• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Granite,which model? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Hello,
I'm looking for a small and lightweight binocular, and I like the line Celestron Granite ..
I have focused on two models that I think they have a lightweight ... 9X33 and 7X33.
In his opinion there is much difference between the two models?
The 9x33 weighs 680 grams
The 7X33 weighs 550 grams.
There is much difference or appreciable difference between 7X and 9X?
What opinion do you have?
It seems that it is usual 10X or 8X, right?
I think there would be fewer vibrations with 7X model, but my big question is whether with 7X to have enough power to identify birds or I'll stay a little lacking ...
regards
wachi

Wachi,

A couple of years ago I managed to spend some time comparing the Granite ED 7x33 to my Opticron Classic 7x36. I'd expected that the ED glass and the 159m vs. 126m view would give the Celestron a clear advantage over Opticron, but overall I was rather disappointed. The positive points were that the Celestron had a slight more neutral colour balance and was very slightly lighter (601g vs. 623g). In spite of having the wider view and less field curvature than the Opticron I actually found the sweet spot smaller due to high levels of astigmatism at the edges. There were also relatively high levels of stray light reducing contrast and the effective resolution I found disappointing, though I guess I'm difficult to please on this point. I rather liked the Granite ED 12x50 though. While is shared some of the same issues as the 7x33 the centre sharpness was good and it was unusually steady for a 12x in my hands.

In a surprisingly honest discussion with the Celestron representative he agreed with me that he found the much cheaper Celestron Trailseeker 8x32 more rewarding than the Granite ED 7x33. I'm still happy with my Opticron

David

Last edited:
Wachi,

I find it remarkable with such a big weight difference between 7x and 9x option in the same series and aperture size. If the numbers are correct I guess that these two models use completely different eyepiece design. That because usually higher powered models use to be lighter weight: higher magnification=shorter focal length eyepiece=smaller lenses=lighter weight. Anyway; 130g is very big weight difference, even if it had been the other way around.

Apart from that: I find a 7x33 with 9,1deg FOV attractive. The stated eye relief is only 15mm though...

Last edited:
Wachi,

I'd agree with typo. While the 7 x 33 Granite ED's are decent (I've tried them), you'll find the Trailseeker models considerably better. The 8 x 42 Trailseeker with it's very expansive FOV is a phenomenal value for the price, though it does weigh a couple more ounces than the Granite ED models you were looking at. If weight is a priority I'd recommend the 8 x 32 Trailseeker.

wachipilotes, I just tested the Celestron Granite 7x33. The sweet spot is very small, and the degradation in image quality towards as edge of the field of view is extreme. It is extremely distracting. I cannot recommend this binocular for anyone, unless the price was well under $100. There are much, much better choices out there.

Based on the 7x33, I would stay away from the 9x33 variant too.

Last edited:
I recently posted a comparison thread between the 9x33 Celestron Granite and the Pentax 9x32 DCF here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=306557

The Granites were the clear winner optically. In fact, they are the best optical performance/dollar ratio I have seen, with the Blue Sky's being a tie or close second.

After buying these 9x33 Granites and using them for a few days now in the field, I'm not sure why more great things are not written about them. They are very, very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back