• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best i-Pad (1 Viewer)

Irish Kite

I hope to purchase an i-Pad and retire the laptop over the coming weeks. What do experienced users think is the overall best option in terms of performance, technical support, reliablity, value for money etc.?? All suggestions gratefully received:)

You might want to wait until Apple announces its new 'mini' version sometime this month to give yourself another option.

Hi Irish Kite. I've been looking myself recently at some of the tablets on offer. It appears the i-pad comes out on top of most tests but then it's generally the dearest.

On You Tube there's some decent comparisons. Just type in i-pad 3 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab or whichever models you want to compare. The google nexus has decent reviews and the Sony Tablets holds some interest for me as I'm sure my 5 year old would like the PS games.

Let us know how you get on as I'm still a touch undecided.

Rich

As always you get what you pay for. The IPad is very good as is the Google Nexus 7 but it has a totally different system of operating and of course a much smaller screen. I have found that the IPad is much easier to operate and seems more intuitive to use than the Nexus 7. The bird recognition and recording "apps" available on both mostly are very good.

Like a comment above wait to see what the so called mini Ipad due very soon will have to offer!

First of all I think a tablet, Ipad or Android tablet, is not a real replacement for a good laptop or PC. For me its an addition and not a replacement, at least not yet.

I have an Ipad 3, bought it for the high resolution screen because I like reading magazine pdf's and my pictures look really good on it |:D|
Having said that, there are quite some drawbacks. Android is much more open, you can do a lot more with it. Apple often forces you to do things the way they feel is right, whether you like it or not. You HAVE to use ITunes, flash doesn't work on websites, something I regularly encounter.
Apple makes really nice things, but there are alternatives that are just as good and usually cheaper, sometimes a lot. Only thing Apple really has more is apps, often the only reason apple stuff pulls ahead in comparisons. But even there you have to wonder how much of a difference that really makes. Virtually all useful apps can be found on either system but apps are more expensive on iOS, the same app often costs more for iOS than Android. And anything for which there is areal demand will also find its way to Android if it isn't there already.

I know my next tablet won't be an iPad, but what I find annoying may not bother you at all.

I-Pad

Get the i-pad. I can't give you a rational reason but it just works far better than anything else I have tried. When you pick it up it is like an old friend you just slip straight into comfort mode. Yes there are some gripes especially flash player but if anyone has seen some of the truely awful flash sites out there maybe its understandable why Apple won't give it support. As I said I really can't explain it it just feels good.

Asus transformer prime, Polaris office.... Laptop thrown away. 16 hours battery life with attached full size keyboard dock. Sublime quad core performance. Perfection.

The iPad Mini has washed out colours as well as the much lower resolution non-retina screen. Plus the slower A5 processor. With comparing side by side to it's bigger brother.
The form factor is 10/10 though.
I would wait for the Retina iPad Mini to be released.
Either that or get a new iPad 4 with the superior processor. Although I find it too big and heavy.

Asus transformer prime, Polaris office.... Laptop thrown away. 16 hours battery life with attached full size keyboard dock. Sublime quad core performance. Perfection.

I would seriously consider the Asus. This company seems to produce really innovative and good quality products. The one mentioned above runs android, so has all the apps, stable, easy to use etc.

I have an Asus netbook which is pretty good, was leading edge when I bought it with hdmi connectivity etc.
(Not for this thread, but also the new Asus "padfone" looks brilliant.. basically a smartphone that docks inside a tablet, so you get mobile plus tablet for a single phone plan.)

Peter

I've just ordered a refurbished Ipad 3 directly from Apple. Comes with the same warranty as a brand new one and the saving allowed me to double up the storage capacity that I could afford. Should arrive tomorrow and I'll report back in due course.

Well my iPad arrived on time and apart from the label saying it's a refurbished model you wouldn't know it isn't brand new. Comes in a sealed box with all the original accessories. Fairly impressed so far, the retina screen is brilliant although a tad unresponsive at times. I bought the Peterson App at £2.99 and it's superb value for money. I've also downloaded light versions of Sibley and Morcombe which both look great. The Morcombe app is £21 so I won't be buying that until a trip down under is confirmed. Battery life is great, I used it all day and night yesterday and it still had around 35% left. Overall pretty happy so far, glad I finally took the plunge.

As ronw said the iPad is not really a replacement for a good laptop. There are many good points and bad points to using one. The iPad is good for just browsing but as has been said the flash compatibility is non existent. The lack of USB is another bad point for the iPad.
I'm not sure how the newer models compare to the older but I use the iPad 1 and I would never consider it as a replacement for my laptop.

Regards Gerard.

Ditto other comments. My iPad is a convenient web browsing tool, an entertainment device, nothing more. Apple put too many restrictions on what you are allowed to do to make it any more useful. If I was buying another tablet it would be an android device. Probably the Samsung galaxy tab. Much better for compatibility with other devices (apple won't even let you Bluetooth with non apple). Keep the laptop and get an android device if you really want a tablet.

In my opinion some of the drawbacks are non-issues.
Flash is disappearing as better methods are being used. (My opinion)
Lack of USB is not an issue for me - I much prefer using GoodReader to wirelessly sync folders on my PCs (home and work) via SugarSync than having to manually transfer. And I can transfer photos from my camera via USB if I want, with the camera connector.

My iPad has replaced my home pc for everything non-work related, playing Civilizaation and editing photos in Lightroom. If a user does not need those things then an iPad can easily replace a standard PC. My PC is semi-retired.

Edit: but get a stylus and keyboard to transform the iPad into a useful device, rather than just being a reader. I used to be in the same camp as Craig re uses.

Last edited:
John Lewis have some decent reductions on the new i-pad. Don't know if it's for today only. There's also a 2 year warrenty thrown in. £438 for the 32gb version.

Rich

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back