Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Experience the Great Outdoors. New Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars. Visit our online shop to find out more!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 14th February 2017, 15:53   #1
andyadcock

Hanzab

Or to give it it's full name.

'Handbook of the birds of Australia, New Zealand and the Antarctic'

I'm currently trying to amass the 7 volume set but it is ridiculously expensive, I so far have 1 to 4.

What I'd like to know is why is it so expensive, ok it's out of print but so is 'Birds of the Westerm Palearctic' by the same publisher but this costs peanuts by comparison?

There are relatively few offered for sale so is it simply rarity, were there so few printed? I just hope that after I've got them all that they don't do a cheap reprint!

Andy

Last edited by andyadcock : Tuesday 14th February 2017 at 15:57.
Old Tuesday 14th February 2017, 16:14   #2
Swissboy

The series had been horribly expensive from the beginning. One reason why I never considered starting to get it when I still had money. I presume the publishers figured from the beginning that the non-library market would be very small so they would have to resort to higher prices to cover their costs from the public/university libraries. If anything, I would rather expect an electronic version at some point than a reprint. Real books are just not that much in demand any more, I'm afraid.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 15th February 2017, 08:26   #3
RobHynson

Hi Andy.

you could sign up to birdingoz listserve as occasionally someone is selling a few volumes.

There is no plan to release a digital version of HANZAB but I think its just a matter of time and I'm sure it would be very popular.

If I see any volumes advertised I'll let you know.

Cheers.

Rob
Old Wednesday 15th February 2017, 10:25   #4
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobHynson View Post
Hi Andy.

you could sign up to birdingoz listserve as occasionally someone is selling a few volumes.

There is no plan to release a digital version of HANZAB but I think its just a matter of time and I'm sure it would be very popular.

If I see any volumes advertised I'll let you know.

Cheers.

Rob
Cheers Rob,
the thing for me is that I don't want to pay silly money.

Andy
Old Wednesday 15th February 2017, 15:52   #5
Tom Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Or to give it it's full name.

'Handbook of the birds of Australia, New Zealand and the Antarctic'

I'm currently trying to amass the 7 volume set but it is ridiculously expensive, I so far have 1 to 4.

What I'd like to know is why is it so expensive, ok it's out of print but so is 'Birds of the Westerm Palearctic' by the same publisher but this costs peanuts by comparison?

There are relatively few offered for sale so is it simply rarity, were there so few printed? I just hope that after I've got them all that they don't do a cheap reprint!

Andy
Andrew Isles in Melbourne has volumes 1 and 7 in stock currently,but they are both A$ 500 plus without postage, which will be horrendous as they will have to be sent airmail as there is no surface mail from Australia.I suspect that not many copies made their way to the UK when it was published as it was always extremely expensive even then without the additional burden of postage,and it probably wasn't high on most birder's lists of desirable books.There have been several books published in Australia recently at reasonable prices that I would like but the postage costs are just outrageous!
Tom Lawson.
Old Wednesday 15th February 2017, 18:45   #6
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lawson View Post
Andrew Isles in Melbourne has volumes 1 and 7 in stock currently,but they are both A$ 500 plus without postage, which will be horrendous as they will have to be sent airmail as there is no surface mail from Australia.I suspect that not many copies made their way to the UK when it was published as it was always extremely expensive even then without the additional burden of postage,and it probably wasn't high on most birder's lists of desirable books.There have been several books published in Australia recently at reasonable prices that I would like but the postage costs are just outrageous!
Tom Lawson.
Yes Tom I know Andrew Isles site, as you say, postage is the killer.

If you find volumes in the UK, most will be 600, 1-2 and 4 are the most readily available and cheapest for some reason.

I've so far managed to get 1-to 4 and paid between 150-350 per volume. 5-6 and 7 are usually expensive, often around 1K per volume is asked.

I'll just keep looking, I'll have them all eventually and at a price I'm comfortable with.

Andy
Old Saturday 18th February 2017, 10:01   #7
Melanie

What a fail. No library in Germany has this book series.
Old Sunday 19th February 2017, 21:38   #8
Swissboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
What a fail. No library in Germany has this book series.
Have you checked the bird specific institutes like Vogelwarte Radolfzell etc? Not sure whether the Swiss Vogelwarte has it.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 19th February 2017, 23:12   #9
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
Have you checked the bird specific institutes like Vogelwarte Radolfzell etc? Not sure whether the Swiss Vogelwarte has it.
I was confused by Andy's book title spelling. Because the correct title is Handbook of Australian, New Zealand & Antarctic birds. The books (with the correct title) are actually available.
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 15:46   #10
Swissboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I've so far managed to get 1-to 4 and paid between 150-350 per volume. 5-6 and 7 are usually expensive, often around 1K per volume is asked.

I'll just keep looking, I'll have them all eventually and at a price I'm comfortable with.

Andy
Not sure about postage, but vol 7 is currently on special at Andrew Isles: But it looks like they are only selling it as a package with the new Australian FG.
!

Old Monday 20th March 2017, 19:10   #11
Bubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
Real books are just not that much in demand any more, I'm afraid.
The same was said about vinyl records!
Old Sunday 26th March 2017, 06:04   #12
mjh73

I have Volume 1( A&B) and Volume 2 if anyone wants to make me an offer!
Old Sunday 26th March 2017, 19:13   #13
Bubbs

I have the two books of volume seven in unopened condition (as new) for sale in the U.K. They have been kept in closed cabinets and cannot be told from new.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: