• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Undescribed (2 Viewers)

Vaniko White-eye

The “Vanikoro White-eye” found by Gibbs in 1994.

Ibis (2008),150, 698–706

A new species of White-eye Zosterops and notes on
other birds from Vanikoro, Solomon Islands
GUY DUTSON

Urrao Antpitta

it really depends on what you call a scientific description paper... if you get to read both papers, you will easily found that there is only one! - at least that way works for me...
;-)
Yes, I've read both! I wonder what SACC is now waiting for?

Richard

Last edited:
Not sure if you have seen this new species, Colombian endemic.. it is a Tapaculo usually named over the years as Pisones Tapaculo by Gary Stiles et al...

http://www.xeno-canto.org/america/species.php?species_nr2=2271.65

And there is neat info at the end of the discussion in this forum post:
http://www.xeno-canto.org/america/discuss_forum.php?topic_nr=1611

enjoy!
and come and see it.. visiting this place next week with a client!!
Diego.

That's pretty awesome although one day, it will be found out that Scytalopus species are actually what has been suspected on numerous occasions- that they are feathered mice ;)

That's pretty awesome although one day, it will be found out that Scytalopus species are actually what has been suspected on numerous occasions- that they are feathered mice ;)

you also knew that!!... I thought I was the only one along with some people that in the past I have heard telling same thing... awesome!

'Peleng Leaf Warbler'

Rheindt, Verbelen, Putra, Rahman & Indrawan 2010. New biogeographic records in the avifauna of Peleng Island (Sulawesi, Indonesia), with taxonomic notes on some endemic taxa. Bull BOC 130(3): 181-207.

'Peleng Leaf Warbler' Phylloscopus taxon novum.

Also several potential undescribed sspp:
  • Prioniturus platurus Golden-mantled Racquet-tail
  • Ficedula hyperythra Snowy-browed Flycatcher
  • Orthotomus cucullatus Mountain Tailorbird
  • Rhipidura teysmanni Rusty-bellied Fantail
  • Myzomela chloroptera Sulawesi Myzomela
Vocal data strongly suggest species status for Zosterops (atrifrons) subatrifrons [and Z (a) sulaensis], but further data required.

Vocal data also demonstrate that Pitta (erythrogaster) dohertyi Sula Pitta (split by IOC, BLI, Cornell/Clements) should be treated as a ssp.

Richard

'Peleng Leaf Warbler' Phylloscopus taxon novum.

My BBOC copy hasn't crossed the channel yet. |:(|

Does the "Peleng Leaf-Warbler" belong to the poliocephalus complex, the Island Leaf-Warbler, like the "Taliabu Leaf-Warbler" (Rheindt 2010, BBOC 130/1) ?

There are still many Indonesian islands where the avifauna is not well known and this complex might harbour a lot of undescribed taxa in addition to the 20 ssp or so. :eek!:

'Peleng Leaf Warbler'

My BBOC copy hasn't crossed the channel yet. |:(|

Does the "Peleng Leaf-Warbler" belong to the poliocephalus complex, the Island Leaf-Warbler, like the "Taliabu Leaf-Warbler" (Rheindt 2010, BBOC 130/1) ?
Daniel, just in case your copy gets wet:

"Preliminary comparison of photographs and sound-recordings suggests pronounced differences in underparts coloration and vocalisations between the 'Peleng Leaf Warbler', the undescribed Taliabu taxon and P. sarasinorum. The taxonomic affinity of the Peleng population requires acoustic, morphological and preferably genetic studies, incorporating all neighbouring taxa of the P. sarasinorum / poliocephalus complex, which might comprise up to a dozen species-level taxa (Rheindt & Hutchinson 2007); the undescribed forms on Taliabu and Peleng perhaps form part of this grouping. Detailed taxonomic research into the P. poliocephalus complex has been initiated with a view to resolving the position of some Indo-Papuan leaf warbler taxa (FER unpubl. data)."​

Richard

Lemon-chested Greenlet

in HBW 15, page 435, taxonomy.

"N races have sometimes been regarded as constituing a distinct species. Birds from mountains of S Bahia may represent a further, hitherto undescribed species, based partly on larger size and also suspected vocal differences; taxonomic study currently in progress."

Do we know more today ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back