• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Khao Yai bat cave species? (1 Viewer)

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
England
Does anyone know which bats are in the famous bat cave at Khao Yai NP, Thailand. Can't find any onfo online about this

Cheers Mike - what other species are in there? We saw the Freetails but there were alot of bigger, slower flying bats too......?

Not sure about the others, but the biggest number (over a million?) are the free-tails. I don't remember seeing any other species but it was nearly a decade ago when I last saw them.

Was there in '04, so not far off for me either Mike! Just has always bugged me.....and can't find any info - other than the freetails - about which bats inhabit the caves. Odd really, as it such a big tourist venue.

I *think* there are a lot of naked bats in there as well (I'm pretty sure I read that on mammalwatching at some point), so it might be them because they're relatively large and slow-flying

Scratch that -- I just checked and their range doesn't go that far north!!

Last edited:
I am bumping up the thread. Here are some images and I would welcome ID. Bat 4. and 5. are the same individual.

Attachments

• bat1.jpg
    bat1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 67
  • bat2.jpg
    bat2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 71
  • bat3.jpg
    bat3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 95
  • bat4.jpg
    bat4.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 74
  • bat5.jpg
    bat5.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 68
what an awesome sight they are.

And smell! Amazing blast of ammonia.
I got bitten by one there when i removed one which had landed on a young woman in our group. Thought nothing of it til someone casually mentioned they knew someone who'd died of rabies.. cue rabies jabs.

To answer myself. For the benefit of future visitors, the first three bats are probably Intermediate Horseshoe Bats Rhinolophus affinis, the next two Malayan Horseshoe Bats Rhinolophus malayanus, then is possible Nepalese Whiskered Myotis Myotis muricola, although I am not completely sure even of a genus. Flying ones are likely Wrinkle-lipped Free-tailed Bats Chaerephon plicatus.

I freely admit I am not a bat expert, and would be happy for a correction, even long time from now.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back