• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birthday birding (1 Viewer)

rb_stern

Richard stern
Hi,

My birthday this year coincided with N.American Migration Count day (May 8th) - so I spent the day birding on Brier Island, Nova Scotia - a migration hotspot. Thanks for the greeting from Bird Forums! My wife, son and dogs, and several good birding friends were with me on and off, which made for a very enjoyable day. It was brilliantly clear, with not a trace of fog, and we found 64 species. Highlights were 2 Field Sparrows - good rarities for the province, and lots of White-crowned Sparrows (see today's Gallery) - also rare, but not quite so. There were several Turkey Vultures, and large numbers of Common Eider and Brant. We saw the first Spring Ruby-crowned Kinglets, but were a few days early for the arrival of most Warblers - that's going on just about now in the Province. Gannets were flying by offshore, and I have never seen so many Ruffed Grouse in one small area. I'll post some pics in the Gallery in the next few days - meantime here's one of a few Herring Gulls with typical Brier Island coastal scenery. The day was topped off with a late night Great Horned Owl heard calling, from the open bedroom window.

Richard

Attachments

• DSCN4531 copy-sm.jpg
    DSCN4531 copy-sm.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 94
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back