• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss vs Opticron compacts & where to buy in UK (1 Viewer)

vkalia

Robin stroker
I have someone coming over next month from the UK, and want to get a pair of compact (8-10power, 25-28mag) binos.

Was looking at the
(1) Zeiss BGAT PQRSTUV 10x25s or whatever the heck it is that they are called (not the Victory series, but the ones a bit cheaper than that)
(2) Opticron DBA Oasis
(3) Opticron BGA T PC (seriously.. who in marketing thought that this is a good way to name the models??)

2 questions:
1/ Anyone compared the Opticrons to the Zeiss bins or have any comments on how they compare?
2/ Anyone know of a relatively cheap source in the UK? It hurts me to see those prices and compare them to the US prices - but as I am traveling for a while, I cannot deal with the customs and paperwork involved with mail ordering directly to my home. So a UK purchase it has to be.

Am ok with used as well, actually. These binos are going to get some rough usage, so second hand will actually be better. If you are selling a pair....

Cheers,
Vandit

I have someone coming over next month from the UK, and want to get a pair of compact (8-10power, 25-28mag) binos.

Was looking at the
(1) Zeiss BGAT PQRSTUV 10x25s or whatever the heck it is that they are called (not the Victory series, but the ones a bit cheaper than that)
(2) Opticron DBA Oasis
(3) Opticron BGA T PC (seriously.. who in marketing thought that this is a good way to name the models??)

2 questions:
1/ Anyone compared the Opticrons to the Zeiss bins or have any comments on how they compare?
2/ Anyone know of a relatively cheap source in the UK? It hurts me to see those prices and compare them to the US prices - but as I am traveling for a while, I cannot deal with the customs and paperwork involved with mail ordering directly to my home. So a UK purchase it has to be.

Am ok with used as well, actually. These binos are going to get some rough usage, so second hand will actually be better. If you are selling a pair....

Cheers,
Vandit
Not sure from your post what size bins you want. However If you are looking for 8x25 I have just bought the Opticron taiga and am amazed. Check them out and only £59.99 from cameraworld.

BB, I did end up buying the Taiga 8x25s.

I.. umm... also ended up buying Vortex Fury 8x28s and Zeis 8x30s (and Vortex 8x32s, but those are for the wife!). Will test them and decide what to keep and what to sell.

Vandit

BB, I did end up buying the Taiga 8x25s.

I.. umm... also ended up buying Vortex Fury 8x28s and Zeis 8x30s (and Vortex 8x32s, but those are for the wife!). Will test them and decide what to keep and what to sell.

Vandit

Glad to have been of help. Do let me know what you end up with. Am sure some of my friends having seen mine will be after some compact bins themselves.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back