• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montgomery County, MD - Nighthawk vs Whip Poor Will (1 Viewer)

martinboer

Saw this bird in my backyard this morning in Chevy Chase, MD. It looks to me more like a Whip-poor-will but I realize that is a rare Fall sighting. Could it otherwise be a Common Nighthawk?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Best, Martin

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 75
My best guess is a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. I don't seem to be seeing any nightjar qualities on this bird.

I guess you are right. Especially with the three white stripes. But I didn't see any red at all. It was also early in the morning - in broad daylight - and I haven't seen a woodpecker laying still like that before.

Birdmeister, are you pretty sure?

I guess you are right. Especially with the three white stripes. But I didn't see any red at all. It was also early in the morning - in broad daylight - and I haven't seen a woodpecker laying still like that before.

Birdmeister, are you pretty sure?

Immature Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers have no red on the head.

I did note the interesting position the bird is in. Perhaps it was sunning?

Can't be completely sure, but coloration and shape both look good for YB Sapsucker.

Immature Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers have no red on the head.

I did note the interesting position the bird is in. Perhaps it was sunning?

Can't be completely sure, but coloration and shape both look good for YB Sapsucker.

Can I ask you if Nighthawks or Whip Poor Wills are known to lie on the side of a tree like that? That's probably another tip-off. I can upload a clearer photo but the lines on the wings also look more like a YB Sapsucker.

Can I ask you if Nighthawks or Whip Poor Wills are known to lie on the side of a tree like that? That's probably another tip-off. I can upload a clearer photo but the lines on the wings also look more like a YB Sapsucker.

No, some Nightjar species will roost horizontally on a branch, not clinging to a tree trunk but during the day, most Nighthawks will be roosting on the ground I think.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back