Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Experience the Great Outdoors. New Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars. Visit our online shop to find out more!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 23rd September 2016, 18:37   #51
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Btw, Hermit - nice results with the native CX telezoom
From what I have seen poking around on review sites etc, the iq of the J5 sensor seems right up there with the Sony RX10 III.
Chosun
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
Nikon have now said they have not discontinued the 1 series,in what way it will remain they have not said.
If Nikon had shown signs of taking the system further i would not have bought into m4/3 but its too late now.
The charm of the Nikon 1 is the stark alternative it offers to other options, DSLR and M4/3. If someone puts IQ and professional technology above all else, the choice will be the DSLR. Reduced weight and smaller size means "mirrorless". There are lots of reasons why many prefer M4/3 cameras over the Nikon 1 system, e.g. no dedicated macro lens, fewer options of a flash, no bracketing, fears about the future of the system, and generally just much more options in the ever growing M4/3 world.

On the other side, the insecure future of the Nikon 1 system has led to much reduced prices in the "used market", and if one can live with the limitations, it is a high-quality, affordable solution in particular for shooting birds in flight.
Old Saturday 24th September 2016, 06:26   #52
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
The charm of the Nikon 1 is the stark alternative it offers to other options, DSLR and M4/3. If someone puts IQ and professional technology above all else, the choice will be the DSLR. Reduced weight and smaller size means "mirrorless". There are lots of reasons why many prefer M4/3 cameras over the Nikon 1 system, e.g. no dedicated macro lens, fewer options of a flash, no bracketing, fears about the future of the system, and generally just much more options in the ever growing M4/3 world.
One reason to actually prefer the Nikon 1 over M4/3 is the FT1 adapter that allows you to use any Nikkor on the Nikon 1. That really makes a difference if you already have a number of Nikon lenses. And even with a cheapish AFS-Nikkor like the 70-300 VR you get fast autofocus and usable image quality up to about 250mm (=675mm equivalent on full frame).

The other big advantage of the Nikon 1 over M4/3 is that AF-C works nicely; that's a bad weakness of M4/3. Sure, that may change with the announcement of the Olympus EM1 MkII, but for the time being the Nikon 1 (with all it's weaknesses) will beat any M4/3 camera with regard to AF-C.

Quote:
On the other side, the insecure future of the Nikon 1 system has led to much reduced prices in the "used market", and if one can live with the limitations, it is a high-quality, affordable solution in particular for shooting birds in flight.
You can say that again. I bought a second Nikon 1 V1 body in excellent shape with only 9,000 clicks for under 200 used earlier this year. And that included an FT1 and two batteries. Sure, many people complain about the sensor of the Nikon 1 V1, but up to 800 ISO the results are usable without too much work in PP. 1600 ISO works in a pinch as well, provided you use RAW and make sure your PP is up to scratch.

Hermann
Old Monday 24th October 2016, 18:06   #53
HermitIbis

Five photos from a recent trip to Lake Constance. Photo numero three shows my first encounter with a Water Rail. Clearly a "better bird" than two ducks taking off from the water surface, but shooting 20+ photos of water action in 15 fps mode remains a great feature of the N1 cameras.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crow.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	603065  Click image for larger version

Name:	Redstert.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	603066  Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Rail.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	603067  Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducks taking off 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	603068  Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducks taking off 3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	558.0 KB
ID:	603127  

Last edited by HermitIbis : Monday 24th October 2016 at 22:00.
Old Tuesday 25th October 2016, 04:42   #54
nikonmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
One reason to actually prefer the Nikon 1 over M4/3 is the FT1 adapter that allows you to use any Nikkor on the Nikon 1. That really makes a difference if you already have a number of Nikon lenses. And even with a cheapish AFS-Nikkor like the 70-300 VR you get fast autofocus and usable image quality up to about 250mm (=675mm equivalent on full frame).

The other big advantage of the Nikon 1 over M4/3 is that AF-C works nicely; that's a bad weakness of M4/3. Sure, that may change with the announcement of the Olympus EM1 MkII, but for the time being the Nikon 1 (with all it's weaknesses) will beat any M4/3 camera with regard to AF-C.

You can say that again. I bought a second Nikon 1 V1 body in excellent shape with only 9,000 clicks for under 200 used earlier this year. And that included an FT1 and two batteries. Sure, many people complain about the sensor of the Nikon 1 V1, but up to 800 ISO the results are usable without too much work in PP. 1600 ISO works in a pinch as well, provided you use RAW and make sure your PP is up to scratch.

Hermann
This situation has changed already,i use the Panasonic GX8 with the 100-400 and AFC is very usable for BIF,still behind the top DSLRs but upto or better than the lower models.
Dont get me wrong i like the 1 series i kept my V2 and FT1 but the GX8 is way ahead of it.

A few images from the GX8
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1100111.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	603149  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100110.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	603150  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100090.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	603151  

Last edited by nikonmike : Tuesday 25th October 2016 at 04:45.
Old Saturday 12th November 2016, 17:32   #55
HermitIbis

Quote:
This situation has changed already,i use the Panasonic GX8 with the 100-400 and AFC is very usable for BIF,still behind the top DSLRs but upto or better than the lower models.
Dont get me wrong i like the 1 series i kept my V2 and FT1 but the GX8 is way ahead of it.
Unfortunately, top DSLRs are expensive.
Actually it is hard to know how much better top DSLRs really are. I've seen remarks from users of top DSLRs who say that series of AF-C shots can still include blurry images. Sounds very much like what I experience with the Nikon V2! People who own both systems, top DSLRs and mirrorless, say that the top DSLR's autofocus is more accurate. But I love the Nikon1 system for what it does for a fraction of the price.

Photographing birds in flight is dependable from so many factors - a slight change of your position, and suddenly you don't have the bird against a messy background without contrast, but against the sky or water surface, and the camera shines.

Birds that fly in a right angle to the observer are not as difficult as birds that come towards the camera, or fly away with accelerating speed. If I remember correctly, Olympus has advertised the latest model as having the fastest AF in the world. Even if this were true - I've heard it before -, it could refer to the time that the camera needs to acquire focus on the bird. It would be good to know more: is the AF so fast only for objects that are clearly visible or can it be confused by a nasty background? How reliable is the tracking, how many shots are blurry? I hope eventually someone will do the serious comparison tests, BIF fans all over the world would be grateful.

Recent photos below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cormorant.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	496.7 KB
ID:	605250  Click image for larger version

Name:	Duck.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	605251  Click image for larger version

Name:	Dove.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	605252  Click image for larger version

Name:	Duck2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	669.7 KB
ID:	605253  Click image for larger version

Name:	Kingfisher.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	605255  

Last edited by HermitIbis : Saturday 12th November 2016 at 17:53.
Old Saturday 31st December 2016, 16:07   #56
HermitIbis

Quote:
Birds that fly in a right angle to the observer are not as difficult as birds that come towards the camera, or fly away with accelerating speed.
I had planned to illustrate my observation above with sample photos, but never found the time for it. Maybe 2017. Lately I saw the following remark in a Canon thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Deryabin View Post
Big problems arise when taking pictures of a bird flying towards you.
During two seasons of using 5DSR I wasn’t able to take a single picture of a bird flying towards me. At the same time I did manage to take pretty good photos using the same 500/4+x1.7 at Canon 7D mark II.
So it seems even birders with top-notch cameras can have problems in these situations.

I have had lots of fun with the NikonOne in 2016. While I bought the V2 mainly for birds in flight, I soon learned to appreciate it for "water action" or macro work (using the 30-110 CX lens with extension tubes). Some examples below.

Happy New Year everybody!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kingfisher_5.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	572.7 KB
ID:	610026  Click image for larger version

Name:	Duck1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	574.6 KB
ID:	610027  Click image for larger version

Name:	Duck2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	528.6 KB
ID:	610028  Click image for larger version

Name:	Duck3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	633.9 KB
ID:	610029  Click image for larger version

Name:	Macro.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	610032  

Last edited by HermitIbis : Saturday 31st December 2016 at 16:12.
Old Tuesday 21st February 2017, 08:20   #57
HermitIbis

Three shots from an encounter with a Peregrine on Saturday. Coming towards me, I was able to get a series of 24 sharp photos in the 15fps mode with AF-C. With smaller birds flying into my direction the focus is often struggling, fortunately the Peregrine is a "slow" bird. And it is also sufficiently large to keep the focus square on the target. Only the 25th photo, when the bird was almost above me, shows the bird on the edge of the frame, so it is to be expected that it is blurry.

Can you expect a better AF performance from an old (2012) Nikon1 camera that costs a fraction of the latest M4/3 models?

Eventually, I hope, one of the leading camera companies will produce a camera with pattern recognition and speech software, so that you just have to say "raptor", and it instantly focuses on the bird. Not to forget the switch that converts the camera into a capable bat detector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Peregrine_1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	580.6 KB
ID:	615977  Click image for larger version

Name:	Peregrine_2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	580.9 KB
ID:	615978  Click image for larger version

Name:	Peregrine_3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	615979  
Old Sunday 26th February 2017, 22:41   #58
Neil

Quote:
Three shots from an encounter with a Peregrine on Saturday. Coming towards me, I was able to get a series of 24 sharp photos in the 15fps mode with AF-C. With smaller birds flying into my direction the focus is often struggling, fortunately the Peregrine is a "slow" bird. And it is also sufficiently large to keep the focus square on the target. Only the 25th photo, when the bird was almost above me, shows the bird on the edge of the frame, so it is to be expected that it is blurry.

Can you expect a better AF performance from an old (2012) Nikon1 camera that costs a fraction of the latest M4/3 models?

Eventually, I hope, one of the leading camera companies will produce a camera with pattern recognition and speech software, so that you just have to say "raptor", and it instantly focuses on the bird. Not to forget the switch that converts the camera into a capable bat detector.
I think it'll be a while before voice command cameras unfortunately. It would be useful for shutter release and self timers.
Nice to see someone still have fun with the V series Nikon. Looking at these three photos it seems only the first one is sharp. I am looking on a laptop though. I presume it was early on in the series. I would like to see a 100% crop of the head of one of the later in the series. I'll be photographing Peregrines myself later on this year and was thinking of the V2 and 70-200/2.8 combo. Should be fast enough.
Neil.
Old Monday 27th February 2017, 00:16   #59
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I see the second one as in focus on the breast. That to me is part of the challenge with long lenses, thin DOF

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th February 2017, 21:20   #60
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think it'll be a while before voice command cameras unfortunately. It would be useful for shutter release and self timers.
Nice to see someone still have fun with the V series Nikon. Looking at these three photos it seems only the first one is sharp. I am looking on a laptop though. I presume it was early on in the series. I would like to see a 100% crop of the head of one of the later in the series. I'll be photographing Peregrines myself later on this year and was thinking of the V2 and 70-200/2.8 combo. Should be fast enough.
Neil.
Thank you for the comments, Neil (and Niels). These three photos were the 8th, 22nd and 23rd of the series. Each is (roughly) a 1600x1200 pixels segment of the original, thus the first shot is "smaller". Looking at the original of the second (= 22nd) photo, the peregrine is in the upper left corner - I was already "losing contact" with the central focus point. Here are two earlier photos, the 13th and the 19th, when I still had the focus point on the bird.

This forum has narrow limits for posting images. At dpreview files can be large and include the exif information. For gallery photos a 100% view is available. Perhaps I'll make another attempt to edit some of these more carefully (I fear I pushed the dark areas too much) and post at dpreview, linking here. Or would it be better not to edit much and just do NR in DxO?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13th.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	487.7 KB
ID:	616793  Click image for larger version

Name:	19th.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	616794  
Old Thursday 16th March 2017, 12:08   #61
HermitIbis

I've edited three of the Peregrine photos again (with DxO Prime NR and little additional PP) and posted them in large versions at dpreview. Now it seems to me that the third of the three images isn't as sharp as the earlier shots in the series.

Below, another recent photo, a Gold Finch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gold Finch.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	618771  
Old Thursday 16th March 2017, 13:22   #62
Neil

Quote:
I've edited three of the Peregrine photos again (with DxO Prime NR and little additional PP) and posted them in large versions at dpreview. Now it seems to me that the third of the three images isn't as sharp as the earlier shots in the series.

Below, another recent photo, a Gold Finch.
I'll be back in Sydney on Saturday so next week I'll give the J5 and V2 and run on the scope and the 300/4 PF.
Neil.
Old Friday 17th March 2017, 19:00   #63
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I'll be back in Sydney on Saturday so next week I'll give the J5 and V2 and run on the scope and the 300/4 PF.
Neil.
Good luck, Neil. I wish you a Sparrowhawk within 5m as it just happened to me, when I was on my way to the supermarket. Having the V2 at 30fps worked well... 59 shots in 3 seconds, then the bird was gone.

Last edited by HermitIbis : Friday 17th March 2017 at 19:05.
Old Friday 17th March 2017, 23:36   #64
Neil

Quote:
Good luck, Neil. I wish you a Sparrowhawk within 5m as it just happened to me, when I was on my way to the supermarket. Having the V2 at 30fps worked well... 59 shots in 3 seconds, then the bird was gone.
Very lucky.
Neil
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 07:13   #65
nikonmike

Quote:
Thank you for the comments, Neil (and Niels). These three photos were the 8th, 22nd and 23rd of the series. Each is (roughly) a 1600x1200 pixels segment of the original, thus the first shot is "smaller". Looking at the original of the second (= 22nd) photo, the peregrine is in the upper left corner - I was already "losing contact" with the central focus point. Here are two earlier photos, the 13th and the 19th, when I still had the focus point on the bird.

This forum has narrow limits for posting images. At dpreview files can be large and include the exif information. For gallery photos a 100% view is available. Perhaps I'll make another attempt to edit some of these more carefully (I fear I pushed the dark areas too much) and post at dpreview, linking here. Or would it be better not to edit much and just do NR in DxO?
If you have already then i have missed it,out of interest i would like to have another go with the V2 for BIF,in the past i could never keep the bird in the frame with it unlike the M4/3.

I will be using the 30-110 on larger birds that i will be able to get close to,can you give me a run down on your settings please,
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 17:41   #66
HermitIbis

Quote:
If you have already then i have missed it,out of interest i would like to have another go with the V2 for BIF,in the past i could never keep the bird in the frame with it unlike the M4/3.

I will be using the 30-110 on larger birds that i will be able to get close to,can you give me a run down on your settings please,
I had posted a link in the short note accompanying the Gold Finch shot above. Someone had started threads in various "mirrorless" sections at dpreview to find out which mirrorless had the best AF-C for BIF. Personally I believe that AF-C is only part of the fun, often (for small birds) a high shutter speed or a 30fps ability is relevant. I felt obliged to post some examples. But there hasn't been much of a debate.

The main mirrorless BIF rivals to the N1 + CX70-300 are probably the camera which you are using, Panasonic GX8 + Pana-LEICA 100-400, or the Olympus EM-1 Mk ii + Oly 300/f4 + MK-14. Both have 800+mm efov, a nice focal length for birding. To use a prime lens can't be too limiting, as 90% of my birding with the N1 is at 810mm efov. This small disadvantage is perhaps compensated by Olympus' "Capture Pro" mode that helps to catch the moment when birds fly away.

That you had more problems to keep the bird in the frame with the N1 than with your M4/3 may be the fault of the FT-1. A few days ago I took a long series of a starting cormorant (ran on the water, then took off). The bird was large in the frame, no need to crop - and still there was only one photo in the series where the bird wasn't in the frame, so that I cut off its head. I rarely miss a mid-sized or large bird.

My settings (with the cx70-300) are Manual mode at 15fps, AF-C - but no subject tracking, as Stirr prefers. I need to practice that more. So it is almost always the fixed central focus square for me. Plus centre-weighed metering (in his latest article Stirr says he varies between matrix or center-weighted).
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 18:52   #67
nikonmike

Thanks thats pretty much as i thought although i wasnt sure between center or matrix as on the panasonic i use matrix,

Been playing in the traffic today as the weather was too poor for birding,i did 50 shots @ 15fps of a car coming at me @ 30mph and got a very mixed result,it kept being in focus going out coming in ect.

I tried the next one at 5 fps did 22 shots and every one was sharp so i will try 15 and 5 hopefully tomorrow.

Latest update i changed from the GX8 to the G80 as its better to hold and if anything it may have the edge on the GX8.
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 18:55   #68
nikonmike

As a note on prime v zoom this is the details from my last session as you can see where i shoot i would be stuck trying to use a prime.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	619241  
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 21:29   #69
HermitIbis

Quote:
As a note on prime v zoom this is the details from my last session as you can see where i shoot i would be stuck trying to use a prime.
Agreed - if I think about it, there are quite a few occasions where I like to take a 70mm photo in between. A prime lens lacks flexibility. Also, this concrete Olympus set-up weighs 2.1 kg, perhaps too heavy for my taste.
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 07:53   #70
Vespobuteo

Zooms are nice and flexible, but with the Oly 300mm/f4 prime AF speed will be faster as the camera's af-system gets more light to work with. The dimmer light and at higher frame rates the greater the difference will be.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Tuesday 21st March 2017 at 08:12.
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 11:42   #71
nikonmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
Zooms are nice and flexible, but with the Oly 300mm/f4 prime AF speed will be faster as the camera's af-system gets more light to work with. The dimmer light and at higher frame rates the greater the difference will be.
Not a lot if you add the 1.4 but on its own yes.
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 11:48   #72
nikonmike

Gave it a try and must admit it worked well to say i only had a 110mm lens,i think i have learned a lot about using mirrorless since i last tried BIF with thre V2.

15 fps is not for me but 5 fps on it is very nice,the sensor shows its age though in high contrast situations.

There are 3 more files in this set but it will not let me upload them
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8196.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	619345  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8197.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	619346  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8198.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	619347  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8199.jpg
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	619348  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8200.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	619349  

Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 11:50   #73
nikonmike

A few more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8207.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	619350  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8208.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	619351  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8209.jpg
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	619352  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8210.jpg
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	619353  
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 11:51   #74
nikonmike

Some ducks,needed a longer lens for these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8122.jpg
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	619354  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8123.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	619355  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8124.jpg
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	619356  
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 11:53   #75
nikonmike

A couple of pigeons.i could only get to the local public park hence the subjects.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8132.jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	619357  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8134.jpg
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	619358  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread