• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I hate my scope help me with a new one! (1 Viewer)

fi8she4r

Hello everyone,

I have a Bushnell Elite 80 with a 20x60 eyepiece. I have had the scope for about 4 years now and loved it when I first got it. But it is a straight eyepiece and I really want an angle. I often view raptors at great distances and have a hard time getting a tripod that is strong enough to support it at an overhead height. The scope will mostly be used to view waterfowl and shorebirds at great distance. One thing that I have really gotten into is seawatching. I find that with my scope I can not keep up with birds and it just not very clear over 30x. So I want something with a wide clear view and angled eyepiece.

I have around 1500 USD to spend. I have been watching ebay because I feel I will not be able to find a new scope that fits the bill for 1500 dollars.

Does anyone know of a good scope that will fit the bill?

I found a like new Leica APO 77 with 20x60 scope for 1300. But I'm not sure if Leica will repair it if I need it. Because it has been discontinued since 2007. Is this a safe bet?

I like Swarovski and Zeiss but can't find anything in my budget. I have tried Vortex Razor scopes but I don't like them.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Or even just tell me to put up with it until I have the money to get a high end scope.

I just want something that I will want to spend the rest of my life using.

Thanks,
Zak

.........it is a straight eyepiece and I really want an angle. I often view raptors at great distances and have a hard time getting a tripod that is strong enough to support it at an overhead height. The scope will mostly be used to view waterfowl and shorebirds at great distance. One thing that I have really gotten into is seawatching. ...........
I found a like new Leica APO 77 with 20x60 scope for 1300. But I'm not sure if Leica will repair it if I need it. Because it has been discontinued since 2007. Is this a safe bet?

...............Zak

Except for the overhead raptors, your straight scope type should actually be better than an angled one for the main uses you are listing. Particularly for seawatching, if you stare down instead of in the direction your scope points to, you easily miss passing birds that you get when opening your "inactive" eye every now and then.

As for the Leica APO 77, I'm sure you will not have any problems having it repaired if necessary. There are two other points I want to point out, though. For one, its objective diameter is smaller than what you have now. And it is a rather heavy scope. I have owned one till a bit over a year ago, and I have replaced it in part because of the weight. The other issue was that I need to keep my glasses on when using the scope. And because of the glasses my FOV was very much reduced with the zoom eyepiece. For a long time, I felt like putting up with that problem. But when I realised that there are zoom eyepieces now that allow me a much better view, I looked for a replacement.

By the way, the price of that Leica scope is a bit steep, considering its age. I think you should get such a scope in good condition for not more than 1000$.

Last edited:
If you must stay below the 1500 mark, the Opticron ES 80 ED is a good choice. Of course, there is sample variation, but good ones are tack sharp all the way to 60x.

If you can stretch it higher, the Meopta S2 82 mm that Mooreorless linked is truly excellent, but I think you'd be better off saving 100 of the price and getting it with the 20-70x zoom instead of the 30-60x wide zoom. I have tested it pretty extensively with both eyepieces, and ended up preferring the 20-70x by a pretty clear margin. The 30-60x has a lot of angular magnification distortion which means a lot of rolling ball effect when panning, and the field of view as well as eyeglass-friendliness of the 20-70x zoom are good at 20x. Also, the scope is so good that when viewing shorebirds and waterfowl at great distances, you can really benefit from the 70x magnification.

Kimmo

Thanks everyone!

I have never looked through any of these scopes. How would you compare them to a Kowa TSN 883? I just found on ebay close to my price range. Although the auction still has a day left. Ebay always gets my hopes up with people that just have to win without caring of the cost, ha. Its brand new with a 20x60 eye piece.

Swissboy, I agree with the straight scope. I guess I should have add that my short girlfriend always has trouble viewing through my scope and I spend ever fall hawkwatching. I also led bird walks and I'm usually the only one with a scope which angled would make it so much easier. So I do think the angled is necessary. I don't really care about weight but I agree at that is a lot for an old scope. I guess the name tag is worth a 1,000, just kidding.

Zak
in 2012 I decided to send my (2005) APO Televid to the Leica Customer Service in Solms for a general check and an inner cleaning...at 0,00 euros: they picked up the scope at my house in Genoa, and after only 13 days (including two weekends) they returned the scope as new inside a superb package plus a free micro-fibre cloth!
I was delighted indeed...
The scope was however within the 10-year warranty, I do not know what it happens with not prime owner's products.

Except for the overhead raptors, your straight scope type should actually be better than an angled one for the main uses you are listing. Particularly for seawatching, if you stare down instead of in the direction your scope points to, you easily miss passing birds that you get when opening your "inactive" eye every now

Gotta agree. When I upgraded will be a straight scope. Visited the hawk watch down at curry hammock in the keys this year. Even the guys on hawk watch preferred a straight scope to the angle scope they were using for that same reason. Also if it rains the chance of eyepiece getting wet increases. Something to think about

Randy

Fisher,

The Kowa 883 is superb. Get it if you can for the right price, but be sure it is in good condition and has not been banged about. Of the scopes mentioned in this thread, it is probably the best, but the Meopta comes very close.

Kimmo

Randy,

Thanks for the input. I use to be a straight scope person. I would tell people the same thing. I use both types often for work. I prefer angled these days. I think they both have their pros and cons. I think its more of a preference then functionality for the observer. Using with groups and high birds I like the angled. I have been doing a lot of shorebird foraging observation and really like the angled for that. I will still have access to some great glass whenever I want to use it, angled or straight.

I have been thinking about a new scope for over a year now. I have been looking into so much that I just want to be done with it and buy something. That being said I have decided to slow my roll. I feel rushed and we all know that isn't a good thing. I really want to look through Opticron and Meopta scopes. Plus it has been a while since I have looked through different scopes at the same time.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will keep you posted. Maybe by doing this I can save a little more money.

When seawatching I found the angled better for prolonged comfort, which I found to be critical.

I have the ES80 Opticron and it is good value for money. But it can't compete with a Swarv at higher end of magnification, and if sea watching is very important to you, do get the best you can get because you will appreciate the extra 20% quality they give you on max magnification. I really struggled picking up distant birds when everyone with a Swarv was picking them up. A Kowa 883 is said to be very very good!

Putting aside the straight vs angled issue, I have to wonder what is wrong with your current scope. The scope you have isn't the greatest, but it is a decent scope. You say you can not "keep up" with birds, which implies to me closer range viewing than the rest of your message asserts, because at great distance it should not be hard to track birds even with a narrow field of view zoom, unless you have a really awful tripod head. So I'm thinking that your biggest issue right now is with your tripod and head. I would recommend that before you get a better scope you get a better tripod with a nice pan fluid head. Even if/when you get a better scope, you'll need the tripod.

--AP

IMHO, think about getting the angled version of the 80mm Elite.
Bushnells qc is good and the scope sells for a decent price allowing you to pickup a tripod and head, having two scopes ready to go.
I gave mine away because I could afford a Swaro and wanted to stoke my ego and needed some more eye relief.
Everyone who didn't have eye problems who tried the Bushnell liked it.
The Meopta 82 is a very good scope, you may have to save more, but it is very slightly better than the Bushnell and has better eye relief since it is a newer design with a little bit better coatings.
Performance better than the Elite comes at a price and I would really take the time to see how much better a different scope would really be.
Good luck.
Art

Hello everyone, sorry for dropping off the face of the earth. This past week has been busy with the holidays and trying to finish up the project I'm working on. Plus a Crested Caracara was found in Virgina, only the 3rd record so I had to chase.

I did get a new tripod and it does help. I know a tripod makes all the difference. Today I was trying to scope a pond and was upset that even with the new tripod it was distorted a little from shake. I looked up and realize I was on 60x. Something that I would have never been able to do before. I might add that it was blowing 25 mph. So that does help. I have been spoiled by work being able to use the best equipment. So when I go out on my free time I am disappointed. That's the biggest reason I want to upgrade.

I don't think you need the best to identify birds but it the enjoyment of having a nice clear view is what I'm after.

For the price that Bushnell Elite I do think it is a good scope. I just want more and it's something I don't want to do again. So I will wait and get the best I can.

Mike the vortex is a decent scope. But for 1500 dollars I think there are better ones out there. I felt you lost a lot detail zooming over 30x. I was using it for Red Knot resights and reading tags was difficult.

I can't believe how expense used spotting scopes are. I guess they really hold their value. I done playing games. When I do figure out what I'm going to get I will buy it new from a store.

If you can find a used Nikon EDG for a reasonable price I highly recommend one. I got my EDG 65mm for $1070 in brand new condition and am absolutely thrilled with it. I prefer it over the Swaro 65mm as well as the Vortex Razor. I would compare it closely to a Leica Apo 65.

Mike the vortex is a decent scope. But for 1500 dollars I think there are better ones out there. I felt you lost a lot detail zooming over 30x. I was using it for Red Knot resights and reading tags was difficult.

Which scopes do you consider to be better for that price?

I would like to know what I could replace my Vortex with! ;)

Celestron Regal M2 - 80ED with a Baader 17mm eyepiece.

See my post in the link below (the 7th from the top ) of the Celestron Regal M2 - 80ED with a Baader 17mm eyepiece, for around $1,100. :smoke:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=289827

Attachments

• Sca Fell March 2014 - 1.jpg
    Sca Fell March 2014 - 1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Sca Fell March 2014 - 2.jpg
    Sca Fell March 2014 - 2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Sca Fell March 2014 - 3.jpg
    Sca Fell March 2014 - 3.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Sca Fell March 2014 - 4.jpg
    Sca Fell March 2014 - 4.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back