• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

When was the picture taken Steve? Were there other EPO about?
Surely this has to be some form of hybrid, with SMO as one parent, but if the photo has been taken this year it seems very early.
Jeff

When was the picture taken Steve? Were there other EPO about?
Surely this has to be some form of hybrid, with SMO as one parent, but if the photo has been taken this year it seems very early.
Jeff

Hi Jeff. Taken two days ago. It was with a small group of EPO.

I would welcome any opinions on this EPO seen at Cors Bodeilio. Certainly more chunky than the usual rather spindly EPOs, and those leaves just don't seem to fit.

Hi Steve

I found a couple of similar plants, I think it was last year, at a site where both EPO and SMO occur - but the conclusion I reached was they were just rather robust EPOs. I'll see if I can find the photos sometime.

Have you got any close ups of the flowers on yours?

First SMOs just starting to flower locally here.

Rich

Hi Steve

I found a couple of similar plants, I think it was last year, at a site where both EPO and SMO occur - but the conclusion I reached was they were just rather robust EPOs. I'll see if I can find the photos sometime.

Have you got any close ups of the flowers on yours?

First SMOs just starting to flower locally here.

Rich

If, repeat if, a hybrid then not SMO but EPO which has overlapping flowering times, same pollinators, and both grow on the site. Those leaves are so unlike EPO. More marsh orchid colour, semi erect and not a spot in sight.
Do you know how many chromosomes EPOs have?

Attachments

• beefy.jpg
    beefy.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 152
If, repeat if, a hybrid then not SMO but EPO which has overlapping flowering times, same pollinators, and both grow on the site. Those leaves are so unlike EPO. More marsh orchid colour, semi erect and not a spot in sight.
Do you know how many chromosomes EPOs have?

What hybrid combination are you suggesting Steve, EPO x what?

Personally I can't see why this can't be an EPO, rather an odd one but still an EPO.

The leaves are probably rather odd looking because the plant is growing in the open but not that dissimilar to the attached, again growing in an open meadow.

What is odd about the leaves is the sheer number, almost like there are two plants there but only one flower stem.

Rich

Attachments

• #1 DSC04742_edited.jpg
    #1 DSC04742_edited.jpg
    730.7 KB · Views: 181
Personally I think hybrid has to be considered, but is unlikely. It would be intergeneric, and marsh orchid (EMO) x EPO does not seem to have been recorded. Unlikely that chromosome numbers are the same or compatible. And why would the flowers resemble one parent and the leaves the other.
I put the photo here to garner opinions. It would be nice if it were a hybrid but the more I think about it the more I go off the idea.
But I still cannot convince myself those leaves fit EPO, even if one assumes vegetative reproduction with a single flower spike.
Perhaps it's on steroids ;)

Last edited:
Green Winged

Hi

Oxfordshire green winged all seem a bit small this year and not so abundant - probably due to the dry autumn / winter ?

Re colour variation - snapped this one a couple of years ago in Oxon - similar to Simonm001's

Attachments

• epo 2.jpg
    epo 2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 184
Odd EPO

Having seen Rich’s photo I’m inclined to agree this is an odd EPO, though I’ve not seen one like it before. The leaves are atypical of EPO but very similar to Rich’s plant and the amount of spotting does vary enormously from plant to plant.

Not much doubt about this one I think, EPO just coming into flower at Eryrys, late because of elevation and chilly climate I suspect.. Could only find three spikes this year where there were around twenty last year, but still time for others to appear.

At Eryrys, the rosettes of the Frog Orchid v longibracteatum are just breaking the surface.

Jeff

Attachments

• Early Purple Orchid - Eryrys.jpg
    Early Purple Orchid - Eryrys.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 162
Thanks for the Eryrys update Jeff

There should be hundreds of EPOs (with more typical foliage ;) ) on the roadside down the lane and atop the hill the other side of the road. Perhaps this weekend is too soon to see them at their best.

We traipsed across Halkyn Mountain for 90 mins today. Looks a very likely site for anything but found just one EPO not quite out.

Gait Barrows

Morning all

I'll be driving up to Cumbria this week and wondered if anyone has looked at Gait Barrows this year? Probably too early for the star attraction but they were all over by mid June last year and with some plants being early this year I just wondered?

Ta
P

Mils just starting to come into flower in Bucks, probably about two weeks away from their prime yet though.

GWOs just starting to go over slightly in Oxon, but still spectacular! I found this one with another unusual lip variant - vaguely reminds me of Orchis papilionacea:

Stacked-3874-3788.jpg

Morning all

I'll be driving up to Cumbria this week and wondered if anyone has looked at Gait Barrows this year? Probably too early for the star attraction but they were all over by mid June last year and with some plants being early this year I just wondered?

Ta
P

To answer my own question, the star attractions are just coming out, one flower open on one plant, one other slugged. Probably 10 days away from best.

Lancaster whitebeam and herb Paris showing well!

P

East Sussex update

A lovely sunny afternoon at Castle Hill NNR yesterday. Early Spiders out in profusion, the best I have seen in my five years visiting and the first year I'd confidently say over a thousand flowering plants. Coming to the end of flowering so plenty of taller six to eight inch plants, lots close to each other, and plenty of two inch wonders. I wouldn't leave much after this weekend to visit as they are starting to go over.

Elsewhere, white helleborine spikes abundant at Falmer, flowering a good week or two off but a good year for them too.

Man are just starting to come out in Surrey now; but probably at least a week (more likely two) before they're at their best.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back