• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (51 Viewers)

Early morning at the Moors Pool and JTB reports:

Little Grebe 3, Shoveler 81, Teal 46, Wigeon 2, Gadwall 4, Pochard 11, Shelduck, Mute Swan 22, Black-tailed Godwit, Snipe 3, Lapwing 300, Swallow 2.

Work Party Today North Moors

Thanks to all the 15 of us for a great effort in damp conditions :t:
Andy A, Alan D, Bob O, Bobby P, Charles, Dave H, Jim B, Julie W, Kim W, Paul M, Roger S, Steve T, Sue T, Tony B and me

Tasks:
1. dead hedging along the NM trail on the eastern side. This will help screen the path from the area in front of the new hide.
2. The grassy/rank area between the plantation and the reeds was cut back to try and recreate a grassy area who knows we could even try and get some meadow plants to grow in the future.
3. Cut the reeds along the eastern edge of the reed bed where a channel was dug out in 2015. this has created a shallow boggy shore running into the cut grassland. Hopefully open enough for owls/kestrel to hunt over.
4. A channel was strimmed in the reeds, the area was very wet, deep and difficult /dangerous to work in. Paul managed to cut a good way into it hopefully something will appear in it.
5. a section of reed mace in front of the hide was removed to give views into the open water.
6. Planted clumps of 'juncus' (soft rush) in the shallows hopefully snipe will find the area soon.

Photo's
1. how the area in front of the hide looked before we started improvements 10th October.
2. The grassy area being worked on.
3. The new areas cut in the reeds from a distance
4. a close up of the area in pic 3.

Thanks to Jim and Sue for Apple cake and quiche.:eat:

NEXT WEEKS WORK PARTY WILL BE AT THE FLASHES....I REMIND EVERYONE NEXT WEEKB :)

Can I just add a point about the New Hide. At the moment birds are quite wary when feeding in front of the hide and it doesn't take much to flush them. So when approaching the hide do so quietly and open the door slowly cheers:t:

Attachments

• NM 10th Oct B4 work  DSCF0373.jpg
    NM 10th Oct B4 work DSCF0373.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 72
  • NM grass cutting DSCF0522.jpg
    NM grass cutting DSCF0522.jpg
    935.1 KB · Views: 81
  • strimmed NM reeds DSCF0524.jpg
    strimmed NM reeds DSCF0524.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 75
  • reed channels NM  DSCF0526.jpg
    reed channels NM DSCF0526.jpg
    879.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Birding today on the reserve

I did a 12 stretch today although 5 hours working and preparing for the work.
With disturbance at the Flashes early morning the Moors was the place to be.
Plenty of thrushes coming out of roost and I dare say some migrants amongst them. The next migrants surprisingly were 2 swallows that spent a lot of time above the car park area and then drifted over the moors pool. Distant unidentified finches moved south, but not a sniff of a hawfinch.

MOORS:
Canada geese 350, greylag 50, Little Grebe 3, Mute Swan 22,
Shoveler 81, Teal 46, Wigeon 2, Gadwall 4, Pochard 11, tufted 10, Shelduck,
Black-tailed Godwit, green sand, Snipe 3, Lapwing 300, coot 100, water rail,
SWALLOW 2, coal tit 2, goldcrest 2, chaffinch 10, starling 50, mistle thrush , redwing 120, song thrush,

NORTH MOORS:
little egret 2 dropped in early morning. grey heron 2, water rail 3, shoveler 2, teal 3, cormorant 40 passed over this evening and 2 fished during the day. Ruff passed over north. kingfisher, jay 2, redwing roosting, goldcrest, cetti's w 2,

FLASHES:
Teal 20, shoveler 23, lapwing 120, snipe 6, curlew 12, coot 24,
peregrine, pheasant,
meadow pipit 2, redpoll 20, cetti's , goldcrest,

feeding station NORTH MOORS

Over the weekend we had noticed that a feeding station had appeared at the side of the new hide. Does anyone know who had put it there, a mystery.

The Flashes Contract work

Today was the 2nd day of the work.

Island are marked out with post and then a membrane is wrapped around them . Dredging / silt is then put inside. not sure exactly how it all works , but I'm sure it will great when finished.
Its work in progress at the moment.

Attachments

• contract wrk Flashes Oct 17 DSCF0519.jpg
    contract wrk Flashes Oct 17 DSCF0519.jpg
    903.4 KB · Views: 144
  • the 2nd flash islands work in progress DSCF0528.jpg
    the 2nd flash islands work in progress DSCF0528.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 2nd flash RH is oct 17, DSCF0527.jpg
    2nd flash RH is oct 17, DSCF0527.jpg
    817.9 KB · Views: 134
Over the weekend we had noticed that a feeding station had appeared at the side of the new hide. Does anyone know who had put it there, a mystery.

A well positioned and suitably maintained feeding station at the North Moors would be a real asset fo the reserve with the potential for Brambling, Water Rail, woodpeckers and possibly even Yellowhammer based on last weekend's sighting. But it needs to be managed appropriately; cant have people rocking up and doing their own thing.

A well positioned and suitably maintained feeding station at the North Moors would be a real asset fo the reserve with the potential for Brambling, Water Rail, woodpeckers and possibly even Yellowhammer based on last weekend's sighting. But it needs to be managed appropriately; cant have people rocking up and doing their own thing.

Yes Phil.. all good intent I would think.. but it is a nature reserve and has to managed as such. If anyone wants to contribute anything for feeding stations or discuss any aspect of the reserve please contact Bobby P or any wardens including me.:t:
I had an example of people thinking they were doing something good :-
They were pouring a load of frog spawn into the North Moors pool , there pond was being filled in so they thought they were doing the right thing. Unfortunately that's how new Zealand pygmy weed can arrive and destroy a wetland . As well as bringing in frog diseases.
A bit extreme in those examples but we do think and plan how we manage the reserve.
B :)john

Last edited:

Did wonder about that. No problem in principle, but we do already have a feeding station at the Moors. In any case it needs to be somewhere it can be maintained without flushing birds off the pool, i.e. not really where it is now

Today's highlights:

THE MOORS (after disturbance retrieving boat):
Black Tailed Godwit-----------------Ruff (1). Two reported.
Little Egret (2)--------------------------Wigeon (2)
Pochard (6)-----------------------------Gadwall (4)
Teal (45)--------------------------------Shoveler (50)
Shelduck--------------------------------Curlew (12)
Lapwing (40)---------------------------Mute Swan (20)
Cormorant (14)------------------------Kingfisher
Snipe (4)-------------------------------Peregrine (2)
Greylag Goose (51)--------------------Little Grebe (3)
Canada Goose (336)

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*
Yellow Legged Gull (2)--------B H Gull (c800)
Large gulls (c200). The majority of which were Herring Gulls. Also present was L B B Gull with a red ring YUL seen recently.
Meadow Pipit--------------------------Goldcrest (2)
Redpoll (10)---------------------------Cetti's Warbler
G C Grebe (9)*------------------------Little Egret*
Grey Wagtail (2)*

Work at the Flashes

Attachments

• work.jpg
    work.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 144
  • work 2.jpg
    work 2.jpg
    828.3 KB · Views: 145
  • work 3.jpg
    work 3.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Today's highlights:

THE MOORS (after disturbance retrieving boat):
Black Tailed Godwit-----------------Ruff (1). Two reported.
Little Egret (2)--------------------------Wigeon (2)
Pochard (6)-----------------------------Gadwall (4)
Teal (45)--------------------------------Shoveler (50)
Shelduck--------------------------------Curlew (12)
Lapwing (40)---------------------------Mute Swan (20)
Cormorant (14)------------------------Kingfisher
Snipe (4)-------------------------------Peregrine (2)
Greylag Goose (51)--------------------Little Grebe (3)
Canada Goose (336)

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*
Yellow Legged Gull (2)--------B H Gull (c800)
Large gulls (c200). The majority of which were Herring Gulls. Also present was L B B Gull with a red ring YUL seen recently.
Meadow Pipit--------------------------Goldcrest (2)
Redpoll (10)---------------------------Cetti's Warbler
G C Grebe (9)*------------------------Little Egret*
Grey Wagtail (2)*

Work at the Flashes
Looks like the ruff doesn't mind the work .. at the front of pic 2:t:
Is that shingle Des or sand on the islands

Looks like the ruff doesn't mind the work .. at the front of pic 2:t:
Is that shingle Des or sand on the islands

It looked like sand to me.

The Ruff may have been at the Flashes after being disturbed at the Moors by, apparently, shooting! I was told about it tonight. Plenty of disturbance on both sides of the reserve. 1. De-silting. 2. Trust recovery of a boat and 3. Shooting. Not bad for one day.

Photo's from today in front of New Hide (25-10-20170

Attachments

• A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis 2J4A4493.jpg
    A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis 2J4A4493.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 132
  • A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis 2J4A4497.jpg
    A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis 2J4A4497.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 143
  • A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis 2J4A4474.jpg
    A Kingfisher - Alcedo atthis 2J4A4474.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 133
  • A Water rail - Rallus aquaticus 2J4A4511.jpg
    A Water rail - Rallus aquaticus 2J4A4511.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 145
  • A Water rail - Rallus aquaticus 2J4A4530.jpg
    A Water rail - Rallus aquaticus 2J4A4530.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 131
It looked like sand to me.

The Ruff may have been at the Flashes after being disturbed at the Moors by, apparently, shooting! I was told about it tonight. Plenty of disturbance on both sides of the reserve. 1. De-silting. 2. Trust recovery of a boat and 3. Shooting. Not bad for one day.

The farmer at Hobden hall has been taking pot shots at the Canada's. Do you know if the shooting was from there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back