• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

used swifts (1 Viewer)

bill54

Just picked up a good pair of swift newport mk11 from the local flea market for £35 pound sterling. they are the best used pair of binos i've seen so far. I did notice there is a screw fitting under the right casing.

Hi Bill,
I measured the Swift Newport Mk II 10×50 as having an actual field of 7.90°. The claimed field was 8.02°. I noted that the binocular was fine for astronomy.

The Hoya 10x50 had a claimed field of 7.5° but was actually 7.55°, also a very nice binocular. The Japanese cases of both of these are identical, one was lightly stamped Hoya the other lightly stamped Swift.
The binoculars look almost the same but come from different factories.

Just picked up a good pair of swift newport mk11 from the local flea market for £35 pound sterling. they are the best used pair of binos i've seen so far. I did notice there is a screw fitting under the right casing.

Hi Bill, the Newport MK11 is a very good vintage 10x50, that is a good price if clean.
I don't often use 10x hand held, too much image shake at my age, but the Swift Newport is the only 10x I have kept. The fitting under the body is for mounting on a tripod, which of course will fix image shake problems and make for steady viewing. Enjoy them.
Ben

Hi. thanks. I am impressed with them. originally the original seller wanted double what i payed so a good buy. I wpuld like to find out the age of them and any info on specs.:eat:

Swifts are generally quite nice, barring the Aerolites (which are just ordinary).
They mixed coatings for color correction, and a fair number of their models used
eyepieces with one aspheric surface. The Newports have arms like Tentos, but they
use a precision focuser piston that harks back to bigger Tokyo Kogaku "SeeFars".
They can be worked into a very fine sharpness with that focuser.

Swifts are a relatively good deal on the used market.
They were premium in their time, but large numbers were bought, so the asking prices
are surprisingly low. The estate sale units are 'hitting the beach' now.
They look good (looking through) because their EP/guide-tube grease and shoulder putty
last well, so dust leakage is usually very low.

Newport 10x50s are very rare, even in the Swift line. It's a cut above the Saratoga line.
I don't know exact dates, but from the condition, coatings, and focuser build,
I would put them at late-50s to mid-60s, heyday of the camera-based coatings.
Very fine, and useful even in hazy conditions.

On a tripod, and with a careful finger on that microscrew focuser, they should
deliver memorable pinpricks.

The Newport is good as it stands, but can be improved if your inclined to do it and can find an old beat up 8.5x44 Audubon cheap enough to make it worth it. The old Audubon just needs to have good unmarked oculars and sound prisms, exchange the Newport eye lenses for the Audubon erfle eye lenses, and clean up and swap the Audubon BAK4 prisms into the Newport.
Noticable improvement.

I'm curious about this model. Are you able to attach pictures, including the screw fitting under the right casing, and whatever markings are on the left and right cover plates? I take it you mean a tripod attachment. Also, what is the serial number?

Thanks,
Ed

Optics Nut wrote:

"Swifts are generally quite nice, barring the Aerolites (which are just ordinary)."

With your thoughts on the Aerolites, you were being incredibly kind. Good show!

I've always considered them chum for a plastic-eating shark. Now, if you will excuse me; I have to go repent of that comment. The others have little in common. I was using my Audubons right up til I got my SEs. I still have them, and would be pleased to use them anywhere.

Bill

. Hi Ed,
Newport MK II on right side backplate in blue. Also says 10×,50 extra wide-angle, 420 feet at 1000 yards.
Under the right side is the tripod socket. Normal swift type.
Black back plates, grey body, black front rings.
Swift in a circle and crosshairs and also a blue band on the back left plate.

The weight is 1098 g. With the strap it weighs 1122 g.

The dioptre is marked from +2 to -2 dioptres in big white numbers. The whole range is from +5 dioptres to -6 dioptres.

The Ramsden disc (exit pupil) is somewhat squared off but not badly.

There is slight pincushion distortion.
Somewhat poor edge, but not too bad. Good performance.

The hinge on this sample is too loose.

Silver strap lugs.

Amber coated cemented doublet objectives.
The eyepieces are partly Amber coated and partly uncoated surfaces.

The prisms are not coated.

There is a worn silver Japanese sticker.
The large focus wheel is a bit worn on the front.
The eye relief is small.
The field is measured as 7.90° against the claimed 8.02°.

On the front tripod cover it says Japan.
Serial number 7519xx.

Maker JB 56.

The case says Made in Japan. Pat. No. 202358. There is a passed sticker on the bottom.
The case is black and has a strap.

Swift is lightly stamped on the front within a circle.

There are no lens caps.
The total weight in the case is 1608 g.
It is the same Japanese case as the Hoya 10×50, which binocular is from another factory.
The case has a stud closure.

The eyepieces on the binocular are large but not extra large.

I actually prefer the Minolta standard 10×50, which has a 7.8° field of which 7.65° is easily available.
Although the Swift maybe stronger built?

. Hi Ed,
Newport MK II on right side backplate in blue. Also says 10×,50 extra wide-angle, 420 feet at 1000 yards.
Under the right side is the tripod socket. Normal swift type.
Black back plates, grey body, black front rings.
Swift in a circle and crosshairs and also a blue band on the back left plate.

The weight is 1098 g. With the strap it weighs 1122 g.

The dioptre is marked from +2 to -2 dioptres in big white numbers. The whole range is from +5 dioptres to -6 dioptres.

The Ramsden disc (exit pupil) is somewhat squared off but not badly.

There is slight pincushion distortion.
Somewhat poor edge, but not too bad. Good performance.

The hinge on this sample is too loose.

Silver strap lugs.

Amber coated cemented doublet objectives.
The eyepieces are partly Amber coated and partly uncoated surfaces.

The prisms are not coated.

There is a worn silver Japanese sticker.
The large focus wheel is a bit worn on the front.
The eye relief is small.
The field is measured as 7.90° against the claimed 8.02°.

On the front tripod cover it says Japan.
Serial number 7519xx.

Maker JB 56.

The case says Made in Japan. Pat. No. 202358. There is a passed sticker on the bottom.
The case is black and has a strap.

Swift is lightly stamped on the front within a circle.

There are no lens caps.
The total weight in the case is 1608 g.
It is the same Japanese case as the Hoya 10×50, which binocular is from another factory.
The case has a stud closure.

The eyepieces on the binocular are large but not extra large.

I actually prefer the Minolta standard 10×50, which has a 7.8° field of which 7.65° is easily available.
Although the Swift maybe stronger built?

Binastro,

Someone should put together a historical review of Swift-Pyser issuances over the years. Judging by the characteristic blue stripe, these seem to be one of them. As such, they are largely similar to Swift Instruments issuances in North America, but sometimes carrying a different model designation.

In this case, what you have sounds like an Admiral, Model 751 Mk I sold in 1975 (same year as your s/n 75xxxx. The specs were 10x50, FOV = 420 Extra Wide Angle, 40 oz.

At least in the US, Mk II binoculars were supposed to have BaK4 prisms, not BK7, ... so these are listed as Mk I. See attachment.

Ed

Attachments

• Swift Mark I 1975 (mod).jpg
    Swift Mark I 1975 (mod).jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
Optics Nut wrote:

"Swifts are generally quite nice, barring the Aerolites (which are just ordinary)."
With your thoughts on the Aerolites, you were being incredibly kind. Good show!

Bill

Well...OK, if we are 'truthin' here, Aerolites are behind
many regular types like Bushnell Sportviews or all Empire and Binolux and Selsi
up to 1970s. What were they thinking? The Bushnell Ensigns were a
similar "MBA-eviscerated" plastic wreck, mostly, but at least they had dandy optics
for salvage. The objective from 7x50 Aerolites are great for strafing ants and burning
your name in wood...wear dark sunglasses!

Last edited:
I have a pair of Swift Trilyte 7x50 roof prism binocs, which I've read in an older thread as not existing!
Mine are labeled (though not that clearly in the accompanying pic) as No. 817.... they're in excellent shape optically, though the body is rather dirty. (as per pics) The rubber armor is complete and intact, the eyecups are still soft, weight around 50 oz.

If there's a serial no. on them I can't find it, but they definitely do exist!
hope the pics are viewable..... suggest a better medium for viewing if you know one....

Last edited:
Well...OK, if we are 'truthin' here, Aerolites are behind
many regular types like Bushnell Sportviews or all Empire and Binolux and Selsi
up to 1970s. What were they thinking? The Bushnell Ensigns were a
similar "MBA-eviscerated" plastic wreck, mostly, but at least they had dandy optics
for salvage. The objective from 7x50 Aerolites are great for strafing ants and burning
your name in wood...wear dark sunglasses!

The older ones, while maybe not tops optically, were pretty solid mechanically. I got 7x50, which is nice mechanically, arguably better than at least one of my Skippers. I've used them fairly often at times, 7x35's probably the nicest optically, and also 10x 50's, which I need to conditionally align, before I pass too much judgement.

Last edited:
"Newport MK II on right side backplate in blue. Also says 10×,50 extra wide-angle, 420 feet at 1000 yards.
Under the right side is the tripod socket."

I have a Sears Model No. 6213 Fully amber coated. Also says 10×50 extra wide-angle, 420 feet at 1000 yards.
Under the right side is the tripod socket."

Twins perhaps?

From the same line I've a Sears wide angle model 6231 coated optics. 8x50 430' @ 1000 CB-B4-08847
Doesn't have the tripod adapter nor the cut metal focus wheel/ocular housings
-----
Thanks for the ad on Mark I. I can see the lineage of my 7x35 Mark II Holiday 600' @ 1000 yds. Same metal swivel strap lugs and also sports tripod adapter under the right barrel. Claims fully coated optics, comes w/4 individual covers instead of two w/rainguard, where the Audubon HR/5 comes w/rainguard stating multi-coated optics.

Last edited:
I know this isn't directly related to 10x50, etc., but it does have historical information that might be of interest, and if you like the 8x5x44, it will be of great interest. This came from a post here some time ago, so I'm just making it easier to find. I have the 8.5x44 and although somewhat large, it's a great view.

Attachments

• swift binocular history complete document.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 924
Thanks for the D/L. I had that on the old puter, but now I've saved it again to this one.
My Holiday Mark II is JB-56, Sears 10x50 JB-46 & Sears 8x50 JE-34 & JB-92.

Thanks for the D/L. I had that on the old puter, but now I've saved it again to this one.
My Holiday Mark II is JB-56, Sears 10x50 JB-46 & Sears 8x50 JE-34 & JB-92.

You can find it and more information in the "Sticky" at the beginning of the Swift forum thanks to Ed and Renze.

Bob

Thanks for pointing that out, Ceasar, I'd like to say it was easy to miss, but the sticky was right in my face! Sorry about duplicating things.

Thanks for pointing that out, Ceasar, I'd like to say it was easy to miss, but the sticky was right in my face! Sorry about duplicating things.

I'm glad you brought it up!

It is sad how Swift has all but disappeared over the last few years. It doesn't seem like too long ago when Swift was still selling first rate binoculars.

They still have an attractive Website but it hasn't been upgraded since 2014.

http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back