• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simple question... (1 Viewer)

cnick6

If you could have just ONE binocular with you to CARRY full-time throughout the day for the rest of your life... regardless of which activity you end up doing, which would it be?

No cheating here -- just name ONE binocular model. Feel free to state your reasons why but please keep it pithy. It does NOT have to be a binocular you currently own. It does have to be something that exists -- no future designs!

Also think about something you'd have to lug with you around the neck or in a bag... those 10x42 alphas can get might heavy!

Okay I'll go first...

Wow this is tough. I'm tempted to say a Leica UVHD+ model but I think I could be fine with my Vortex Razor HD 12x50s. I can use them for land, astronomy, marine and even birding -- at least for another 10 years or so. :)

Swarovski Habicht 8x30.

If I was stuck on a desert island I'd take the armoured military IF version of the 8x30...or probably the armoured 10x40 Habicht.

ONE binocular with you to CARRY full-time throughout the day for the rest of your life... regardless of which activity you end up doing

You're dreaming up new ideas for penalisations? What wrong did you do that you choose 12x50 for life yourself?

There is no such thing as a simple question. But in the spirit of cooperation I'll identify one model. Zeiss 8x30 IF Safari. Why? It has good optics, is waterproof, almost bullet proof, unbelievably tough, and handy. It of course is a compromise like most anything which is man made.

Swarovski EL SV 8X32

(I'd really rather have a 10X, but if I have no access to anything else, I'd want the larger exit pupil of the 8X.)

If it's going to last me the rest of my life, which could be another 25 years if I'm lucky, longer if they come out with genetically engineered replacement organs, it can't be my usual favorites - SEs and EIIs -- because they are not sealed and crappola is bound to get in and muck things up, and there won't be any replacement parts in 2040 (although with 3-D printers, who knows?). Can't be a Chinbin either, those will self-destruct long before then, and the companies making them will be history.

So I'm going in the same direction as John, an IF EP bin, because it would need to be "waterproof, almost bullet proof, and unbelievably tough." I wouldn't pick the Safari, though, because I don't think it's phase coated and my aging eyes will need all the help they can get.

Plus, my hands are bound to get shakier as I get older, a benign tremor runs in my family. So that means I've got to use lower magnification.

My pick: Fujinon 6x30 FMTR-SX. Sharpest bin I've owned with incredible depth of field and super 3-D effect, and it has a wide 8.5* FOV. Of course, you pay for those WF oversized prisms and mil spec with a 30 oz. weight. So not that "handy," but it otherwise fits the bill. Now I just have to find a pair and put them in the closet for my old age.

Brock

8x32 Swaro SV

Reason- I think it is the best blend of weight; size and usefulness to be a great all around binocular to carry around for the rest of your life. It has the right power; exit pupil and weight compromise to be an all around performer. It is the best- (all of the above things considered), overall binocular that I have used or owned.

That being said, I no longer own the 8x32 SV, because I like variety in powers and sizes. But, if I was told today that I had to pick one binocular, and only one binocular ( as OP stated)- it would not be any of the ones I currently own. I would sell off all my binoculars and buy a 8x32 SV.

Last edited:
I don't own one, but I would pick the 8.5x42 Swarovision. It fit me perfect. Here is what I thought of that binocular when I was at LCSS. The sign is 158 yds. away, the link did not work for me

I wanted to try the new Swarovisions. The young fellow handed me the 8.5x42 Swarvision and the 8x42 SLC HD to try out on the porch. I thought the HD was very nice. Excellent contrast and good edges. I tried the Swarovision and found the eye relief perfect for me without glasses. I could just hold the eyecups against my eyes no MOLCET needed. This is the first time I used any binocular that I could do this, I could see the whole field no trouble, the binocular was an extension of my eyes. If you remember they have some signs hanging on trees at two distances.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment....8&d=1192754799 . I noticed what I could read in the center I could read in the edges without any problem. I had no trouble with the focuser or with rolling ball. I didn't have that problem with the Nikon full size LX models, saw it for an instant and it went away on the 8x10 LX full size.
After using this Swarovision I think Dennis was crazy to sell his. I loved it and would of brought it home but didn't think my wife would like it that I bought a binocular of this price at this time.

Last edited:
I don't own one (yet). I haven't even looked through one, but based on my experience of the old 8x32 models I'd probably go for the current Leica 8x32 ultravid. My 8.5x42 Swaro's would be too big and cumbersome and my old 10x42 BA's just too heavy.

I don't own one (yet). I haven't even looked through one, but based on my experience of the old 8x32 models I'd probably go for the current Leica 8x32 ultravid. My 8.5x42 Swaro's would be too big and cumbersome and my old 10x42 BA's just too heavy.

Craig, I would agree. It's rated extremely high. I'm hoping they update it to the Plus version soon.

Tough choice, but it would have to be a Swarovski SLC 8x42! Absolutely stellar, tried and true, conventional, virtually bomb-proof binocular! Why not the 8x32 EL SV like everyone else? Well, the 32mm objective just doesn't cut it for a good all-round binocular in my opinion, and those open bridge designs are prone to break (as I have amply demonstrated!)

So, the SLC would be around my neck for the rest of my life, and come with me to the fallout shelter when the end is nigh (and stuffed in the coffin with me when the time comes!) ;)

If size was not a factor in my decision I also would pick either the 8.5x42 Swaro SV; or the wonderful 8x42 SLC HD. But, even though I have full size 42 and 50mm binoculars if I have to pick a binocular to as the OP stated:

"CARRY full-time throughout the day for the rest of your life..... regardless of which activity you end up doing."

Then for me it is going to be a mid-size bino; and a 8x32 format for me strikes the right balance. Because if the operative instructions call for carrying full-time all day, with any activity I do, then I probably will not be carrying a full size binocular. Even though I like a full size binocular, when I am hiking the mountains and carrying a pack, then I usually reach for a mid sized binocular. Same reason that my 82mm spotter does not go on those treks; as I either grab my 50mm spotter or do not take one at all. But I always have a binocular with me- just not a full size one.

This is why I would prefer to have at least two binoculars to be able to choose from.

It is nice that we have so many good choices.

Cheers B :)

Last edited:
If you could have just ONE binocular with you to CARRY full-time throughout the day for the rest of your life... regardless of which activity you end up doing, which would it be?

No cheating here -- just name ONE binocular model. Feel free to state your reasons why but please keep it pithy. It does NOT have to be a binocular you currently own. It does have to be something that exists -- no future designs!

Also think about something you'd have to lug with you around the neck or in a bag... those 10x42 alphas can get might heavy!

Okay I'll go first...

Wow this is tough. I'm tempted to say a Leica UVHD+ model but I think I could be fine with my Vortex Razor HD 12x50s. I can use them for land, astronomy, marine and even birding -- at least for another 10 years or so. :)
Swaro 8x32SV. It is the best all around binocular I have used and if I could only have one it would be it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back