• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aberrant Magpie, Hong Kong (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
Anyone seen a Eurasian Magpie with this plumage aberration before, or know anything about what causes it? It was photographed in Hong Kong last Sunday.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC08137 Aberrant Magpie @ Pui O.jpg
    DSC08137 Aberrant Magpie @ Pui O.jpg
    916.5 KB · Views: 235
I don't see Magpies here (or very, very rarely) Mike, but that really reminds me of what happens to young male Blackbirds as they're moulting out their juvenile brown plumage, the head seems to be the last thing to change.

I'm not sure what young Magpies look like though, so probably way off the mark, as usual.

Hi Delia

I couldn't find any evidence that juvenile Magpies are brown - certainly the birds in HK are black and white.

Cheers
Mike

Here's a pic of nestling magpie. They typically have black heads.

With the greatest of respect to Nartreb and the photographer you link to, I think the bird depicted in that shot also has some sort of colour aberration - I can't see features that make it a juvenile.

Cheers
Mike

Haven't had time to check it out, but I seem to recall lack of a brownish immature plumage is a characteristic of the crow family (Corvidae) - therefore it must be some kind of variant plumage.

Here's a pic of nestling magpie. They typically have black heads.

With the greatest of respect to Nartreb and the photographer you link to, I think the bird depicted in that shot also has some sort of colour aberration - I can't see features that make it a juvenile.

Cheers
Mike

Haven't had time to check it out, but I seem to recall lack of a brownish immature plumage is a characteristic of the crow family (Corvidae) - therefore it must be some kind of variant plumage.

Not incompatible. MKinHK's linked Magpie photo is newly fledged, so the juvenile feathers are very fresh; while the bird in the original query is a couple of months older, moulting out its old juv feathers and getting new adult ones. The first set of feathers on juveniles are effectively 'temporary use only', so less tough and resilient than adult feathers produced later, so wear and fade more than adult feathers - there can be a striking contrast between the last faded, old, worn-out juv feathers and the glossy new adult feathers.

I saw a brown and white Magpie in Wolverhampton a few months back. It was one of a pair, clearly some colour aberration had gone on there, I even pulled over to double check it wasn't something rarer.

There was not a hint of black in the plumage at all, it was white where it was supposed to be white, and mid-brown where it was supposed to be black.

hi, wolfbirder. my late birding mate took a pic of a mainly brown and white maggie about twelve years ago in Milton Keynes. sounds very similar to yours. I have the picture in my arcives somewhere . will try to put it on here.

IMO, this bird is in moult. All the greater coverts look new, but there a few old and new primary coverts visible. It probably still hasn't replaced it's inner primary feathers. I think this bird has moulted most of its old body feathers, but has not yet moulted the old feathers on it's head. There seem to be new feathers showing around the base of the bill and the eye. The old feathers on it's head are very worn and bleached by the sun (like the old primary coverts), so appear brown, particularly in contrast to the new, darker, feathers on the upper breast. Hence the odd appearance.

Thanks Ross.

I'm interested in the order of moult of Magpies - it would certainly make sense if the head is moulted last.

Here's the same bird one week later.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC08223 Aberrant Eurasian Magpie (1 week later) @ Pui O.jpg
    DSC08223 Aberrant Eurasian Magpie (1 week later) @ Pui O.jpg
    859.5 KB · Views: 56
There is a paper here that might be useful

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1474-919X.1976.tb03514.x/full

Which states, "The patterns of the relative seasonal timing of the start and finish of moult in each tract were most similar in the three Corvus species, in which moult in the whole plumage began in the primary tract and finished in tracts on the body; P. pica differed principally in the extended growth of the secondary tract"

Ross

Thanks Ross.

I'm interested in the order of moult of Magpies - it would certainly make sense if the head is moulted last.

Here's the same bird one week later.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back