Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 15th March 2017, 20:26   #1
joe101

I am looking for a shotgun mic any recommendations

I am new to nature recording. I am using a tascam DR-100mkiii which I use for music and video. I am probably going to mainly record in tropical rainforest. Any recommendations ?
Old Wednesday 15th March 2017, 20:59   #2
Binoseeker
Mostly using spectacles (myopic) with binoculars.

Check these threads as a start

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=289404

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=282237

If possible, use XLR cable/connections in first hand, since you have such in your recorder.

Last edited by Binoseeker : Wednesday 15th March 2017 at 21:05.

BF Supporter 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th March 2017, 04:43   #3
joe101

It seems that the popular ones that birders use is the Sennheiser mke 600 and the mk66/k7 which comes with their own power which is not necessary for me right ? As my recorder has its own phantom power. And having such is more costly right ?
Old Thursday 16th March 2017, 10:27   #4
iveljay

The MKE 600 works on an internal battery or external phantom power. The K6 powering module comes in two types, the K6-P that relies on phantom power or the K6 that can supply its own if needed.

There is a saving between the K6-P and the K6, however there has been a mismatch in phantom power requirements in the past between some microphones and some recorders, resulting in spurious noise on the resulting recording. I would be surprised that the current Mk III Tascam has this problem though the original DR 100 apparently inserted some hiss at high gain when delivering its own phantom power.

If you start looking into other forums (not birdwatching) the ME 66 is sometimes regarded as the budget option and people are urged to spend more, however as one of the threads that Binoseeker urged you to read, it does have excellent sensitivity compared to some other options.

Unfortunately sound recording is not like Lego, the mere fact that two items will connect to each other doesn't always mean that they work perfectly together which is why many folks stick to what is known to work.

Cheap cabling is often a source of extraneous noise as well, but a decent XLR to XLR cable should beat many terminating in a 3.5 mm jack.

So yes you are probably right that you can save about £40 by going for the less expensive K6 variant, and you should end up with some excellent recording kit, but I for one have not tried your combination of kit to verify it.

Last edited by iveljay : Thursday 16th March 2017 at 11:33.
Old Thursday 16th March 2017, 13:02   #5
joe101

Thanks
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: