with a similar tag which was photographed in recent days at Spurn: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spurn.../pages/Spurn-Bird-Observatory/201601189880071

If anyone has any contacts at Spurn (Israel / Chris T?) can they ask the obs what they find out about the tagging scheme.

The male Cetti's do seem to be very confiding at the moment; attached is a photo I took with my p1ss poor phone camera on Sunday.

Attachments

• Cettis.jpg
    Cettis.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Cettis W zoom.jpg
    Cettis W zoom.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 106
I'm sure we will get a fuller rundown later but Dave J reported single Yellow Wags at the Flashes and Moors this morning, a Common Tern briefly at the Moors and Lesser Whitethroat at both the Flashes and the Moors. This evening Gary had a Coal Tit on the feeders from the West Hide at the Moors Pool.

I also understand the 5 Blackwits were still present. Assuming they were part of the flock of 69 this is now their 12th day.

Last edited:
Ha! Sorry about that, and sorry Paul for the misidentification! I'm not generally so paranoid to be honest with you. I'll remain vigilant but next time try not to get it sooo wrong! Hope that's all OK. Guess paul probably thought the same of me as in 'who's that t**t asking me if I've seen any birds'. Guess I look a bit shifty in the wrong light (or indeed any light).

Mike

No harm done MikeB :)john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back