• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hail and Birds (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Presently, I've got quarter size hail teeming down for the last 5 minutes. With that size of a piece of ice coming with tremendous force, could that seriously injure or kill a bird?

KC, I think a small bird would be in big trouble, but surely the vast majority find cover before getting smacked. I know when it storms here everybody gets out from under pretty darn quick.

Thanks longbow. I guess I was really concerned about fledglings in the nest. Hopefully they made it through.

I had some hail here yesterday, only grain of rice sized though! Confused the birds as the Collared Dove kept picking them up thinking they were seeds.

I do remember a heavy hailstorm (for the UK) when I was a lad where we had a huge number of quite big hailstones (everything was white afterwards) and they knocked out some of our frogs in the garden and a few were killed. Glad we don't really get the kind of hailstorms you get in the US!

There was just a heavy hail storm in China's Anhui Province. Thousands of farmed domestic Mallards were killed. The ducks were mostly in the field without shelter. I wonder how the outcome could've been different if there were trees around.

Here is the video interview and its transcript. The video is disturbing, showing ducks dying a slow death. Google translator is not doing a very good job on the villagers vernacular Chinese.

Hails Killed Ducks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back