Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 18th March 2017, 04:02   #1
snoqualmieScott

Peregrine Falcon World record kill?

Witnessed a Juvenile Tundra Swan being brought in and consumed, that was flown in by the adult female Peregrine Falcon "Misty" June 3rd 2010, never posted because the video was so poor, but the content is overwhelming:
Full length recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPidP32Wz2A

Juvenile Tundra Swan I'D. clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbw3IKj2w8k

frame "grab/highlight/crop" Tundra Swan identification clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxGxpeG-AAM

Snoqualmie Scott

Last edited by snoqualmieScott : Saturday 18th March 2017 at 04:13.
Old Saturday 18th March 2017, 07:25   #2
MTem

Sorry but to me the size of the head (if indeed it is a head- I would not have seen it as such without the prompt) in proportion to the juv peregrine looks far too small to be a Tundra Swan.
Now I haven't watched the whole video so if you have film of the adult carrying in a Tundra then I'll get my humble pie knife and fork out........

Mick

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 18th March 2017, 10:17   #3
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

This set of youtube videos has been brought up on birdforum before. The prey is a juvenile gull of some sort, not a swan.
Old Saturday 18th March 2017, 19:03   #4
snoqualmieScott

for sure, I'm thinking Juvenile Snow Goose.

Wasn't thinking about dimensional scaling, seems to make sense, the small males in the clutches are about 18-20 inches long, females about 21-23 inches. I have some photos of juveniles that landed on and next to my telephoto lens while I was 15 feet away, I can use the length of the telephoto lens as a scale reference, to see how big these Peregrine Falcons are. The kill, Big, but not that big. You guys are great, lots of help, I have to keep things strait and in proper content, or context, I noted the videos as "(Not a) World record recorder kill?".

Last edited by snoqualmieScott : Sunday 19th March 2017 at 04:54.
Old Saturday 18th March 2017, 22:23   #5
snoqualmieScott

Sorry but to me the size of the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTem View Post
Sorry but to me the size of the head (if indeed it is a head- I would not have seen it as such without the prompt) in proportion to the juv peregrine looks far too small to be a Tundra Swan.
Now I haven't watched the whole video so if you have film of the adult carrying in a Tundra then I'll get my humble pie knife and fork out........

Mick
The adult female that brought in big prey like this is now infertile, fertility recordings of eleven years, is that normal fertility? when she had three or four juveniles fresh out of the nest, in the first week, she would bring in big prey like this, wasn't there all the time, so I wasn't able to see everything she brought in every year, but there are recordings of her with a large Gull as prey, seems like one was a juvenile Raptor, thinking a juvenile Red Tail Hawk. I called her "Misty", now the newly arrived in 2015 female, I call her "Vixen" 1 year old, is smaller, about the same size as the male, I call him "Velocity".

Last edited by snoqualmieScott : Saturday 18th March 2017 at 22:34.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: