• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leaving binoculars in a hot car...can some take it? (1 Viewer)

Thanks again Bruce for your informative post. This part of Montana right now looks like Ireland. A cool spring with soaking rains has everything lush. But the expression here is "two weeks", which means that in 14 days all the foliage can dry out and the fire season will begin. Many of our national forests are so dense with timber that catastrophic fires are a reality every summer. I believe they put huge amounts of CO 2 in the atmosphere which has to be a major contributor to global warming. But I'm no scientist.

I didn't realize the road runner was an omnivore. Just as I didn't believe that coyotes could catch healthy antelope, but several falls ago, I witnessed four coyotes working a herd of antelope in a valley below me, and they managed to bring one down. The crows and magpies really compete with other birds at my feeders, which this year has shown a drop in the number of species coming to feed. That concerns me, but it may be part of a cycle.

I visited your area (Vail) two winters ago and liked the country, particularly around Nogales. but I did manage to come down with the dessert crud (bronchitis) which was miserable. Too many people in lower Arizona for me. Enjoy your birding.
John

. Hi perterra,
. When I was in my 30s I had no trouble running around quite fast in temperatures of 108°F when on holiday.
Now I suffer here when it is in the 90s.

I hope that I can quote from two paragraphs from the 2002 edition of the Rough Guide to Weather.

'A sustained heatwave can cause a spike of up to 100% in death rates, especially when the average temperature spends more than a couple of days above a threshold value that seems to vary from place to place. The threshold effect is muted in regions such as the US South, where people are accustomed to serious heat, and their homes and offices - even when modest - are typically well ventilated. The mortality spikes the sharpest in northern cities, where heat absorbing buildings are packed closely together and home air conditioning is less common. Over 500 Chicagoans died in a 1995 heatwave, many of them elderly who kept windows closed, to foil crime, and air conditioners (if they had any) off, to save money.

Heatwaves are one of the biggest threats in scenarios of future global warming. Dangerous bouts of heat may spread poleward to places that have been spared up to now. One study showed that heat related deaths could rise more than sevenfold globally by the year 2050 if temperatures climb as computer models predict they will'.

I was surprised to note that every state in the mainland USA has maximum temperatures in excess of 100°F, which is the maximum recorded in the United Kingdom, or actually 100.5°F here.

Hawaii reached 100°F, so is equal to the United Kingdom.

We in the United Kingdom have a rather easy time of it, regarding weather. It neither gets excessively cold nor excessively hot, although we do have a lot of weather because we are an island or islands.

I agree that's when money comes into the equation, it is very difficult to avoid questions of pollution and global warming. I think that I read that if everybody on our planet had a standard of living equal to those of some Western countries, we would need 10 planets to provide the resources.
I am also personally guilty of excess consumption and use of resources, as are most of us in the West.

As to the year 2050, that won't be of concern to me, but I wonder how our children and grandchildren are going to cope.

I think that binoculars can cope with excessive heat a lot better than the users.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back